My Favorite Morning Drink Recipe and Some Upcoming Events

By January 21, 2011General

Photo credit: antwerpenR

My Favorite “Coffee” Drink Recipe

Sometimes I’m grumpy. Shocking, I know.

Whoever heard of a grumpy mom?

Yeah, I’m all about keeping it real. My name is Kat and I get grumpy. So when I need a little pick me up, I drink coffee. Not just any coffee. A special, yummy concoction that transforms me from grumpy mommy to super fun mommy. It’s similar to Superman’s phonebooth, but a bit more portable and doesn’t involve spandex outfits.

Because that would just be scary.

Moving on.

First, let me warn any of you true coffee drinkers, you might be very offended at the recipe to follow as it doesn’t resemble coffee as much as it does mint M&M’s. Which doesn’t really seem like a problem to me since I don’t actually like “real” coffee.

Here you go:

Kat’s “Healthy” Peppermint Mocha
1 cup of hot coffee (we currently have Seattle’s Best Hazelnut cream, but they all taste the same to me)
4 tablespoons of Ovaltine (call me Grandma if you want to. It’s yummy and vitamin-y)
1 leftover mini candy cane
1 dollop of whipped cream

And, yes, I realize it isn’t actually “healthy” but it IS cheaper than Starbucks Peppermint Mocha, so it’s “healthy” for our budget. And, of course, the vitamins…

The Maximize Your Mornings Challenge – New and Improved!

Michelle and I will be starting up the Maximize Your Mornings challenge (also known as HelloMornings) again next Friday.

We’ll run it a little differently than we have in the past, though. More accountability, more community. More awesome.

Alarm clocks have never been so cool.

Stay tuned.

Are You Coming To Dallas?

Ideally, right here, I’d say how I have perfectly planned the meet up for the Sally Clarkson MomHeart Conference. Except I haven’t, so I can’t say that. But we’re definitely doing it, I just need to figure out the when and where.

If you are coming to the conference and haven’t let me know yet, contact me so I send email you the info on the meet up. As soon as I find my administrative skills.

And if you’re not already signed up for the Sally Clarkson MomHeart Conference, well, what are you waiting for? It’s going to be amazing.

Do Not Miss This

I may have mentioned 1 or 5,297 times that I just adore Ann Voskamp. Not because she’s an amazing writer. Not because everyone else thinks she’s cool. Not because she takes amazing pictures. Not because her name is Ann. Simply because her words drive me to Jesus.

Is there a better compliment for a blog or a book?

Her book, One Thousand Gifts, is now out and beginning 2/6 the lovely ladies over at Incourage.com will be hosting a book club featuring Ann, Angie Smith and Jessica Turner.

I’m almost giddy.

My Words Other Places

I’ve recently written a few guest posts for some of my favorite blogs on the planet. Check them out – I think you’ll enjoy them:

At SteadyMom.com – Celebrating Half Birthdays: A Simple Tradition

At MotherhoodYourWay.com – Why and How to Become A Morning Person

Discussion Time!

Ok. So I’d like to know. Are you a coffee person a tea person (that’s me!) or a something else person? What’s your favorite drink?

Comments

• I am a coffee in the morning person – and lately a coffee in the afternoon girl too! Looking forward to Maximize Your Mornings. I need the accountability!

• Avatar Lisa C says:

What flavor of Ovaltine do you use? I have chocolate malt on hand so I think I’ll try that, but I’m curious which one you used.

• Avatar Meagan says:

I am mostly a coffee person, but I like tea too. In the mornings I usually have half a pot of coffee (black) and in the evenings I have another half pot (decaf)! So yeah, I like coffee. Starbucks Peppermint Mochas are my splurge.

Looking forward to Maximize Your Mornings starting back up. I could use some encouragement and accountability!

I am soooo excited for the Mom Heart Conference…especially since my sister is flying all the way from Washington state to go with me! Woohoo! I look forward to meeting you and the Inspired to Action ladies!

