Welcome to Mom-iversity!

By October 2, 2010General

Haskell Hall with Quad

A Buzz In The Air

Well, we just have all kinds of exciting things happening on the Inspired to Action campus this morning. Those awesome #hellomornings girls taking part in the Maximize Your Mornings Challenge are spread out all over campus, sitting on benches, lying on blankets in the quad and there are even a couple up in the big old Magnolia tree. I love seeing them reading their Bibles, praying and getting a wonderful start on their day.

And You…!!!

I am SO excited to see you here bright and early for your first class! Take a seat, pull out your books and notebooks and smile at your classmates.

If you have NO CLUE what I’m talking about, you might have found yourself in the wrong class. Or perhaps you didn’t read the syllabus. You can find out all about Mom-iversity here.

What? Yes, you in the maroon and white shirt….

No, lo siento, Spanish 101 is al lado… Aaaaaal laaaaado….. AAAAAL LAAAADO….!!!!

It’s next door. Sheesh. Study hard…

Anyone else in the wrong class? No? Great.

Let’s get started.

Meet and Greet

Today will be very simple. Let’s all just take a minute to introduce ourselves. Last week we chatted a bit in the forums a little about ourselves, so today I’d like each of you to share what you want to learn during Mom-iversity and what resource you’re using to learn it.

So please share:
(Feel free to copy and past these into the comments…)
1. Your name/nickname.
2. What you want to learn/improve during Mom-iversity.
3. What resource you’re reading/listening to etc.

Socialize

20whiteSchool1955

Twitter: I just had an idea! What if we start a Twitter hashtag – #momiversity ? We can share any tidbits we learn along the way. Oh…fun… I’m going to go do that right now….

Ok. I’m back. If you’re on Twitter, look for it – #momiversity

Forums: We’ll also be chatting it up in the forums. This is the place to share any questions, ask for book/resource recommendations and to discuss things you’re learning or just to find out everyone’s favorite ice cream flavor. (I’m proud to say that y’all seem to have VERY good taste in ice cream flavors…)

Comments: Of course, the comments are always a good place to chat too. I would love to see you all interacting and encouraging one another, giving advice and being each other’s cheerleaders. Go team!

Note: Here’s kind of how I see the socializing working. Please note, these are NOT rules, just an idea of how I see these different forms of media working together to help us all learn and interact.

Ouside the classroom chatter. Twitter is for random Momiversity related thoughts, ideas, suggestions, interaction.

Whispering in class. The forums are for encouraging and helping one another. Feel free to post questions and start topics there!

Things to share with the whole class. The comments are for more meaty things like introductions, nuggets of wisdom, related questions.

Homework

You’re homework today, if you’ve already printed and filled out your syllabus, is to say hi and share what you’re learning / hope to learn this month.

Here are the discussion questions again:
1. Your name/nickname.
2. What you want to learn/improve during Mom-iversity.
3. What resource you’re reading/listening to etc.

Alright, we’ll start with you, there on the right…please introduce yourself. 🙂

Comments

• Avatar Brie says:

Brie
    Hope to learn anything to spur me on as a mom
    Resource: the bible study Me, Myself and Lies by Jennifer Rothschild. A very meaty study on our self talk. I’m really learning to adjust my thoughts towered my girls and replace lies/frustrations with God’s truth like “they are a work in progress.”

• Avatar Lori says:

Hi! I’m Lori, and since I have a 5-month old daughter, my biggest concern right now is learning how to get her to SLEEP. I call her “insomni-baby” because despite my best efforts, she does NOT nap well during the day and wakes up several times during the night. She’s an energetic, happy child, but this no-sleep thing is really wearing me out!!!

I’m reading pertinent excerpts of “Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child” by Weissbluth, and “Your Baby and Child: Birth to 5 Years”, by Penelope Leach.

So far I’ve only read a couple pages of Leach’s book, but what I’ve gained so far is that I’m doing the right thing – trying to learn my baby’s habits and tendencies and work WITH those, rather than against them.

• Avatar Christin says:

1. Your name/nickname. – Christin
    2. What you want to learn/improve during Mom-iversity. – to be more attentive to my children
    3. What resource you’re reading/listening to etc. – “Keeping Your Child’s Heart” by the Maxwells
    4. If you’ve started learning, what is one little nugget of wisdom you’ve gleaned on your topic. – I am actually on chapter five and what I’m learning (or being reminded of) is how important having regular (daily) Bible reading is for our children/our family. We keep putting it off and it only shows our children that it lacks value to us. My husband and I talked last night about how this needs to change and now. There will never be an “ideal” time. We just need to do it and push other things aside.

