Maximize Your Mornings Challenge – Get Accountable and Encouraged!

By December 9, 2010Create A Morning Routine

This is what I wake up to every morning…

Do you need accountability for your morning time? Or maybe just some encouragement to know that you’re not the only person up before the sun?

For a few months now, a group of us connect each morning on Twitter using the hashtag #hellomornings. It was Michelle’s idea and what a blessing it has been! If you’re already on Twitter, we’d LOVE for you to join us!

Say #HelloMornings on Facebook!

But I know many of you aren’t on Twitter so I thought it might be helpful to carry the conversation over to Facebook too. Each morning I’ll post a little greeting with the tag #hellomornings. I’ve love it if you’d pop in, say hello, and perhaps share a little encouragement about what God taught you that morning.

Now, if you’re concerned about getting distracted, I recommend saving your check in until AFTER you’ve had your time with God. I say this from experience. 😉

The December Maximize Your Mornings Challenge

Last week I shared a challenge for us all to try to spend at least 5 minutes with God everyday for the month of December. On a scale of 1-10 how is it going so far?

Here’s the grid for the 1-10 scale:
1 – Sounds like a good idea…
5 – I’m hitting more mornings than I’m missing!
10 – I’ve read through the Bible 7 times since Tuesday.

If it’s been a struggle, what has been the biggest challenge? (Time, knowing what to read/pray, distraction, lack of inspiration, busyness etc.)

Comments

• Avatar Christin says:

My trouble has been actually getting up!

I cannot read the Bible early in the mornings. My eyes water and I begin to fall back asleep. So I spend time praying instead and read in the evening.

I really want to begin exercising…even starting out at 5 minutes.

Christin,
      I enjoy going walking or running in the morning. I certainly keeps me from getting sleepy! And sometimes I’ll listen to the Bible on my iPod while I walk.

• I recently wrote a blog about not giving up, sometimes I struggle with being strong in faith when I don’t know the outcome.

• Avatar Christy says:

I’m at about a 4.5, I think. My biggest struggle is the fact that my kids (ages 3 and 18 months) often wake up at 4:30 or 5:00 a.m….any suggestions anyone? I would love to get a headstart on my day with them…but this just seems impossible at this stage in life. I am SO.TIRED.

• Avatar Jenny says:

Christy, I’m a newbie to this website, but I really wanted to toss an idea into your pot before I continue reading and forget. Well, two ideas. One is that to everything there is a season. And getting up earlier than the kids may not fit in this season, so – as someone else mentioned – you may need to find another spot in your day that you commit to this. And your little ones seeing you do this – from their playpen or spot in front of a good Bible video – is invaluable in the long run. This is a season of hard work with not many visible immediate results, but what you do faithfully now will come to fruition down the road. The second idea is to institute a time before which the children are not allowed to leave their room in the morning. It will still be a little dicey with them this young, but if you want to continue with it later, start now, and it will be habit and they’ll never question it. When my eldest son was about 3 or 4, I copied the face of a clock, colored a wedge in between 5:00 and 7:00 red, and a wedge between 7:00 and 8:00 green. Then taught him that when the short (hour) hand was in the red, he was not to get up (you could say “don’t leave the room” and allow them to play in the room quietly). When the hour hand got into the green color, he was allowed out of the room. Later, he learned the digital clock and stayed in bed until it turned 7:00 or later. It has been life since then, and he never leaves his room until 7:00 (and often later as he’s learning to enjoy lazing about in bed! – except for using the potty – that’s allowed), plus he tells his younger brother on the lower bunk when he’s allowed to get up . At this point, you may just need to put them back to bed/back in the room to play until you come get them out. As some wise mom said once, “Start as you mean to go on.” It’s harder to institute these things AFTER other habits have gotten ingrained. So, know that this season too shall change, and if you work at establishing habits and routines in your children now when they don’t know anything else, you will not have to do the harder work of changing habits later. Blessings on your journey!!

• Avatar Kristy says:

I’m at a 6 at least! It really makes a difference. I missed my time this morning and felt so snappish with the kids. To Christy, I hear you! Mine are 4 and 18 months. What about doing 5 minutes with your Bible or devotional while they eat breakfast? If you like, you could even read your inspiring material out loud. Then the rest of the routine at naptime? Or just put on your inspiring music for breakfast. These are things I’ve done. 😉

• Avatar Courtney says:

Reading the Bible every morning has become an essential part of my day. I rarely miss it . . . but it isn’t easy! Often one of my boys (3 and 2) wakes up early and “interrupts” my quiet time. i try not to view it as a distraction, but do stop to put him back in bed if it is too early for him to be up. If it is borderline okay for him to be awake then I invite him to come sit with me while i finish. My boys are ACTIVE, loud – so it is surprising that this works, but it does. He calls where i sit “Mom’s Bible study chair” and he knows that if he wants to sit with me, he must be quiet. He often looks at a smaller Bible while I’m reading. it is harder for me to focus when a child is next to me, but I think it is important for my kids to see me reading my Bible, and it is important for me to get it done! So, I hope that helps, and thank you all for the morning motivation 🙂