Do You Have a Dream for Your Children?

By January 17, 2011Get Inspired

Today is Martin Luther King Jr day. For those of you who live elsewhere, Martin Luther King Jr is well known for his part in the civil rights movement here in the U.S. And he is probably most remembered for his “I Have A Dream” speech. (RSS and email readers, click here to watch the video. It’s only 3 minutes long.)

Powerful, isn’t it?

Thanks for the history lesson, Kat. But, um, what does this have to do with motherhood?

My question for moms is this
– Do we have dreams for our children - wild, crazy, “only God could do this” dreams of who they will become and how they will live life?

I don’t want to just hope that my kids will go to church and maybe participate in See You at the Pole. I dream that their faithful and fervent prayers would ignite revival In their school.

I don’t want to just hope that they will stay away from drugs. I dream that they will dive into the lives of hurting classmates, help them break free from addiction, and introduce them to Life.

I don’t want to be content with prayers of thanks at the dinner table. I dream that my children’s hearts would break for the things that break the heart of God. That they would be passionate in prayer and as desperate for Him as they are for air.

I don’t want them to be like me. I dream that they will far surpass anything I could teach or show them – that I would be deeply challenged and inspired by the way they live their lives.

I have a dream.

Do you? If not, it’s a great day for dreaming!

Comments

• Avatar Jenny says:

This is such a great post, Kat. I confess that I have not dreamed big enough for my kids. This inspires me to do just that! Thanks so much!!

• Avatar Natalie says:

Amen, Kat. I’m dreaming big dreams and praying big prayers for mine, too!

• […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Art Nest. Art Nest said: RT @SIDAC: Such a wonderful post from Kat! //RT @inspired2action New post: "Do You Have a Dream for Your Children?" – http://ow.ly/3F5WB […]

• Avatar Colleen says:

So inspiring! I am guilty of having “low expectations” in my prayers for my children. This makes me think about what I truly want for them. Wonderful. Thanks!

• I love this!!! Thank you for sharing. Wow, makes me think I need to dream bigger. I want them to be “helpers”…People that see needs and meet them…and change the world one life at a time…

maybe that’s our family mission?

• I love this!
    For his heart to break for the things that break the heart of God is exactly my prayer. I daydream of my Jack going out into the world and being the hands and feet of Christ. In fact, I get VERY excited about this. I believe God has big plans for my little man.

Melissa,
      A mother’s prayer is a springboard for the miraculous in her children’s lives. I believe you’re right about God’s plans for your little man….

• Avatar Anna says:

It helps me on the hard days to look at my sweet little 11-month-old boy’s face and imagine what plans God might have for him… and think about my goal as his mother: to disciple him for Jesus. Thanks for reminding us of what’s truly important in motherhood. 🙂

Anna,
      Isn’t it so powerful to get that “big picture” vision for our children? It makes all the little day to day things seem so much more important when we realize the foundation we’re building for our kids.

• Avatar Jennie says:

LOVE this!!!! Thank you!!! I heard you at our MOPS meeting on Friday..you were wonderful!! 🙂

Great post! All children need someone to believe in them. =)

• Because she came into this world as an answer to Hannah’s prayer (I was actually challenged to pray this after 10 years of marriage) I wondered what her service to God would look like. When she was an infant she had a “cuddle ministry” and as a little one running after Jack at church calling out what I said when I chased her: “I’m gonna get you and then I’m gonna kiss you” a ministry of joy to the older folks. She’s an artist, and dreams of being a missionary. That seems like a really big God dream to me! But he has been providing all along the way (she struggles with dyslexia, common to artists) and I still wonder at what he is doing and is going to do in her life. I think I listen/dream a lot. We’re reading a wonderful book together called The Hawk and the Dove (adults, read ahead) which always makes our hearts tender.

• Avatar Sarah says:

Kat, *THANK YOU*
    You lit a fire that took over my heart tonight. Absolutely riveted to His Word and His purposes for my children.
    Wow!
    Proverbs 29:18 ESV says, “Where there is no prophetic vision the people cast off restraint, but blessed is he who keeps the law.”
    This has been painfully true in my own life — why keep doing what we’re doing when it feels so much like drudgery? Why be enthusiastic about house/homeschool/discipline/play/you name it when it’s just wash-rinse-repeat? But seeing the prophetic vision — the dream over each child… suddenly, each task is momentous if only as one more stone in one more step on the way up to bring Him glory.
    THANK YOU, Kat! You are continually iron sharpening iron; tonight you’re a needed word and a faithful messenger. Praying for you and your family!

Sarah,
      I’m SO glad it encouraged you! You’re right on about the power that seeing the big vision has on our day to day tasks. They no longer seem mundane, but more like building blocks of a great cathedral.

• Kat,

I love how you connected this holiday and the dreams we as mothers have for our kids. My favorite dream/prayer of late is from Ephesians: “that their roots would grow deep into the soil of His marvelous love,” and from Micah: “that they would do justice and love mercy and walk humbly with their God.”

Thanks for reminding me to keep praying and keep expecting God’s perfect wild miracles in their hearts.

• […] was reading late last night when I couldn’t sleep, and I was struck by the reality that so often in parenting I slip […]

Laura,
    Oh, I just love Micah 6:8. it’s kind of funny that you mention it, actually. I’d never really though much of it until 2 days ago and its been heavy on my heart ever since.

I read your post and I too am determined to really see my children today!

• Avatar Aly says:

oh, you have spoken my heart exactly. [i wrote about it here: http://mommiediariesblog.blogspot.com/2010/06/one-million-arrows.html ] and i love this in the context of Martin Luther King Jr. day… so beautiful.

the hardest part about dreaming these kinds of dreams is waiting for them to grow up, when we actually get to witness God working in their lives in ways we didn’t even think to dream about, and never could have imagined.

“i don’t want them to be like me”… i echo that loud and clear, sister. i want them to far surpass me, also. the best part is, God wants these things for our kids, too!

blessings, from a new reader 🙂