Lori, I have read Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child several times and it seemed to work for my last two babies. I hope you figure it out soon! I dealt with severe sleep deprivation.

“We keep putting it off and it only shows our children that it lacks value to us.” Wow. that’s powerful. Thanks for sharing that!

• Avatar Amber says:

1. Your name/nickname: Amber
    2. What you want to learn/improve during Mom-iversity: I want to learn to be more understanding of my children and their differeing personalities to be able to teach/train/discipline them better and to just be be more loving and patient toward them (Not that I don’t love my children, but, well, you know what I mean).
    3. What resource you’re reading/listening to etc: I just checked out Parenting Wth Love and Logic from the library, and also signed up for the Positive Parenting course online. Can’t wait to start learning!

Amber,
      I TOTALLY know what you mean. And those two resources are my two favorites! They’ve made the biggest difference for me. Can’t wait to hear your weekly updates! I’m sure you’ll have good stuff!

• Avatar Carolyn says:

Hi my name is Carolyn
    I am trying to become the best mom/wife/friend/homemaker I can possibly be.
    I started reading “Becoming the Woman God Wants Me To Be” -A 90-day journey through the Proverbs 31 Woman, by Donna Partow. And thanks to Kat’s fabulous list of resources, I found P31 ministries and 2 fabulous blogs on the same subject. I am about half way through the study and am really gleaning a lot. Couldn’t begin to tell you everything.
    Key Word:: Becoming!!!

• Avatar Deedee says:

1. Your name/nickname. – Deedee
    2. What you want to learn/improve during Mom-iversity. – I have a 20-month-old daughter and an 8-week-old son, and I feel like I could be doing better with my daughter regarding discipline and tantrums. I feel like I get frustrated too easily (being up off an on all night with the little one doesn’t help), and I’m whatever I’m doing isn’t really making any progress.
    3. What resource you’re reading/listening to etc. – I just ordered the Early Childhood package from Love and Logic – it should be here Tuesday. I got the CD version, so I can listen in my car during my commute – which seems like the only time I have to do something like this! Between now and then, I’m looking at the tips on the Love and Logic website, and ScreamFree parenting.
    4. If you’ve started learning, what is one little nugget of wisdom you’ve gleaned on your topic. – Some of the Love and Logic tips for Tantrums look liek they might be worth trying – like ignoring the tantrum and walking into another room until your child calms down. Goal for today: try this at least once and see how it works.

Deedee,
      I’ve really enjoyed the Love and Logic book. Great idea on the CD for your commute!

• Avatar Jenna says:

Hi Deedee,

I am ‘enrolling’ in a similar course as you! My son is only 9 months old so I look forward to hearing about your experiences and nuggets of wisdom!

• Avatar ruth says:

Deedee and Jenna,
      I’m looking to do some study on discipline too. I’ll be looking forward to what you both have to say.
      Ruth

• Avatar Sayle says:

Hello, my name is Sayle. I have been struggling with what area I should focus my studies. After much prayer, I have decided that I need some guidance in putting some rhythm and routine into our day. This stay-at-home-mom job does not come naturally to me, but I am determined to succeed.
    Study Guides-
    Simple Mom – blog
    Seven Times the Sun- book
    Five in a Row – reading curriculum I would like to begin.

Hi Sayle!!
      So good to see you here! The stay at home mom thing didn’t come naturally for me either. You’ll get there and eventually have a wonderful routine!

• Avatar Natalie says:

Sayle,
      I just wanted to encourage you with Five in a Row. We have loved that curriculum here and it really requries little prep and structure. Just a cozy place to read together and a simple activity each day to reinforce one aspect of the book. Enjoy!

• Avatar Karen says:

Hi, I’m Karen. I’d like to learn how to be a great mom to my teenagers. I’m going to read “Bringing Up Girls” by James Dobson, as soon as I put it on my Kindle for PC. 🙂

• Avatar Krissa says:

1. Krissa
    2. I want to learn about how to raise kids of character.
    3. I will be reading boundaries with Kids by Cloud & Townsend
    4. I’ve already read the first couple chapters and have learned to raise kids with character, we have to be parents with character. Kids pick up on so many things we don’t even realize!

