Hello Mornings! Round 2: Maximize Your Mornings Challenge: Week 1

The glow of new love

Note from Kat: Here is another wonderful post from my dear friend Michelle.

October Wrap-Up

If you joined the challenge last month and worked through all the steps, Congratulations! I’m giving you a big round of applause!

Have you noticed an improvement in your days? What benefits to yourself and your family have you noticed? What did you learn this month?

Confession Time

Can I be perfectly honest?

I’m kind of mad at mornings. They’ve become unwelcome, interrupting my dreams and pulling me out of my cozy bed. I resent them right now.

I’ve been going too bed late. I have “good” excuses for burning my candle at both ends. Days-end leaves me wishing for more hours and “enough sleep” seems like a luxury I don’t deserve.

I’ve reached the end of my willpower. Okay, I reached it a while ago. My self-discipline is flabby. I’m whooped. I need help.

If you can relate, be encouraged!

He gives strength to the weary
and increases the power of the weak.
Even youths grow tired and weary,
and young men stumble and fall;
but those who hope in the LORD
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.
-Isaiah 40:29-31

November is a new month!

Step 1: Get Out of Bed

The goal is simple. Everyday, when the alarm goes off, resist the urge to hit snooze and roll over. Let’s throw off those covers and say “Hello Morning!” together!

I’m going to emphasize an equally important step for most of you. GO TO BED!

Action Steps

1. Print the eBook.
2. Leave a comment letting us know you’re on board!
3. Read pages 1-6 & page 20 of the eBook.
4. Find an accountability partner.
5. Set your alarm.
6. Get out of Bed!

Online Support

Don’t forget to follow along on Twitter for encouragement using #hellomornings. If you’re new to Twitter, follow Kat @inspired2action and myself @michellebygrace, and we’ll make sure you know some people there!

You can also join in the discussions in the Inspired to Action blogfrog community!

Link-Up

Michelle shares her story as a wife & mom in Amish country at So, I married a Mennonite…. When she’s not tweeting her inner monologue, you can find her perfecting her cushion-fort building technique and choreographing living room performances.

Comments

• Avatar Misty says:

I am in… I came across your blog towards the end of the challenge, so I am EXCITED that you are beginning fresh again. Thanks so much!

• […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Corrine – Mama Gomer, Michelle, Joanna, LaDonna, Kat @Inspired2Action and others. Kat @Inspired2Action said: Want to join the Maximize Your Mornings Challenge (for the 1st time or the 50th)? Here's how – http://ow.ly/35jnx #hellomornings (Pls RT) […]

• Avatar Kim says:

I am trying again! I started a week late last month and lost steam with three straight weekends of guests. This has already transformed my life and attitude with my kids during the day. I am looking forward to developing the habits, improving my attitude and being a better wife and mom.

• Avatar Jen says:

Deep breath — I’m in! I read the eBook awhile back and tried to do it on my own, and although the mindset behind the challenge has revolutionized my thinking about mornings and my attitudes toward my children (especially their early morning wakefulness), I didn’t do so great sticking to the commitment to wake up before they do. Sooooo……here goes! 🙂

• Avatar michelle says:

Misty, Kim, Jen – hooray! So glad you’re joining us this month. 🙂

• Avatar amanda says:

I’m in. I have three boys so far and I really need to be up before them. I have a 5 year old who we homeschool a morning person 20 month old and a nursing 2 month old. I loved the ebook. I used to really like mornings… Now not so much. Looking forward to some support.

• “My self-discipline is flabby” – love that description!

I am having trouble being consistent. I do well for a while, then fall off the wagon. It is also hard for me to fit everything in. I’ll add one thing, but then let something else slide. So, I’m still in great need of practice and am very thankful for the support and camaraderie of the #hellomornings group!

Thanks Michele and Kat.

• Avatar Rachel Lenda says:

I so need this challenge right now. Just came across this today on another blog and found the link to you So excited that you are doing it again. This will be a great motivation to get my day started off right with God and be a blessing to my family.
    Thanks
    Rachel mom to three little girls my oldest is NOT a morning person and just started Kindergarten. I usually lay in bed telling her to go get dressed since I can’t drag my self out of bed for a few more minutes. Praying this improves our whole day.

• Avatar Nichole says:

Good bye cozy bed and sleeping in ….I am going to give this a try. As a home schooling mom of two “tweens” I am hoping this time in the morning will give me just what I need to set my compass for the rest of the day. I used to be an early riser when I was teaching in the public school, but seem to have fallen off the rise-n-shine wagon….so I am looking forward to the challenge!

• Avatar Kelly says:

I’m having trouble staying consistent, so I need to join again. Looking forward to it!

