On Inspiration and the Reasons Why I Blog

By November 17, 2010Get Inspired

Who inspires you? Really, really inspires you? In a radical and life altering way? If there isn’t anyone, I beg you to find someone or something.

It might be a song, a book, an author, a friend, a teacher, a story or a mentor that ignites something within you that you didn’t even know was there.

Blogging Inspiration

Ann Voskamp inspires me as a blogger.

I’ve never read words put together quite the way she puts them together. They read like music. Beautiful music. And you know how I love music.

I’ve never considered myself a writer.
I’ve kind of fallen into this blogging thing.

It’s very hard for me to write. Every post you see on this blog takes me FOREVER! My friend Jamie has a challenge for mom bloggers on her site. It’s called the 30 minute blog challenge. The idea is to write a post from start to finish in 30 minutes so that we have more time free for our kids.

Um? I MIGHT be able to come up with a title in 30 minutes. That’s about it.

But Ann makes me want to love writing.
She makes me want to practice, learn and refine what has become my craft.

More importantly she makes me want to find Jesus in it. In every part of it. To make each word I type, every sentence I form, every post I create, a gift to Him.

Why Do Something That Is So Hard?

You might be wondering, if I don’t like to write, why do I blog?

I want to share. I want to help. I want to encourage.

I want to connect. You. And Him. Because I know if I do that, you’ll be ok.

You’ll always be ok.

Passing Out Torches

There is a Brooke Fraser song I love. One particular line in it says, “Here I stand, passing out torches.”

That’s what I want to do. I want to pass out torches.

If you sometimes stumble and can’t find your way. If your fire feels cold, your light dim. I pray that my simple, strained words would ignite a blazing inferno that drives you to Him, fuels your family and sparks a relentless revolution in your heart and life.

Maybe? It’s not just Ann that inspires me. It’s you.

Because God has whispered in my heart that maybe you’ve forgotten you’re wonderful. Maybe you’ve forgotten you are undeniably and incomprehensibly loved.

Right where you are. In the cold, dark filth of your worst places. In all His dignity, purity and goodness, He wants to bellyflop right in, pick you up and gently hold you fiercely.

His perfectness stained with your pain. And His love washing you both clean.

You are precious. Just as you are.

You are lovely. In every way.

Don’t look down
. Don’t think, “No not me.” “Maybe someday.”

You. Right now. Perfect.

In His eyes.

And He’s not just content to let you rest in His love. He wants you, calls you, is desperate for you, to give all you have to make sure your children, His children, know how precious and priceless they are too.

Let go of your regrets. They are utterly worthless. Take this blazing torch and lead the way, my friends. Run with it.

Your children, they need someone to inspire them.

May it be, may it be.

What inspires you to do things that are hard?

Comments

• I’m having one of those days where everything is making me cry, and I’ve got a runny nose already — my cold seems to have migrated there — which is just making it worse. Thankfully I’m home alone right now, so nobody hears me honking and crying and blowing my nose over and over again.

I just wrote a post about a woman who inspired me last night. I barely knew her, but everything I do know about her inspires me. She just passed away this week and I regret that I never tried to find her and tell her how much she inspired me. I’ve been reading her blog this morning — hence the crying. Then I come here and your post set me off again. You inspire me.

You.

What you are doing here — the way you are touching the lives of so many women and mothers — and their children. It’s phenomenal. You are phenomenal. I’ve shared your blog with other moms I know and especially the quote “It’s not about the mother you are today; it’s about the mother you’re fighting to be.” And when I was struggling recently, one of my friends, who I didn’t even know reads your blog, quoted that back to me.

Thank you, Kat.

You are so kind, Kimberly.

Perhaps Mrs. Ragan is hearing in heaven now the stories of influence she never even knew she had. And smiling.

• I also blog largely because I want to share. I want to help. I want to encourage.
    Sometimes I wonder if I’m actually meeting that goal and if the time I spend on it is worthy given the audience – but I continue. ๐Ÿ™‚

Also, it provides me a space to process my thoughts and affords me an opportunity to be creative and share that zest. ๐Ÿ™‚

Honestly, when I began my blog I had NO idea that others like mine even existed. I began it as a way to process all that I was learning on my jourey to become more like the proverbs 31 woman as well as to share practical tips and helps as I came across them in books, or other articles. I have a zest for problem solving and it seemed that I was always refering my friends to the same things. A blog seemed a great way to present catalog all those ideas in one place.

So, I suppose my inspiration comes from life itself and more than that – the Authour (God) who’s writing my story. When I’m seeking Him first – inspiration flows so naturally. ๐Ÿ™‚

I agree, Ann is an amazing wordsmith.

• Avatar Natalie says:

What wonderful encouragement, Kat!

It reminds me of this:
    “Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus” Phil 3: 13-14

You. Your MINISTRY inspires me. Thank you!

Natalie,
      Every time I see a comment from you, it’s so fun that I can picture you in “3D” instead of just your little avatar. What a joy that we got to meet… You are a treasure.

• Avatar Stacey says:

Love the torches you are passing out! I’ve got mine, let’s go light up the world girl!

So glad you are here. Encouraging. Writing through it. Sharing your heart.
    It is just what I need to hear!

• […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Stacey29lincoln, Kat @Inspired2Action. Kat @Inspired2Action said: New Post: "On Inspiration and the Reasons Why I Blog" – http://ow.ly/3bdDK […]

• Tears come to my eyes, and I’m blinking them back. Don’t have time for a full cry now. Oh yes. So may it be.

