The Purpose of Inspired To Action: My Thoughts and Your Input

By January 10, 2011General

To start off this new year I wanted to share some of my vision for this blog and the community we have here.

Who Is The Blog For?

Moms who want to live purposefully and passionately but often feel tired, overwhelmed, or discouraged.

Moms who thrive when they have community, inspiration and encouragement.

Goals for Inspired To Action

1. Help readers have a daily time with God.

2. Help readers live purposefully. (mission statements/goals/daily planning)

3. Help readers develop helpful/time saving routines and habits.

4. Inspire readers to mentor and encourage their children as well as other moms.

Of course, we’ll talk about a lot of other topics but I think these four points lay the foundation for excellence in every other area of our lives.

What Do You Need?

I’d love to get a grid for where you are at so that we can work together to made a plan to get to where you want to go. And if you have any suggestions on how I can better serve and encourage you, please feel free to share those in the comments as well.

What are you biggest challenges as a believer and mother?

Patience? Being consistent? Discouragement? Lack of community? Organization?

Comments

• Avatar Robyn says:

Patience! Patience! Patience! And sometimes my own grumpy attitude. But I find with enough rest, time to ‘get things done’ including shower and write and everyday chores, and some inspiration, community, encouragement, and an eye on the ‘big picture’ patience is a lot easier to come by. Hence the reason I adore your blog so – it covers everything I need!

• I think it’s hard to be consistent. I often feel drained doing the everyday mundane tasks and wish I had more time to relax. But when the baby needs changed, fed, put down to sleep, and the 4 year old needs to do school, brush her teeth, and take a nap, I gotta do it!! So I think it’s great to have community with other moms who are doing the same thing, and encouraging each other to do it better!! Maximize Your Mornings has definitely helped me to do my job better!!! I love it!!

• Avatar Katie says:

As a mom who works outside the home, I think my biggest challenge is trying to manage my time wisely. When I’m home with my husband and daughter, it’s easy to neglect my home and other commitments in order to spend time with them. Both are important and necessary, and finding a balance day-to-day is hard.

Katie,
      That’s such a great point. I stay at home and I still feel that way. Some days the kitchen is a mess but I made forts all day with my youngest. Other days we run errands all day without much play. Balance…

• Avatar patty says:

Kat,
    i LOVE your site and it has been a great help to me! it has helped me to see the importance of my role as wife, mommy, child of God, etc, and the importance of where my priorities need to be.

my struggle: consistency!!! i so need to get up earlier and struggle with doing so. i desperately want accountability, but have a hard time finding it. i’ve seen on here that you have accountability thru your facebook, but i don’t do facebook, so i can’t particapate in that. i would love any thoughts/suggestions you have for me.

thank you for your site and your willingness to help other mommies who so desperately want to be good, godly mommies….

patty

Patty,
      Have you thought about doing Twitter? You could totally do it anonymously and we have a wonderful community of moms there each morning. We’d love you have you join us!

• Avatar Maggie says:

I am always so challenged and encouraged by your blogs. Thanks for speaking truth, even though it might be hard to hear! I think the most challenging thing for me is to continue to put God above everything else. It’s hard to stop and have my quiet time when dishes need done, dinner needs made, the house needs cleaned, but I find that when I take the time to be quiet with my Lord, He puts my desires in perspective and gives me strength and patience to do what needs to be done!

Maggie,
      Oh, it IS such a struggle to hear His still small voice above the chaos of our lives, isn’t it? But as you’ve said, so worth it!

• Avatar Misti says:

My biggest struggle is consistency!!! It effects every part of my life… my quiet time, exercise, organization, craft time, etc. Thank you for your blog & the encouragement that you give!

• Avatar Jane says:

Love the blog. Posts seem to be written just for me – with reminders/encouragement I need to hear. Plus as a new full time stay-at-home mom (worked part-time previously) – the routines/schedules have really helped me organize my days.