• Avatar Amy says:

My name is Amy.
    I want to work on organization (of my life, home, kids, work, etc.) and my tendencies to procrastination.
    I am going to use Maximize Your Mornings (and the Hello Mornings Challenge) and The Procrastinator’s Handbook by Rita Emmett. I may add more if/when I find it as I am already about 1/2 way through the Handbook, but have procrasinated (until now) finishing it. 🙂

• Avatar Jessica says:

Hi- I’m Jessica.

What don’t I need to work on?! 🙂 My 2 main focuses would be time wasting and getting irritated with my kids.
    My resource right now is (and this is not trying to be super-spiritual sounding) is the Bible. I am just meditating every morning on verses for 3 areas as reflected in Christ- Humility, Compassion, and Diligence. I have several books that I have found helpful and would like to re-read soon. But I haven’t gone through them and decided yet, so for now, The Book of Books in the morning.
    No nuggets to share. Hopefully, soon though! I haven’t been doing well in these areas, so maybe a little cyber- accountability will help!

• Avatar Sharon O says:

Good morning.
    My name is Sharon. I am a grandma so I am not necessarily in the same ‘camp’ as younger moms but I do struggle with organization issues and time management. I watch my nieces baby three days a week she is one. So I am grandma of six, and day care provider.
    I am learning to be still… and listen to the quiet of the day.
    God bless you all

• 1. Your name/nickname – Kristin
    2. What you want to learn/improve during Mom-iversity – I want to help my son (10 months) be a better napper – he’s a really great sleeper at night. And get prepared for the birth of our new baby in March with good sleep training skills.
    3. What resource you’re reading/listening to etc – Reading “Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child” by Marc Weissbluth
    4. If you’ve started learning, what is one little nugget of wisdom you’ve gleaned on your topic – Learned so far that a well-rested child who sleeps good during the day has a longer attention span and does better learning. Also that sleep deprivation as infants can have effects that won’t show up until school-age. Yikes!

Kristin,
      It’s amazing how far reaching the affects of rest are on our children…and us! I hope you learn just what you need to help him nap.

• Avatar Jenna says:

Hi Kristin,

My son is almost 10 months (DOB 12/14) and I’m struggling with naps, too! He takes them at the same time everyday (On Becoming Babywise really helped us establish a good routine!) but lately he won’t sleep much more than an hr at a time- not sure what’s going)! I look forward to reading about what you learn!

• Avatar Jaime says:

1. I’m Jaime. I don’t really have a nickname, besides Mommy.
    2. I want to be a more efficient homemaker so I have more time to hang out and enjoy my kids.
    3. I’m reading Finding Your Purpose as a Mom: How to Build Your Home on Holy Ground, and Secrets to Getting more done in less time by Donna Otto. I’m waiting on them to arrive from Amazon, so in the meantime, I re-reading Steady Days by Jamie Martin and working on our daily schedule.
    4. I’ve been reminded that we work best when we stick to a daily routine. I’ve printed out our weekly routine and hung it on the fridge. Now I just have to remind myself to follow it.

• Avatar LaDonna says:

1. LaDonna
    2. I’m learning more about sabbath and really resting in God.
    3. I’m using the Jonah Code youtube videos, various websites and blogs on the topic and specific verses I’ve found.
    4. So far I’ve learned about Jesus’ death and resurrection and that there are more sabbaths celebrated than just the weekly sabbaths.

• Avatar Jessica says:

My name is Jessica and I am hoping to be better at “practicing what I preach.” I am trying to teach my children to handle frustrations better, when I get frustrated, too. I am trying to be more patient with my husband who is imperfect, since I expect him to be patient with my imperfections. And, I would LOVE to be able to stick to a routine! I am turning to the bible a lot and am at the library all the time….and reading other wonderful blogs, like this one! I think the best wisdom comes from other moms and bloggers, and I love quotes….like:
    “What you get by achieving your goals is as important as what you become by achieving your goals.” -Henry David Thoreau

• Avatar Laura says:

Hi all — this sounds fun. I need a nickname…….but I’m too tired to be clever right now. I am climbing the steep slope of getting married and having two kids in four years. So. Lots of book-learnin’ going on here. I’m currently learning to PLAY with my kids (Playful Parenting by Cohen) and take mini-Sabbaths regularly (Sabbath by Muller). And I’m listening to more praise music since attending Women of Faith (amazing). Which is where I learned something fundamental — the definition of a strength is something that makes us feel STRONG. And conversely, a weakness is something that makes us feel weak. So focus on what makes you feel strong in life and you will be living up to your fullest potential = God’s will for your life!