A writer who has denied herself. Who finds writing quite easy and fun and deliciously part of who she is and how she loves God once she actually sits down to it, I let fear stop me, let a blurted “but you have no content” from someone (who isn’t, by the way, my Lord and Savior) stop me, and perhaps my own lack of diligence and vision stop me. But then my mother died (Nov. 2006) and I started writing to all my dear friends because one thing my mom did was live boldly and lovingly. And I wanted to walk in that way, and keep giving love to the dear ones now far flung that God had given me to walk the path with. The love inspires me.

But then others started asking to be included in my mass email and yahoo started grumbling that the list was too large to send out and so I switched it to my livejournal account (which I had just to connect with a few friends back in LA to discuss with while I was in CT). I really don’t know a thing about websites and graphics, even don’t know how to download the pictures I take but give the camera to my husband. Slow.

But there are times that the heart overflows. When it’s pain it goes into my little prayer journal that my pastor gave me, fits in my purse. When it’s gratitude it goes into my longer journal I bought with the goal of 1000 things. When it’s story or grace or something to share love it goes in livejournal. What’s hard is the timing of my day, the God-orienting of all aspects of my life, and so my morning prayer is “give me your love to show, be lord of my time and circumstances.” God’s love is the best inspiration; his sovereignty is the best stress-relief! I am so thankful he says he cares about the little things.

So now I write comments, thankful for the sisters who share and invite comments. I read blogs. My daughter (10) has asked for a children’s book. Someday maybe I’ll write a novel that’s been with me for 20 years…it might be better for the incubation period! Or not write it; it’s up to God.

And what lovely comma’s you write. I really like you you have different journals for difference experiences. What a great idea!

• Avatar Herbwifemama says:

Nobody writes like Ann. ๐Ÿ™‚ But He came through you today, loud and clear. He touched me through you, today. <3

• Avatar Sharon O says:

I am also very inspired by Ann. She is gifted and awesome and very unique in her style and she is an instrument of the Lord, that does not say others cannot be also and I do find your blog encouraging and challenging at times.
    Give yourself credit for doing well. God is blessing you.
    I personally blog for the purpose of leaving a legacy to my children and grand children and to be an encouragement to every one who reads it.

• Avatar Abbie says:

Kat! You passed me a torch. I’m using that mission statement material we talked about to teach a class starting in December for young moms. Hopefully I will continue your torch passing. I love that analogy.

• Avatar Becky says:

This is what you inspired me to write today. http://www.purposefulhomemaking.com/2010/11/from-heart.html

And you inspired me to think to have each of my children (ages 5, 3, 14 mths) sit (one at a time) on my lap as I whispered into their ear some of my favorite things about them. They loved this~
    Thanks for all you do!

• I am living in Thailand right now, and honestly, my house helper inspires me every day when she comes to our home to help me with the daily tasks of laundry, cleaning, children. She is such an incredibly hard worker who never complains. She cleans up my toddlers’ messes on the floor that she just mopped, and is willing to do whatever is needed. She works at our house for eight hours . . . .

and then she goes to another job for another 5 in the evenings.

And her attitude inspires me, but also the vast differences of our lives speak gratitude into me consistently. I get to play Battleship with my son in the middle of a Wednesday afternoon, and she is unmarried, scraping by, a refugee, working three jobs, and hanging up my laundry on that same Wednesday afternoon. And the vast difference of that, and the fact that I did nothing to deserve my position and she did nothing to deserve her lack of it (she is a Burmese citizen), continues to speak gratitude into my daily, stay-at-home life.

Her name is Annie, and she inspires me every Monday, Wed, and Friday that she spends in our home.

Thanks for the great post and excellent question! I look forward to reading more.

• Love your passion and your heart for our Lord. Love your messages–keep writing.

• Avatar Jennifer says:

This was a great post and you are a great woman! Thank you for the encouragement and dedication to reaching out to all of us!

jennifer

• Avatar Joanna says:

I am a stalker of yours. I have subscribed to your blog for prolly over a year. I don’t comment much..only when you have something i would just LOVE to have as a prize. I go through spurts of reading my subscriptions and longer spurts of not. Anyways I hope you don’t find me too sentimental but YOU inspire me. I have struggled with severe depression for 2 years now. I have also been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I have pain, depression and exhaustion every day of my life. I don’t write this so you feel sorry for me or anything (though I do take any prayers anyone sends my way!). But I write this to show you that it is HARD for me to do anything, any day. I have a 5 year old with pretty severe ADD and a 3 year old boy who is well…an energetic boy (not the ADD type like my older son). I have a husband who works very hard to bring us the income we need to support us and he doesn’t have much left at the end of the day when it comes to cleaning, laundry, or picking up – though he plays with the kids till he passes out! Because of my disease(s) everything has suffered – my relationships with my kids and my husband, my housework, my church volunteering, and my relationship with Christ as well. But when I get on my computer and there is something new from you I know that after I read it I will be getting up and doing something….anything. I am slowly climbing out of my hole, but it isn’t easy and I need more people like you surrounding me. Thank you for all you do for all of us.

• Avatar Lara says:

Wow. I needed to read this tonight, my friend…10 days after you posted it! You are an inspiration. I’ve got my torch. Little feet are following me. By His grace, I’m leading them to Him. (hugs)

• Avatar Sharon says:

Kat,

I never would have guessed that writing didn’t come easily for you. You always have such a fresh perspective and a way of driving your point home in a way that really makes sense to me. Thanks for pushing through the hard work of writing to bless us!