I struggle with patience & anger (seems to be my go to response)

Jane,
      I’m so glad the blog has encouraged you! Hopefully, we’ll all learn a bit more patience in 2011. I know I need it!

• Avatar Stacey says:

I am a go-getter and really organized so once I have my focus and get my lists together I am fine. What I am learning and need to work on is my balance of time (part-time work/house/kids/family/church). I really want to focus on teaching and encouraging my twins and to keep making time with God and rest (going to bed at a decent hour) an important priority.

• Avatar Kim says:

For me it is consistency and organization.

• Avatar Carolyn says:

I struggle most with patience. Before kids I thought I was a patient person – after having 2 boys, God has shown me patience is an area I definitely need to work on. I also struggle with discouragement but I think this goes hand and hand with my lack of patience.

• Avatar Natalie says:

First of all, I love your site and have gleaned so much helpful information and guidance from it!

For me, personally, I would love new tools for decision making. We’re in a season where we are making big decisions for our family and I would love more tools for doing that.

I also struggle with parenting from a perspective of grace and gentleness and have had to work a great deal on this as well. I would love more strategies and scriptural basis for this.

Thanks, Kat!

• Avatar Natalie says:

Oh, and Christian accountability- what it looks like, how to get hooked up with someone, etc. And a prayer partner- can be someone else or the same person. These have radically changed my walk!

• Avatar Emily says:

Kat, I also love your blog. It is one of many I read, and the email alerts are a life-saver! 🙂 Then I don’t have to go find you; you’re in my inbox, waiting to help me out.

My big issue is that, while I have the time to accomplish much, I don’t have the motivation. I have a part-time job outside the home, and on my days at home I tend to just relax a bit too much and put off anything I don’t feel like doing. My home isn’t very clean, it’s very messy, and I know that no one else is coming over to take care of this… it’s got to be me… but I just don’t get off my duff and do things. I read email or my current book, I putter around the kitchen but don’t get much done, or I end up watching brainless TV all afternoon, and then it’s time to pick up the kids from school and do homework and get some food on the table and greet my hubby and clean up from dinner and take baths and get the kids to bed… whew! Then I’m REALLY tired out, and I don’t want to do anything for the evening… it’s a vicious cycle. 🙂

Help! (And I only say that because I know you can, somehow!) Thank you!

• Avatar Marni says:

My biggest challenges as a mother and believer is focusing my time on God. Putting my own thoughts aside, and letting Him just get inside my head so much that what pours out is only Him through whatever I experience in this life. It is a huge challenge because of all the “Mommy” cries sent out daily…and the dirty diapers that have to be changed while still trying to get him to potty train…and the constant correction that needs to be given daily. Then top it off with whatever else I am experiencing in life at the moment, and I am thinking about it deeply – getting God in the mix can be an enormous challenge.

It is so easy to cast Him aside because we don’t see Him – but the only way we can see Him, is to open our Bibles. Since I have been a bit more focused on that, I can see Him more – but it doesn’t remove the challenge of keeping focus.

• Avatar Rachel says:

I struggle with patience, gentleness, and I feel like I am always negative. I dread things that haven’t even happened and tend to fear the worst. I have a 3-1/2 year old daughter and a 6 week old daughter. My husband’s new position at work has him out on the road (in snowy PA weather) sometimes in the middle of the night. Right now I feel so overwhelmed and can’t see the light at the end of the tunnel. I rely on God to help me get through the day. I know this time will pass and things will balance out again, but often it seems like things are out of control. Thank you for your blog.

• Avatar Danielle says:

I think the biggest issue I have is dealing with matters of the heart with my girls. I so often want a quick fix for behavior…but it always takes more time and effort than the typical quick fix. At times when my expectations are unmet in terms of scheduling, and accomplishing things because I have taken the time to deal with their hearts…I can become frustrated, snappy or resentful! I am working on grounding myself in God’s word…working through the fruit of the Spirit and what each looks like in my life…but any insight is always welcome!!!!!