• Avatar Jenna says:

Hello! 🙂

1. Your name/nickname: Jenna
    2. What you want to learn/improve during Mom-iversity: My son is almost 10 months old and I’d like to learn about discipline… learning how to focus on the heart and not just outward behavior. I think my son is too young to understand ‘heart issues’ and that I need to just correct behaviors, but I want to know what I’m doing ahead of time instead of waiting until he does understand. I spent much time and energy on sleep training, schedules, etc but feel very clueless when it comes to discipline/training! I can’t even tell if my son understands when I say “no” although they say he should at his age. I don’t want my expectations to be too high, but I don’t want them to be too low, either! Babies are smart!!
    3. What resource you’re reading/listening to etc. I have a copy of Shepherding a Child’s heart- but I think this may apply more when he is a little older, so I’m looking for something possibly online to read- any suggestions? I have looked a little into Terrific Toddlers and Growing Kids God’s Way but they are both books, I believe.
    4. If you’ve started learning, what is one little nugget of wisdom you’ve gleaned on your topic. I have learned from a blog I read about this that its important to treat whining, tantrums, etc the same as you would outright physical defiance…thereby teaching your little one that attitude (reflecting the heart) is just as important as actions.

• Avatar ruth says:

Jenna,
      I really appreciate your comment about not wanting to set your expectations either too low or too high. My daughter is 14 months, and I keep thinking that ‘when she starts talking’ I’ll have a better handle on what she’s thinking. I’m sure I’ll still struggle with how much to expect from her. Good luck with your studies!
      Ruth

• Avatar Jenna says:

Thanks, Ruth! 🙂

• Avatar Kristin says:

1. I’m Kristin, but you can call me K
    2. I want my parenting to have at it’s foundation my love for God.
    3. I’ve ordered The Mission of Motherhood and The Ministry of Motherhood. I’ll decide which to read this month after they arrive (hopefully on Monday!)
    4. I’ve been learning a lot already listening to various podcasts by Jill Briscoe (www.tellingthetruth.org). She’s delivered some wonderful talks on following Christ and depending upon the Holy Spirit. I find myself applying her teachings to parenting (every day) and wanting even more encouragement in that area. Oops, sorry, I’m supposed to be sharing a “nugget”; here it is: ask the Holy Spirit for help and remember that we are becoming what God intends–we’re not there yet–so don’t feel defeated by all of the mistakes.

~K

• Avatar Cindy says:

1.) Cindy
    2.) I’m learning about discipline tools and keeping myself calm while disciplining my kids. I have a 2.5 year old and a 6 month old. The toddler trials are definitely rocking my world but often not in a positive way!
    3.) I’m listening to 1-2-3 Magic: Effective Discipline for Children 2-12 by Thomas Phelan (it’s an audiobook) and reading How to Make Your Kids Mind Without Losing Yours by Kevin Leman. Will go through the free trial at Positive Parenting. Also keeping a running list of Bible passages that mention disciplining kids. Not sure if I’ll get to more resources than that.
    4.) 1-2-3 Magic points out that losing my temper gives my daughter power, which is often what she wants, and it’s critical to issue discipline w/o emotional outbursts (anger, yelling, etc.). So far, we’ve seen some success with 123 Magic; we’re still learning how to do it properly.

• Avatar Becca says:

1. Becca
    2. There are too many things to list that I’m working on but specifically for Momiveristy I want to work on clarifying my role as a homemaker & strengthening my role in my relationships
    3. I began reading “The Relationship Principles of Jesus” by Tom Holladay which is a 40 day look at the way Jesus interacted with people. It includes daily challenges and questions about the readers own relationships.
    4. Nugget of wisdom: “Place the highest value on relationships” – this is the first principle in the book. Jesus showed us through the great commandment that our priorities should surround relationship.