• Avatar Leslie says:

Okay here I go again….I do so-so for a while, then wham I give into the early morning, predawn coziness of my bed and hit the snooze!! So glad this is a new month!!

• Avatar michelle says:

So, SO glad you all are joining in this month! It’s much more fun with company. 🙂

• Avatar Krista says:

Ok, I’ll give it a go…just ran across you today. I have been wanting to start doing this and have been going to bed earlier with great results, but haven’t been waking up earlier. Now for that. Just 15 min. this week…sounds great!

• Avatar Lynsey says:

I’m in (sorry about being a day late)!! My mom was in town so our schedule yesterday was crazy. I did get out of bed when my alarm went off though. 🙂

• Avatar Amy says:

I am SO in! I’m glad you are doing this, because I just got with “the program” when you were finishing up last month…so I’m finally doing something WITH you instead of a week later!

I plan to blog about my progress…if just to keep myself accountable!

• Avatar Lori says:

I watched the last challenge, and even tried to participate a couple of times, but I didn’t commit. This time, I know it’s time to commit to this. I’m excited. Thank you for doing this again.

• Avatar Allison says:

I’m so glad that you are doing this again!! I found your blog in the middle of the last challenge, and wanted so badly to participate, but didn’t want to set myself up for failure by trying to catch up and start all at once. I used to be so great at mornings….now, not so much. I can tell a big difference in my days, and am so ready to conquer my mornings again!

• Avatar Emma Filbrun says:

Interestingly, just after I got your ebook, my husband got a job which starts at 5:00 in the morning, so I started getting up at 4:30 to pack his lunch. Because of your book, I decided to stay up rather than go back to bed. Amazingly, I feel better than I did when I was sleeping till 5:30 or 6:00, and the days are going smoother with the children!

• Avatar Corena Stacy says:

This is something I’ve been working on for years, and almost consistantly I would get up out of bed with only enough time to get dressed, get the kids up, dressed, fed & all of us out the door (I work outside the house while the kids are in school.) I don’t even get a shower most days. I’ve always wanted to have better mornings than that & have always been so frustrated. Well I’m making a new commitment with this plan. I promise to give it my all. Whenever I do manage to get up early my days are so much better. I want that all the time, not just on the rare occasions. An accountability partner is difficult for me – I am not good at talking to people. Instead I will be posting on facebook & twitter when I get up, cause then I can see for myself, others will see too. I’m starting with getting up early enough to shower, let alone bible study & excercise (which I really want for my mornings too!) I think it will really improve what I think of myself. Thank you for caring enough to share this with everyone! God bless you and your families.

• Avatar Meredith says:

I’m starting (over) this week! I actually started last week and was up early on Sunday and Monday, a little later on Tuesday, a little later than that on Wednesday…and so on. I’m far more of a night person than a morning person, but for the sake of my children I need to be up earlier, especially on weekdays, to get us all out of the door and to work and school.

• Avatar Casie says:

I’m in! I did this last winter for a few weeks and LOVED it. It is crazy how we can desire something so much and yet not at all at the same time. I SO want to get up early- yet I really don’t want to! I need a challenge again so I can get back on track.

• Avatar Juli says:

I’m in! I really need this challenge. I have 8 children, the youngest only 4 months old, and lately the kids have been waking me up with “Mommy, what’s for breakfast?”
    ; )

• Avatar Lydia says:

Finding your blog today is proof to me that God guides our lives. Just this morning I committed to getting up early after years of failed attempts and I just wasn’t so sure I was going to be able to do it tomorrow, and here you are with a challenge of perfect timing for me. Yay!

• I started ‘maximizing my mornings’ today. Would you believe that the first full song on the radio (my alarm clock) today was “Everlasting God” by Lincoln Brewster (‘strength will rise as we wait upon the Lord’)? And they read the verse you quoted above right after playing the song! Isn’t God cool?!

• Avatar michelle says:

I know I speak for Kat when I say we are so enormously blessed and grateful for each one of you who is joining in!

You are such an encouragement to me! 🙂

• Avatar shorty says:

I am starting a few weeks late but I am in!

• Avatar Elizabeth Hanna says:

Okay, here we go! I’m in! Looks like I’m starting “late” too, but there’s no time like the present, and I just heard about this…so here we go!

• Avatar Bobbi Schaben says:

Read the e-books 1 1/2 months ago. I loved my time alone, but all of a sudden my infant started waking up multiple times in the night. Then my toddler needed help going to the bathroom in the middle of the night (night after night). I ran out of steam. I am ready to start the challenge again.

• Avatar Courtney Rose says:

I am going to start next Monday!! I look forward to starting this challenge with all of you and maximizing my mornings. I can’t wait to see how I grow and how my relationships are affected.