• Avatar Daphne says:

Hello,
    I also find your blogs a challenge, inspiration, and encouragement! I work fulltime online from home. I have three kids (3months, 3 years, 4.5 years) and my youngest is on a apnea home monitor. For me, I struggle most with making the most of the time I have and being consistent. I am trying to work on a routine that will enable all of us to make the most out of our days. Thanks for your help!

• Avatar Daphne says:

Also my hubby is a special education teacher who coaches 3 seasons of sports. So he is working a lot. He has some health issues that make him tired a lot so I feel like I need to do a lot of it on my own.

Thanks again!

• Avatar Taylor says:

Oh I am so thankful for you and for your blog, Kat! It has helped me SO much in my walk since the spring when I discovered it. I would say, yes. All of what you mentioned. I have such a hard time being consistent. It’s easier when I have a few weeks off, like I have had for Christmas and New Year’s…but I start back to work on Wednesday and I’m not looking forward to how I’ll be as a mother then…
    I feel really bad when I’m away from my kids doing the work that I’m called to right now. I’m looking forward to when the language learning section is over but then my kids will be in school 🙁 I would appreciate more words to moms who work out of the home, as so many blogs seem to be written to the stay at home moms (who i KNOW work tremendously!)
    I also would love help in organization 🙂
    THanks again for all you do. My times with the Lord have been more consistent because of the inspiration from this blog!

• Avatar Jaime says:

My biggest struggle currently is organization… particularly in a small 2 bed. apartment with 2 children. I need to better organize physical things (on a super small budget), as well as routine and daily tasks.

• I know this feeling so well! We have an eighteen month old in our bedroom because the second bedroom in our apartment is too small for her to share with the thirteen year old. God give you Grace as you are in this challenging time!

• I struggle with motivation big time! That and perseverance in my daily walk. I tend to get bogged down in the lives around me (friends, family, other bloggers!) and miss what God has for ME! I don’t spend the quiet time with Him I should because I am so busy “doing.” Encouragement in that area would be wonderful.

• Avatar Kim says:

I struggle with all of these issues at one time or another. Right now I am focusing most on my attitude toward my husband and my children and consistency.

I really need accountability but have struggled with things like Twitter to whine about circumstances rather than focusing on the positives. So while I check in daily for #hellomornings, I never post!

Thank you for your heart for moms and this blog and I look forward to seeing what God has in store for you and the blog this year!

• Avatar reba says:

My biggest struggle is just abiding in God in every moment of life, you know? I feel like I have the concepts, I make the time for things, but still it is a choice in every moment how my heart will go. I’m hoping as I keep on practicing obeying Him that it will get easier, but I am often amazed at how forgetful I can be! I also feel like I need more guidance in my parenting.

I love the blog Kat. I love how you just tell it like it is! Thank you.

• Avatar Tiff says:

My biggest challenge… my big fat sinful, selfish self! That pretty much covers it all!

But to be more specific: self-discipline, or perhaps it’s more a matter of motivation? I’m often overwhelmed and then get paralyzed and do nothing at all to be productive in practical or spiritual matters. So maybe it’s not self-discipline or motivation but proper perspective. (Actually, sounds like maybe my biggest challenge is confusion and lack of focus!) 🙂

Another challenge: unhealthy comparison. Sometimes blogs are my worst enemy because they mostly show the nice, pretty side of other people’s lives and I end up feeling discouraged. Seldom on this site, however! 🙂

• I think my biggest challenge is keeping my eye on the prize in the moments of frustration.

Love this site!!

• Avatar tacy says:

Hi Kat! Thanks for all that you do, write, believe in. I need motivation to keep my booty moving. Aka… physical exercise, reading my Bible, having a clear head. Basically what I’m sayin’ is, keep doing what you’re doing and we’ll be glad. 🙂

• Avatar c says:

I’ve actually been thinking about what is my biggest challenge as a mother and wife a lot since the new year, and I think i’ve found one majpr thing to be at the root of many of my issues: self-control. Taking on too much? self-control fixes that. Loosing control and fits of rage? self-control again. Not making time for my bible study in the morning? self-control. You get the picture.