And one last thing (boy, this comment is really long)…I too think Ann Voskamp is an amazing writer. Yesterday I received an email that her book was finally shipped and on its way. Can’t wait to read it!

Have a lovely weekend, Kat!

• I used to be a TEA- ONLY drinker. But recently, I’ve been enjoying a cup of french press coffee with various flavored creamers in the morning. (It’s VITAL to my “Maximized” morning!)
    I am so excited about the MM challenge you’re doing. I can’t wait to hear more about it. I NEED some motivation and accountability lately!

• Avatar heather b. says:

i’m just not a hot drink person. i actually make my special tea the night before, let it cool, then put it in the fridge to be drank (drunk?) the next morning! once in awhile i go thru the drive thru of dutch bros. or starbucks and get a hot drink . . . or an iced one ; ) i am also one of those people, who in the throes of addiction, used to drink ice cold diet coke first thing in the morning.

• Avatar Shelby says:

Historically speaking, I am first and foremost a Coffee person. I love tea, especially since pregnancy and breastfeeding made it my only option for many years but coffee is my main Squeeze. Recently, my family has taken to green smoothies in the mornings (or any time of day, really) and they are great! Here’s how we make them:

Green grapes
    Pineapple
    Banana
    Spinach
    Ice and a little water

Or

Green grapes
    Orange
    Pear
    Banana
    Kale (raw and lots of it!)
    Lots of ice and a little water

Enjoy!

• Avatar Meagan says:

Shelby, We like green smoothies, too! My favorite is peach/mango/banana/spinach. I usually use that as my base and go from there, adding what I have on hand. Kale is good too, but definitely has more of a “green” taste.

Yum!

• sounds wonderful! we’re an ovaltine family too – we’ve always got some on hand – will have to try your recipe soon!

~h

• Avatar Courtney says:

That sounds delicious! I’ll have to try it. I’m a coffee person in the morning, but a decaff tea person in the afternoon. Nothing better than a cup of hot tea once the boys are napping and I’m catching up on the computer – like now!

• Avatar oh amanda says:

You’re the best, Kat! Can’t wait for the “new” Hello Mornings! PS–when are we getting tshirts?

• Avatar Amy says:

COFFEE!! Just a little sugar and cream. I have a 5:05 wake-up call (because 5:00 is too early and my little guy gets up between 5:30 and 6 – although today it was 5:12!) There’s no way I’d be able to do it without coffee. Kat, thanks for your recent talk at the Northwest Bible MOPS. I have gotten up every day this week to get my quiet time and sometimes a work-out in. It has made a HUGE difference. I have a friend that keeps me accountable and she has enjoyed the rewards of her mornings as well. I just wrote my mission statement as well. Thanks for your encouragement. I’m on to Maximize My Mornings next!

• Avatar Anna says:

Oh my! How I love my morning coffee. We do it the cheap way right now, but someday I want to grind my own beans and use a French press.

I’m giving up caffeine for awhile though (shhh…) and have switched to decaf. I found a pretty good brand.

I’m also trying to force myself to like tea. I bought a cheap tea kettle and everything. But it’s really hard for me. haha.

So I am going to try your recipe. I don’t have any peppermint, but I am going to use decaf coffee and Swiss Miss. We’ll see how it tastes!

(My copy of One Thousand Gifts arrived as I was reading this post!)

• Avatar Krista says:

I’m a decaf coffee in the AM (still breastfeeding!) and a decaf tea in the PM– both are vital in this uber-cold PA weather : ) Your “Ovaltine in coffee” recipe reminded me of something I used to drink in high school. I would add a packet of Swiss Miss hot chocolate to a cup of coffee and have it in my “to-go” mug on the bus– ahh memories!

• Avatar Marissa says:

I used to be a strictly coffee drinker but recently converted to a strictly tea drinker. Who would have thought? My favorite tea is seasonal, Coffee Bean’s ‘Winter Dream’. I should have stocked up because I am almost out, so I’ll be searching for a new favorite soon. I’ll be counting down the days to Nov. 2011 🙂

• Avatar Kim says:

Tea. Tea. Tea. Thanks for reminding me that I need to find a new coffee pot for my mother-in-law’s upcoming visit!

