How To NOT Be A Grumpy Mom

Again with the hat. (Actually, I recorded this video the same day as the “My Story” video, but I do wear that hat a lot.)

Today, I want encourage those of you working on creating a morning routine, so I thought I’d share how I went from a grumpy morning mom to an encouraging morning mom.

Download the free Maximize Your Mornings ebook here. or learn more about the MYM Challenge here.)

And just so you know, it took me a long time to really develop the habit of getting up early. If you’re struggling with it, here are two keys:

1. Take it SLOW. Just get up 5 minutes earlier and pray. Once that’s a habit, add 5 more minutes and read the Bible. Add on from there. They say it takes 21 days to create a habit, so don’t feel rushed.

2. The morning DOES NOT have to be your MAIN Bible reading, prayer, exercise or planning time. You can just do 5 minutes of one or 5 minutes of each and have your main times at night or at another time during the day. The morning, though, is a key time to focus our hearts and lives on these important building blocks.

You are amazing. God is amazing-er. Give Him 5 loaves, fish, or minutes in the morning and He can do miracles with it.

(This post is part of WFMW.)

Comments

• Thank you for this! Particularly your words about how when we meet our kids by being encouraging and loving, they can be encouraging and loving to one another. My kids are so grumpy with each other in the mornings, mornings are no fun at all at home. I just want to crawl back into bed and wait for the day to be over. So many days, I feel just like you said, like I’m running-running-running but getting nowhere. I think I will put it on my morning video playlist. Thank you also for your two keys today. I may re-think my morning wakeup routine, I think I’ve been trying to do too much in the mornings. Thank you so much for your blog and your encouragement and your videos!

• elizabeth c. says:

thank you, this was indeed inspiring…

• Nadine says:

Thanks for that! That was very encouraging! I decided to start getting up early about 4 months ago and it has changed my life. I feel so good to be spending time with Jesus and being filled with Him before I start my day. Just found your blog a few days ago, it’s great-thank you x

• Christin says:

This is exactly why I get up early. Exactly. I would be grumpy being woken up by children coming into my room saying, “Mommy, I’m huuuunnnngrry”. Definitely not the way I wanted to wake up. Like you, I’d have to get up and immediately set to work and I was GRUMPY. I was bothered and just not ready for them. These past days when God has given me the strength and grace to get up, have been SO much better. When they wake up, I am ready for them. I am awake because I’ve gotten past that initial grogginess and got some coffee in me (whereas usually I’m running around and end up with cold coffee. Bleck!)

It’s so funny…since I started blogging again, I’ve had a real hard time trying to find things to write about ( I feel SO unqualified), but I am totally reading from several women (you, Sarah Mae) exactly what my heart is dealing with currently. (I’ve been digging articles out of my archives).

I’m kind of waiting on God and seeing what He would have me do, but in the meantime, I am being so blessed by reading other’s encouragement. Thank you so much.

• I found your website today and think it is so wonderful.
    Very honest and inspiring. I posted about it on my blog today
    in order to share your ministry with others.

• Thanks for sharing your story, Kat!
    Your words and encouragment are such a gift.

• Kayla says:

I can’t tell you how timely this is! I had tears in my eyes as I listened to your words. I am that mother who wakes up bothered and grumpy by her child. It is certainly not a good way to start out the day. I have been trying to wake up early since reading about the challenge last week and it was going so well last week but after the weekend has completely fizzled to where I have struggled getting to bed early, therefore struggled to get up early but my excitement has been renewed after listening to your vlog. Thank you so much for your words of encouragement!

• suada says:

Interesting. Since we Muslims have the obligatory morning prayer, it gets easier to acquire this habit. God already showed how. 🙂

• I need to work on sharing my prayers with my children. I love how you share about how you do that with them. That is such a blessing! Thanks for that great idea!

• Joyce says:

I really needed that because my little one is not feeling well, so that means being up all night and being so tired in the morning. I would definitely not want the grumpy mom, esp if I’m sick. =p Even as adults, it makes a huge difference when someone greets us in the morning with a smile.

• jennifer tuminaro says:

thank you for your words–i am very encouraged by them. i have been praying for quite some time that i would find a resource to help me in my daily walk with the Lord and my children. i am trying to access your ebook, maximize your mornings, and don’t understand your instructions to copy & paste the code, because it’s not a url address. when i paste the code into the address bar, i get an error message. pardon my ignorance but where do i paste the code? thanks.