• Avatar ruth says:

Hi, I’m Ruth.
    I’m dividing my time at Mom-iversity into a couple of sections. My first assignment is to complete my mission statement, using the e-book. For the first week, I am gathering materials for that task and for my other studies.
    I have been thinking about prayer a lot this year and how it needs to become a daily discipline in my life, so for the second week, I want to do some more gathering of Scripture on prayer. I’m still looking for a good book to read. My assignment for that week will be to end with a summary of what I’ve learned and a plan for putting it into action.
    I want to finish by studying and learning about discipline. I have a beautiful 14-month old daughter and another on the way, and I’d like to have some good tools in my toolbox for helping them learn and grow. I got How to Talk so Your Kids Will Listen and Listen so Your Kids Will Talk from the library and couldn’t resist starting it today in the car. I’ve got a couple of other books on order through InterLibrary Loan, but the main one I’d like to start with is called Biblical Parenting by Crystal Lutton.
    Yes, I’m pretty sure I’ll have more to study than the month of October can support. I may have to ask for an extension.

• Avatar Jacqueline says:

1. Jackie
    2. I want to be a more intentional mum, to improve my interactions with my kids and to have a more peaceful household.
    3. I’m very excited to’ve signed up to the Positive Parenting Solutions course. My husband will be going through it with me.
    4. Nugget: Giving my children positive power so they don’t seek negative power (through bad behaviour).

• Avatar Sheila says:

Sheila
    I want to be able to practice the fine art of treasure(ing), or pondering all of the things that are stored in my heart (positive & negative) and start to piece more of them together. Through this, I believe that I can find more peace and contentment, with God’s help, in my role as a wife, mother, daughter and friend!
    Resources: My notes from a recently attended lecture by Beth Moore “The Lost Art of Treasure”, Luke 2 and other supporting scriptures, Building the Christian Family You Never Had by Mary E. DeMuth
    One thing I’ve learned so far…God has given me SO many treasures, even with an early life of abuse. Now that I’ve allowed myself to be closer to Him, I can raise my children in a home that glorifies Him!

• Avatar Susan says:

1. Susan or Cesca
    2. I want to see more patience and less angry outbursts in our home… this is from the top down!! 🙂 (As in, it starts with me and will, prayerfully, fan down to my children!)
    3. I am reading Good and Angry by Scott Turansky and Joanne Miller. I’ll also be settling in the book of James.
    4. I’ve not started the book, yet, but am aware that I’m praying not just for a behavior change, but a heart change. I’m excited about what God is going to do!!

• Avatar Christy says:

Hi, I’m Christy. I want to learn how to be more deliberate in teaching my kids (ages 2 & 4) our faith and love for God. I friend loaned me Shepherding a Child’s Heart; it looks like a good starting place for me. I haven’t started yet, but am looking forward to learning together with all of you!

• Avatar Jenna says:

Hi Christy,

I’m reading Shepherding a Child’s Heart, too… definitely looks like a good read. My son is only near 10 months old so I’m thinking it’ll be more applicable for you right now than it is for me, but I can even see discipline needs in my little boy. I look forward to hearing what you learn.

Jenna

• Avatar Ginny says:

My name is Ginny Wilson, from Chattanooga, TN.
    I’m hoping to learn how to be a better organized mom, but I really want to focus on how to be intentional with leading and teaching my kids spiritually. I’ve got a 3-year-old who memorizes like a sponge, why aren’t I teaching him Bible verses?
    I’m doing the morning challenge, so I picked up a Bible study about the book of Judges for my own learning. I’ve signed up for the Positive Parenting Solutions course (I’ve only done the intro, and I’ve already learned a few things!) for discipline issues, etc. And, I picked up a couple of kids Bible story books with CD/DVDs inside to facilitate starting some stuff with my kids.
    Nugget? I’m going to have to be intentional. The mornings challenge is going to be a tough one for me, so I HAVE to keep my focus on my goals. Hopefully the promise of an hour of alone time will do the trick!

• Avatar Jane says:

My name is Jane.

I’m finishing Good & Angry and I’m also going to be doing the Positive Parenting Solution course. Basically what I want is to have a plan of attack for handling my 6 year & twin 2 year old’s so I don’t resort to my default (yelling/complaining/etc).

I’m being convicted that I need to monitor what goes in my eyes (I’ve been wasting my time at night flipping through channels & just watching junk). So I’m going to be using this month to use my “free” time to become a better mom

• Avatar Erica says:

I’m Erica currently in Ohio, soon to be in Papua New Guinea.
    I’m reading Good and Angry. I’m looking for a way to relate to my kids with what’s in my heart, not with anger and frustration. I have twin 6.5 yr old boys, a 4 yr old daughter and a 2 yr old son. So far I’ve learned that anger can be used as a sign. Instead of using my anger to fight with my children, I can use it to help me see the real issues in our home. I’m really excited for the rest of the book!

