My Relevant Conference Photo Recap

By October 26, 2010General

This past week I went to Harrisburg, Pennsylvania for a blog conference called Relevant. It was amazing. I’m pretty sure I’m ruined for any other blog conference.

I got to meet, face to face, some of my dearest online friends. And guess what? My online friends became my real life friends!!!

I was ridiculously excited to meet and hug the ever wonderful Michelle. Oh, my. I am even more honored now that she is a part of this blog and shares her words, wisdom and heart with us. And this post she wrote, is one of the best things I’ve read in a long time.

Here is a pic of Sara from Happy Brown House, me and Lindsay from Passionate Homemaking Lindsay was my roomie for two nights and as hard as I tried, she just didn’t fit in my suitcase when it came time to leave. We had deep conversations and plenty of goofy ones too. Many of you read her blog and I want you to know she is a perfectly adorable, gracious, wise woman of God.

Stacy from 29 Lincoln Avenue was there too and I just loved chatting with her. She is passionate and kind and can’t wait until Relevant 2011 so we can chat again!

Hoping for Osmosis

I’m still hoping that some of Melissa’s incredible design skills have transferred to me via osmosis. A girl can hope, right?

The Ugly Cry

And what an honor to meet Sally Clarkson. She deeply inspired me as a mother and as someone who wants to encourage other mothers. I have a bunch of her books I’ll be giving away soon. If you can’t wait, buy them here.

While chatting with her I told her a bit of my story, thanked her for her heart to mentor young mothers and I managed to not get teary during all of that. Until she hugged me and told me my mom would be proud.

Shoot!!! Where’s the Kleenex?!

The other beautiful blonde in the photo is Serena Woods. She is a fireball. Her wisdom, insight and perspective are profound. I just bought her book and can’t wait to read it.

Breaking My Own Rules

I’ve never been one to ask for autographs or pictures, but when presented with a chance to chat with Ann Voskamp and snap a photo, I couldn’t pass up an opportunity to at least say “thank you for your words.”

If you haven’t seen Ann’s blog, you need to stop right now and read it. It’s one of those rare places online that leaves you wanting more of Jesus and less of the noise that fills our lives. It is by far, my favorite blog.

To my complete shock, Ann looked at me, saw my blog name and said, “You’re Kat!” Then she proceeded to, in a very Ann-way, affirm my heart and words for this little corner of the blogosphere. She was an incredible blessing and encouragement to me.

Ann has a new book coming out in January and Relevant attendees were give a preview PDF copy. It was literally such a treasure to read that I was almost jealous of myself. Now I can’t wait until the paper book comes. I have a lot of highlighting to do…

There are many more memories and photos I’d love to share with you, but I see your eyes are beginning to glaze over, so I think this recap session is coming to a close.

Thank you for indulging me the opportunity to share these wonderful memories and friends.

It was an amazing experience that left me feeling remarkably envisioned for this community, for you. Thank you for taking the time to be a part of this precious place.

Comments

• Avatar Lisa says:

Wow! What an amazing time you must have had! How wonderful to meet and chat with those women face to face!

I’ve been hearing great things about the conference! Sounds like an amazing blessed time.

• Avatar Mikki says:

Sounds and looks like you had a wonderful time..
    I soo wanted to make this conference but it just wasn’t possible. It’s wonderful to read how so many ladies were blessed by it!

• Avatar stacey says:

Meeting you was such a highlight Kat! Love your heart, your passion, and your constant source of encouragement! What a gift this weekend was!

• Avatar oh amanda says:

*trying not to be jealous*

One day we will be IRL friends, too! Can’t wait to see our picture online! 🙂

I tried to only cry once per day about your absence… 😉

I did think of you quite often – every time Jesus Freak came up on my Relevant playlist.

Next year you MUST go to Relevant. Mmmmk…?

• Oh, what wonderful photo goodness! I can only imagine it was INCREDIBLE. Such beautiful faces that exude such beautiful spirits. ♥

• Avatar Cherie says:

Kat it was wonderful too spend just a few moments visiting with you. I totally agree that I now need to start making appointments for 2011! Just not enough time to visit with all I wanted to!

It was so wonderful to chat with you too, Cherie!!

You know, I thought that for next year, I need to print out a list of all the people I would like to visit with. Kinda Type A obnoxious, but at least I wouldn’t leave without saying hi to everyone!

• Kat, that looks wonderful! I’ll try not be jealous 🙂 Really!

Glad you were able to go.

• Avatar Christie says:

Sounds like such a blessed weekend! I have been buzzing about Relevant to my husband since I found out about it, and prayerfully, saving my nickels and dimes, would love to attend next year and glean wisdom from bloggers such as yourself and Lindsay!!

• Avatar Kristin says:

“…I was almost jealous of myself.” LOL!!! Well put. I’m glad that you got to meet such encouraging, inspring women! ~K

• Looks and sounds just amazing – please let me know when you hear of dates for next year – I’m SO there and I hope you will be again too! 😉

Cheers!
    ~h

• Avatar Dawn says:

Love it!! Yes! I keep saying that on everyone’s recap posts– yes!! I have been reading and praying and reading (Ann’s book of course) and I’m just in awe of the blessing that she gave us, and that the conference gave us. It was so good to meet you and talk with you Kat! 🙂

• How fun! Glad you got to go and meet so many great people!

Thanks for sharing. I’m loving peeking in on and soaking up what everyone has brought back from Relevant!

• Avatar Herbwifemama says:

All those amazing people in one place??? I MUST go to Relevant next year! I’ll start saving right now!

I’m also totally jealous! 🙂

• Avatar Leigh says:

Kat – what a good recap! I had wanted to go to Relevant so much (even though I’m not blogging anymore), and I confess to sitting at home feeling sorry for myself parts of the weekend. But it sounds like God really moved there, and I’m being blessed reading the recaps!

• Avatar Kristiana says:

You look so beautiful and happy! So fun!

• Avatar Sistergirl says:

Great recap, that’s for sharing especially to those of us who couldn’t attend.

• Avatar michelle says:

Kat!! I’m SO glad we became real-life friends! I was equally as excited to meet you! You’re too sweet to me, btw. 🙂 I agree – there was so much fantasticness at Relevant, it’s hard to sum up. I love the moment you shared with Sally Clarkson. She’s absolutely right, and how perfectly ‘Sally’ of her to say that. Oh, and I acted a little strange around Ann, too. (I may or may not have blown her an air kiss.) I’m still amazed how thrilled she was to meet us all – to meet me?! She is so gracious. I’m loving her book. Thanks for letting me reminisce a little with you. 🙂 *air hug*

• Avatar daniella says:

One day, I’ll be taking a picture with you at one of these conferences and Ill write a post about it, just like this. You are my little Ann Voskamp (along with Angie Smith and Big Mama).

Glad to hear you had a blast!

• Avatar Diana says:

I am so glad you had a wonderful time! BY the way… your hair is way cute!

• […] week was an (unexpected) bye week! I didn’t realize how all-consuming prepping for the conference would be or how little time I’d have for actual blogging! But I think you’re getting the better […]

• It was so great to meet you Kat! The ugly cry sums up the whole weekend for me!