• LeeAnn says:

As a young mom with a 16 month old, I often feel completely unprepared in this journey called parenthood. Especially trying to do it in a godly way. Thanks so much for your honesty and transparency. It is refreshing to know I’m not the only one who struggles and excited to see the difference it’s made in your life. Especially since I am NOT a morning person. I woke up early on purpose this morning and it really made all the difference in the world with how I related with my husband and daughter. And I even made it work on time :). Thanks again!

• FishMama says:

Love hearing your story. I hear ya, girl. Thanks for sharing!

• How wonderful! My daughter has been my alarm clock for 6 years and it really stink to be awaken from a nice deep sleep. I have thought of doing this before, but just hearing you talk about it, I’m for sure going to try it. Of course, I’ll need to go to bed earlier too!

• Niki says:

Great post. So inspiring! I try to do this every morning, but it is something Ihave always kept for myself. This morning as I noticed my son’s anxiety about something happening in school today I took a couple minutes to hold his hand and we prayed about it together. I cannot tell you what a difference it made for both of us!

I enjoy your blog a whole lot!

I hope you’ll stop over and visit sometime over at Free 2 Be Frugal.

• LaVonne says:

I do need this. I am not a morning person. It is 11:21 pm here and I know I should go to bed, get up early to pray, do devotions, and exercise. So, thank you. You are right. I just need to do it and create a new habit. It is important for me but also for my daughter to see me doing this.

Blessings!

• Kelly says:

Wow! I just came across your blog tonight from WFMW and I am totally inspired by your post! It sounds like we have a lot in common and share a common vision.
    Hope you will check out my WFMW post http://www.ministrymoms.com/works-for-me-wednesday-tithing/
    God bless you!

• Katie Orr says:

Great post Kat. Loved the video (hat and all!).

Thanks for more encouragement to continue making the sacrifice in getting up before our kids!

• Meredith says:

Hearing you say that you were “bothered” by your kids waking you up gave me this feeling of relief, like I’m NOT totally selfish for thinking the same thing! I WANT to be ready for them when the day starts and getting up before them is the way to go. Thank you. I am very curious…on staying organized, do you use a paper calendar/agenda system or a digital/phone/computer calendar system? I feel that when I am organized, I am the most productive. I am a working mom so I need to keep my work and personal life organized! Thank you!

• Liberty says:

This is such a great tip – becasue it works! I started 10 years ago and now will gladly go without (ok not gladly, but semi-willingly) sleep to pray/exercise. started with 5 minutes, now up to an hour and a half…
    *BLessings*

• Thank you for sharing this. I have been discouraged by the last few mornings (its hard when everyone is sick) and you have really encouraged me! Thank you!

• Your video definitely touched me. I’m another mum who has recently started getting up early in the morning and having time to myself to blog, exercise, pray and have found that despite getting less sleep, I feel so much better for the start of my kids day.

• April says:

Thank you for taking the time to record that video. Your words met me right where I am today – feeling discouraged, “grumpy,” and out of control. God led me to your blog because I really needed to hear this. I am not naturally a morning person and have tried many times before to get up early, but I will try again, this time prayerfully relying on HIS strength. Thanks for your blog and the encouragement.

• Katie says:

I have been reading here for a while, and I love the freshness that you bring to being a Mom. Thanks for the time you spend away from your family to impact mine. It has made a difference in my life.

• Vanessa Abraham says:

Love your advice. Mornings at my house can be very crazy and I am a drill sergeant too sometimes. I wake up at 4:15 or 4:30 to be running by 5:00 and that alone has put be in a better mood in the mornings but I need to make time to pray also. I tend to pray at night with the kids but morning prayer and bible reading can make a difference on how your day goes. Thanks so much for your video.

• SJ says:

I watched this the other night for the first time and I have to confess that it was an incredible 6 minutes of conviction for me. I appreciate you being honest because I struggle with all the same feelings. I’ve never been a morning person and with two little ones who don’t always sleep the whole night through, it can be so hard to greet them with a smile when they practically break down the door in the early hours of the morning. But lately I’ve been hearing God whispering that this is a problem. That these kids not only want but need to have a happy mom to start their day off right. Thank you for being such an encouragement as I am working hard to get up earlier than usual and have some time before my kids rise to pray and prepare myself to begin their day with love and joy!