• Avatar Anne says:

I hope it’s not too late to join in! I just discovered this, and I’d love to be a part of it.

My name is Anne. My goal is to be more purposeful in my mothering, and also to be more organized in my life in general. As the time draws closer for my second child to be born (in Jan), I’m getting a little scared about how I’m going to have “everything together” when juggling a toddler and an infant, so I want to be as prepared as possible before the big event.

I’ve decided I should read “Bringing up Boys” by James Dobson since I have one toddler boy and another boy on the way! I’m such a girly girl, I feel really clueless about raising boys – one was OK, but two? I feel very inadequate. The good thing is, I bought the book what seems like forever ago, when I was pregnant with my FIRST son, so I have it on hand (I won’t mention that I’ve never cracked the cover…).

• Avatar Emily Doss says:

A day late to class, but ready to learn. 🙂

1. Emily
    2. How to maintain a more peaceful, well run home with less chaos and clutter.
    3. maybe The Hidden Art of Homemaking, maybe The Most Important Place on Earth: What a Christian Home Looks Like and How to Build One, maybe Making a Family Home….I plan on heading to our local library tomorrow to see what they have available. I also own Simplify your life by Marcia Ramsland which will be good to review.

4. none yet.

• Avatar renee says:

Although it would seem that a mother of five almost-grown children would not need or want to enroll in Mom-Iversity, it is after decades of living through the crisis of the moment that it might be time to try another way. Having never been able to do this with any success, it is exciting to realize this journey can be taken at juncture of life. So, I am getting on the train, ready to learn. Relying on my classmates to make sure I do not spend my a single moment looking out the back window of the caboose with regret-filled eyes, but pushing me to sit with the engineer…looking at a brand new and beautiful landscape!

Current read: A Million Miles in a Thousand Years by Donald Miller

Renee Yarbrough

• Avatar Natalie says:

1. Natalie or Nat

2. I struggle with impatience and anger and at first I was thinking I would read a book about controlling anger. But I believe God is instead leading me to work on parenting with more grace. I believe He wants to focus on what I will become rather than on controlling my weaknesses.

3. I’m going to be reading Loving Our Kids on Purpose by Danny Silk. I ordered this books quite awhile back after reading a blog about how it was life changing for a family. I know nothing about this book, the author or their ministry so I am hoping it is edifying. If not, I have two more books on my nightstand for back ups 🙂

• Avatar Tammy says:

1. Tammy
    2. I want to be more calm and patient as a mother; and be more purposeful in my every day life… not running around in chaos all the time!
    3. Although I have MANY books that i could be reading, we recently moved and I haven’t found the time to get back to my reading… although, I AM currently reading a Proverb a day during my Bible study time each morning. I shall pick a book today to start!
    4. I’m learning, through prayer, advice from Christian friends and through joining in on the webinar last week (Positive Parenting Solutions one) that I need to focus more on really showing God’s love to my children AT ALL TIMES… not getting frustrated with them and raising my voice! I have set a very bad example for them, and I want to change that NOW before it’s too late!

1. Joyce
    2. I want to learn about setting appropriate expectations for my kids, being more patient, modeling and instill Christian character.
    3. I found a few good blog posts from MODsquad blog about character. And since I was one class away from my Child Dev AA degree before my older daughter was born, I should look back at my notes about what’s developmentally appropriate for my girls’ ages.
    4. Children will mimic our actions. If we don’t want them doing a certain thing, we shouldn’t do it either.

• Avatar Stacey says:

1. Stacey
    2. Wisdom in disciplining
    3. Shepherding a Child’s Heart
    4. I tend to just want to fix/correct the outward behavior, but I am learning to look deeper into the issues of the heart.

• Avatar Dixie says:

1. Dixie
    2. Working on my “mother heart” (Out of my heart my mouth speaketh)
    and discipline/teaching my children.
    3. The Mission of Motherhood by Sally Clarkson and Don’t make me
    count to three.

• 1. Your name/nickname: Janet!
    2. What you want to learn/improve during Mom-iversity: I’m a mom of teens, so I have my day to myself. I need to get finished with my morning routine before 10 so that I can have a productive morning and a more relaxing afternoon when I’m naturally less on-the-ball

3. What resource you’re reading/listening to etc: My morning spiritual reading is Divine Intimacy by Fr. Gabriel of St. Mary Magdalen. I also read two newspapers and catch up on twitter, FB, email, and my feed reader, plus try to get a blog post done.

