Forward or Backward? Which Way Are You Going?

By February 16, 2011Get Inspired

Comments

• Avatar melissa p. says:

i feel like i’ve been hanging on by my nails. it’s time for some forward motion! january hit with a bang. week 1: miscarriage and d&e. week 2: dad diagnosed w/ brain tumor. week 3: dad diagnosed w/ rare cancer (angiosarcoma) week 4: dad hospitalized. february: week 1: dad surgeries. week 2: i get bronchitis. kids get flu. week 3: here we are. depression. frustration. tired and weary. i needed to hear that song today. thank you for being a go-to source to help take me to my Father.

• Avatar sharla r says:

Melissa P,
    I have never met you but your post brought tears and tugged at my heart. May you and your family be lifted up in prayer and praise for strength, for healing, for joy, and for peace. Under His wings you will find shelter from all that is raging war against you. I am reminded to “Let be and be still, and know (recognize and understand) that I am God!…” Ps 46:10 (Amplified Bible)
    Blessings

Sharla,
      What an amazing woman you are to take the time to encourage someone you haven’t even met. You didn’t have to, but you did.

Thank you.

• Avatar Sarah Cicutti (Morgan) says:

Just going through so much change as a new mom and (stay at home mom) and wanting the Lord to really work in me as I love on this new little life! Struggling with contentment in this season as finances are very tight and living on one income is rough. The Lord used this song and in tandem with my quiet time, just reminded me how much I need contentment in things UNSEEN and how I need to complain less and be more thankful. Thanks.

Sarah,
      Have you read Ann Voskamp’s new book – “One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are”

It’s amazing and I think it would really speak to you in this season. At the very least, check out her blog – http://www.aholyexperience.com

Praying for you!

• Avatar Sarah says:

No, I haven’t read that one. I’ll check it out. Thanks a ton. Also taking your advice on audio books so perhaps I’ll get it on audio!

• Avatar Kara says:

Melissa…I’m so sorry for how much your heart must be hurting right now.
    our daughter died in 2008…and this was my cling-to verse:
    “Pour out your heart before Him; God is a refuge for us.” ~Ps 62:8
    …pour out your heart to Him…He loves you and is listening.

• How have i never heard this song before? It is PERFECT!

• Avatar karin says:

What is it about your site (or is it you, Kat 😉 ) that has me “commenting” when I never do on others? (My first comment ever was one in which we were discussing on your site the things that keep us up late & I mentioned that you & Ann were a couple of my problems in that regard. 🙂 And, you asked if you were grouped with the lovely Ann Voskamp – yes, you were & are).
    Well, I’m now writing my 2nd comment ever. I just read the post you recommended to Melissa, “If you’ve ever felt discouraged.” Thank you for posting that and for your encouragement. That was the Lord’s grace to me tonight, as I needed to feel and think on and remember His great arms of love that engulf me with a great Daddy’s love.
    I have been crying out to Him for help and deliverance and had been wondering if this “ceiling” I feel is a form of unbelief on my part…which I think, it is. So, thank you for helping me to shed tears, and feel, and thaw a bit, and believe a bit more, and remember again that my Daddy in heaven is right here with me, loving me still though times are tough.
    I have had health battle after health battle the last few years, right after having my three lovely boys (just turned 6 & soon to be 4, & soon to be 4). In the past 3 1/2 years I have experienced 2 weeks in the ICU fighting for my life when my twins were just 2 months old, open chest surgery, brain surgery, two unrelated large tumors, one being a brain tumor that had hemorrhaged, two rare & serious auto-immune disorders on top of all that, mis-diagnosis after misdiagnosis, lost hormone functions, fibromyalgia, tons of medications & physical therapy, chronic fatigue, chronic headaches, pain, pain, pain, and other side effects and disfunction that I won’t get into… And, three of these present diagnoses, I just received, one after the other in the last 2 months. Presently, I am contending with my eyes literally being pushed out of their sockets because of attacking antibodies that don’t know what they’re doing, not to mention new mystery skin conditions all over my legs that are most likely linked to this new autoimmune flare-up…
    My body feels like an old, decrepit car that is falling apart, one piece at a time. Each time I get a new ailment, I can’t but help ask the Lord, “Really, Lord?… Another thing?… Really? You don’t think I have enough?… And, I’m to keep teaching, and training, and raising these 3 beautiful, little boys, how?… Ok. Your will, not mine. Your ways, not mine.” He is good and I long to be with Him, and I long for it all the more with each passing, difficult day, but I also long to be strong & healthy & vibrant & here & useful for my husband and boys and others for a long time… The Lord knows. Thanks for helping me think on His loving care.
    It’s a beautiful post. I read this and thought it was for me:
    “And then? He made a decision. To finish. He knew he wouldn’t come in 1st, 2nd or 3rd. He knew he wouldn’t cross the finish line in victory. But he decided he would cross that line. So, up he struggled and he hobbled down the track, grimacing in pain.” I thought, “ok, that’s what I need to do, too.” But, you didn’t end there. That wasn’t the kicker. All of what you wrote after that was. It’s not about me, other than me being faithful, but it IS all about the Father and what He does.

I think I’ll be chewing on that post for a long time, Lord willing. Thank you, Kat. You make me wish I could just call you on the phone and chat about the things of the Lord together. If not here, one day in eternity, right?
    God bless your ministry. God bless your writing. God bless your Mommying. God bless you in every way. Thanking our Father for you, my dear sister in Christ.
    in Him, and for Him,
    karin

• Avatar Messy Wife says:

As you can see in my “signature”, getting organized is my major obstacle that creates more obstacles (some literal ones) for me to overcome. It is also one of the reasons that I was linked to your site and being attracted by it.

I have started my own blog (no post yet) and named “To be Transformed” because I have the same believe as it is written in the song – change will happen because of Him. I had lost hope before and I had given up. But, perhaps, my friends are praying for me. Or, perhaps, I can see how my temper (out of frustration of not getting anything done) has affect my children. I feel the urge to work with God again. I haven’t done much different yet (except reading blogs). I am though starting to plan for waking up early.

I have been going backwards but hoping to make a u-turn.

• Avatar Kris M says:

I am desperately trying to overcome this overwhelming sense of self-doubt (as a mother, wife, sister, daughter, friend, co-worker). I feel like I’m falling short at every role I have in life. So, I’m trying to not focus on the weaknesses and mistakes I have but to celebrate my strengths!

• Avatar Mommy Tab says:

Celebrate your weakness! It’s in our weakness that we can see and experience God’s strength! Ask him for his grace and strength!

My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. II Corinthians 2:9

• Avatar Melissa says:

We used your statement “We can let obstacles or vision determine our direction” as the springboard for our discussion at last month’s miscarriage/stillbirth/infertility ministry gathering. Thanks for posting this!