• Avatar June says:

My biggest struggle is getting things done. I’m a first-time mother of a 6 month old girl and the new wife of a wonderful man. I seem to completely lack motivation to get things done…it’s been a problem my entire life. As a kid I proudly proclaimed that I was lazy for some reason and I seem to have said it enough that it became truth. At least that’s how I feel. My mom insists that I’m doing all that I can because my daughter demands so much of my time… I feel like I believe her but I feel like it’s just an excuse and I could be doing so much more. My husband has graciously agreed that it’s best for our family for me to be a stay-at-home mom. So many mothers work and seem to get so much done. So, I suppose I’ve rambled enough. I don’t even expect you to have a solution for me…but you asked, so I answered. 🙂

• Avatar Bethany B. says:

I love this blog!!!! Thank you, Kat, for everything you do here!!

My biggest challenge is knowing how to intentionally & practically live out my mission statement with balance. I want my son (& any other future kiddos) to grow up to be a man of God & I want to bless my husband & I want my home to be a place of safety & sanctuary & I want to grow in my walk with my Savior, but so far I haven’t found a good balance for how to do those things (how’s that for a run-on sentence!). Maybe that’s too much, but I feel like it should be do-able…my implementation is just not all there.

Hopefully all that made sense! Thanks again for encouraging us to be the best moms we can be!!!

• Avatar NatalieW says:

I found your blog through Small Notebook just last week, and I have read through a lot of the archives. I am a FTM to a 7-week-old baby boy, so I’m adjusting to a new life of taking care of an infant. I was really encouraged by your ebook, Maximize Your Mornings, to get back into a regular quiet time with God. That has been my biggest struggle since having my son. I’ve been consistent since the start of this year, but I find that it’s very hard to concentrate (my son is an early riser) with a sweet little face staring at me. I just don’t want to miss anything! My other struggle is staying organized. I am very good at getting rid of things and simplifying only to find that a few months later things are chaotic and not in the places I’ve assigned them. How do I stay organized? I also need to get a good file system going, especially since I am now working from home as an independent contractor.
    Also, I want to teach my son about God all the time, every day. How do I go about doing that? What are some practical suggestions? How do I do that with an infant?
    Thank you so much for writing this blog! It has already been a great blessing and encouragement to me!

• Avatar Sandy says:

I am always grateful for a reminder to live in God’s strength, rather than my own. Thank you for your inspiration! I love this blog!

• Avatar Amy says:

I would say my biggest frustration is following through and balancing. I enjoy getting organized and having a plan… I just can’t seem to follow through with what I put in place. I am grateful for your prayer calendars and words of encouragement. I love getting my coffee and coming to your site. Wow! Thanks for pouring out!

• Avatar kelli says:

I’d say for me, it’s consistency! I know what kind of mom I desire to be, but sometimes I need help with the followthrough. Also, endurance. Hearing from other moms helps me to gain proper perspective and remember that this journey is a marathon, not a sprint. Thanks for all you do!

• Avatar CheyH says:

Mine would be being consistent. Especially after the holidays! Winter seems to be the time that my schedule is constantly off! I have two middle-school age girls that I homeschool, while working part time at an educational resource center for school teachers of all kinds. http://www.pacificlearningsolutions.com

• Avatar Pallavi says:

I struggle most with patience. I am a harsh critic of myself so I beat myself up about maintaining a clean and tidy home. I pride the time and attention required of my little one, 18 month old. My husband’s career keeps him out of the house many hours. I long for him to feel the same desire I do (he probably does but I don’t percieve it that way because of his actions…tried to talk to him about this) but often he wants to relax and watch tv or sleep when he is home (understandable so). So I loose my patience with him the most. Sometimes my child as well but more so my husband. I am greatful because he is a wonderful husband that helps out a lot, I think I just have unrealistic and/or unreasonable expectations?