4. If you’ve started learning, what is one little nugget of wisdom you’ve gleaned on your topic: I need to get to bed earlier and get up earlier! Seems obvious, but I need to start putting this in practice.

• Avatar Danielle C. says:

1. No nickname…..just Danielle!
    2. I want to learn how to raise girls to be thinkers…..who are compelled by their love for God to change the world around them. I want to learn about how to foster an understanding of who they are as daughters of a King who is totally in love with them! I want to learn about teaching them to make decisions with a christian worldview…even when their friends around them are not!!!! That’s a lot….I know….I just want to know some specifics in raising girls!!!!
    3. I am reading Bringing Up Girls and follow the blog MOD squad. I am also thinking about starting a Balcony girls group this spring with my girls (I got the idea and book from the Reluctant Entertainer!)
    4. Starting tomorrow…so no nuggets yet!!!

• Avatar Renee says:

Renee
    Just want to be a better mom
    Just signed up for Positive Parenting Solutions course
    Haven’t started the course yet. Hoping to get into it today, but I did get a bunch of things done this morning, and that’s a very good start!

• Avatar Dara says:

1. My name is Dara.
    2. I want to better understand my role as mom and be able to teach it other women+learn how to discipline my kids in Godly way and how to raise them for God’s glory
    3. The Mission of Motherhood + Love and Logic for early Childhood
    4. My calling as a mother is the same as any other Christian’s: to fulfill God’s will for our lives and to glorify Him. And within I have specific calling as mom and wife.

• Avatar Lin E says:

Just found your site this morning and love it. Moms taking inspired action is a cool ‘club’ to join, I must say.
    Regards,
    Lin

• Wow, there are so many great resources in the comments! Lots of great things to check out.

I’m Stacy. One of my children seems to have an extremely difficult time just dealing with life in general. I have a shelf full of parenting books but am still looking for ways to help her. I want to at least try a few new tricks throughout Momiversity.

I’m going to be reading Love and Logic. A resource I have heard a lot about but resisted reading for some reason. I am also going to be looking over some notes I took when listening to a talk from Diane Craft. It has a full 3-month supplement program that I would like to implement with my daughter.

One little nugget I have picked up recently is that children really do NEED attention. Not just being with them while we are doing other things, but real focused attention. I am aiming to set aside a chunk of time each day to completely focus on them individually. We started doing that this week and they love it!

• Avatar abby J says:

Well, I always WAS the girl who was late to class. 🙂

1. My name is Abby J.
    2. I want to figure out how to implement a system of order in our home, be it schedules, more organization – basically a plan for living life both more smoothly and intentionally. Living with discipline.
    3. Making Ideas Happen by Scott Belsky, Prov. 31, and various blogs.
    4. All I’ve learned so far is that I DESPERATELY need this!

• Avatar Rochelle says:

I am so sorry I am on the LATE train.
    1. My name is Rochelle
    2. The main thing I want to grasp is balance. I am a wife, mother of 3 (13 yr old son, 8 yr old son, and 6 yr old daughter), with life’s curve ball of the economy I have managed to go from a busy hairstylist to a “I’m luck if I work this week hairstylist”. Sometimes I work 1 day a week. So I claim to be a stay at home mom, which I LOVE! I am trying to find myself again at 37. I just need God to clearly show me how to balance all the things I love (aside from managing my home) like being creative or starting a new business ( Stella & Dot) without neglecting the things that are priority.
    3. Really I am only studying my bible on a bible plan (so currently I am on the book of 1 Samuel)
    4. I have learned just by discovering Inspired to Action alone, that things like this keeps me grounded and I realize how much I NEED the Lord’s guidance and direction to function properly. Otherwise I can get side tracked and overhelmed

• Avatar Emily says:

1. Emily

2. I want to be a fun mom. I want to choose to put magic and wonder and beauty in our days. I want this Jesus that I am introducing my children to, claiming to love more than life, to be full, and whole and real. I don’t want to serve my kids a cliff’s notes version of this abundant life that we are offered.

3. I am about halfway through Parenting with Love & Logic. I am getting a ton out of it, and maybe like it as much as my previous favorite, Graced
    Based parenting.

4. I love this idea of natural consequences. I truly believe that children (and adults) learn far quicker from their choices than all the scoldings, no’s, and nagging combined.