Can’t wait for another round of maximize your mornings. While I have been up early every morning, it’s not early enough and not productive enough. I need a refresher!

• Avatar Lara says:

I just love this post. I can see you in your words. So wish we could share one of those yummy drinks together IN PERSON, grandma. {hugs}

• Avatar Christin says:

Hi Kat! First off, love coffee, and as a bit of a coffee “snob”, I think that recipe sounds delish! I mean, you’re not using instant coffee of powdered/flavored coffee, so you’re doing great! 😉

And how I wish a MomHeart Conference was coming to a neighborhood near me!!! I am still SO thankful I got to meet Sally in person at Relevant, that I really can’t complain!!

And Ann? Oh yes. You said girl. Her words drive me to Jesus. Couldn’t have said it better myself. A-mazing. I’ll be joining that book club. Read chapter 1 last night. Wow.

I want to get back on the Hello Mornings wagon. I need more accountability so this will be good. 🙂

• Avatar Renee says:

I’m a tea girl, in the English tradition. I’ve collected many beautiful tea things throughout the years. When my children were young i would do afternoon tea, but now that they’re teenagers, it’s impossible. Someday, I will go back to it again. So, if I’m having a good day, I might make a cup in the morning or if my husband is home (he travels a lot), he’ll make me a cup:) Otherwise, I’m just a water bottle kinda girl. I was drinking water way before it was cool and stylish 🙂

• Avatar Mindy says:

I’m a coffee with cream at 5am girl. Followed by a 7:30 coffee and usually a 10:00am coffee. That and lots of water are the only things I consistently drink, so it is my not-so-guilty pleasure. God created the coffee bean and saw that it was good!

• Avatar Jenny says:

I’m a coffee girl all the way. Although there was a time when I was drinking alot of tea.. not so much anymore. I still like a hot cup of tea every now and then before bed. My favorite drink: Starbucks Grande Cinnamon Dolce Latte ( not fat – on the days, well, when I feel fat) 🙂 Thanks for the coffee recipe!

Jenny

• Avatar Kristi says:

I’m a coffee girl…if I’m feeling fancy at starbucks its a grande iced coffee in a vente cup with extra nonfat milk, sugar free vanilla, and splenda. At home, donut shop coffee in my keurig does the trick!!
    I’m excited to join #hellomornings officially for the next go round. I also ordered Ann’s book…looking forward to it!!!

• Avatar Laura says:

I love your emails! Thank you. They lift me up. Anyway, I have one big cup of coffee every day. With the added cream, people have asked if it’s a milk shake! So good!

• I love coffee!! Ever since I worked at a coffee shop in highschool, I have pretty much been an addict! Although, right now I’m doing the Daniel Fast and had to go off of coffee pretty fast, and the caffeine headaches were killing me!! A peppermint stick is also great in hot chocolate!! I used to do that around the holidays!! And try the new mocha cappuccino swiss miss hot chocolate (phew!!)!! It is awesome!!
    Stephanie’s latest blog: The Daniel Fast: Fresh Vegetable Pasta

• I drink a big variety. I make a pot of coffee to wake up hubby (and myself). After that it’s decaf for me all day. Unless I’m having tea time with daughter or friend. English tea with milk and sugar, Chinese tea plain, chamomile or mint with honey. I have a milk problem so my milk of choice is currently almond milk. But I used to love love love milk (okay, still do) and am thankful I can still eat butter (but not in tea or coffee)! I also drink wine, a thimbleful at bedtime in the winter. Is that okay to mention? And at communion every Sunday. This being Sunday, I thought of that. Cheers!
    (Confession: we recently tracked our spending of 2010 and realized we’ve been supporting Starbucks way too much. Yeah, there’s a reason it’s a gold card. So we resolved to cut back, and so far so good! But they were my hubby’s “office” through the dissertation writing days, so I’ll always be grateful (to God) and support Starbucks. Just not THAT much!)