How To Find “The Moment”

By October 12, 2010Get Inspired

Adults and children rarely live in the same space. They may occupy the same home, room or car. But they live in vastly different spaces.

Children live in the moment. They find intense joy and deep pain in every little thing. A pretty flower. A firetruck. An icecream cone. Bubbles.

With each passing year, adults seem to lose the gift of living in the moment. We live in the future or the past. In worry or regret.

And the more we live outside of The Moment, the less we connect with our children. We hurry them. We ignore them. We put them off.

Today I’m going to hold my children’s hands and choose to live in “The Moment.”

Action point:

I’m off to blow bubbles in some milk…

I challenge you to do something equally fun and silly that your kids will enjoy. Then come back here and tell us about it.

Comments

• I’m up, should be sleeping. Kids and I have battled a little cold we’re all sharing the past three days. And tonight as we played Monopoly and watched Anne Frank, I decided to not send them to bed. I told Caleb to grab a blanket and Bella to pop some popcorn. (without real butter, I know lame) And we laid out looking at the stars (the few we could see), we ate popcorn, we chatted, and out of nowhere they started a game of charades in the dark. And, I felt like the Mommy I’ve yearned to be for so long. Thank you for letting Jesus nudge your heart to be a part of that journey friend.

You’re right. I never thought about it that way before. I’m reading this at night so we’ll have to do something fun when the kiddos wake up in the morning…hopefully the baby’s fever will be gone. =/ (Blasted 90 degree weather at 5pm in October.) Hubby did play some piano with the kids today and they got out their egg shakers and boogied down to Today is the Day by Lincoln Brewster. =p

• Avatar Dawn says:

My big girl, Amelia, and I watched the humming birds (and bees) feed on our front porch. My little girl, Tallulah, and I sang good morning to the sun. Thank you for the reminder of living in the present moment. I wrote about this recently in my blog, and how quickly life seems to snatch these sweet moments back from us… love to you in the present moment:).

• LOVE it!
    Our ‘moment’ was getting lunch ready. A staple at our house is PB & J – both my boys are HUGE fans. We love to sing the Peanut Butter and Jelly songs while we get them together:

Either
    the how to: “Peanut, Peanut Butter and JELLY!”

or

“It’s Peanut Butter Jelly Time” (my 2 yr old totally cracks up to this one!)

As a theater buff, I love any opportunity to make life a musical! 🙂

• Avatar Anne says:

That is sooooo true… Kids live in the moment and we live in the future or the past. I can sure relate to that one. I love your blog.

• Avatar Cindy says:

Today I went and pushed my little girl on the swing. I did jumping jacks (you know, exercise) and she thought it was hilarious. We did jumping jacks combined with pat-a-cake. Even funnier!

Maybe I’ll do it more often. 🙂

• Oh how I love this post. It’s what I love the most about children…their innocence and having no sense of urgency or time or fear. It’s amazing. I will do just this tonight. If the boys want to play in the sink, or linger a little longer in the bath tub, why not! Thanks for this reminder!

• Avatar Mayhem Mama says:

I just found your website and LOVE it! The funny thing is that I have recently started a blog recording how I am journeying towards a more simple and uncluttered life so that I can be aware of and recognize those special moments that God gives us gifts.

The other day I was walking around a store with my 2 girls who were so bored they could not stand it. From across the way someone was testing out speakers and started playing a song with a great beat. I turned around to the girls and said “Dance!” and we all started dancing in the middle of the aisle. They LOVED it!

• Avatar Mab says:

What a great reminder! I would be less stress when only focused on the moment, one at a time.
    Today we went to the park afterschool. Indvidually I went to the Pumpkin Patch with my baby girl, I practice a little soccer with younger son while we cheered on my oldest boy playing football. This is my crowning acheivement- I took pictures of them capturing the moments and even pictures of me with them so they know I was there years later…

• Avatar Danielle says:

Just wanted to let you know I love your blog!!!! I gave you a blog award on my blog….you don’t need to worry about following the rules….I just wanted you to know that I think you are fabulously gifted by God to encourage moms like me!!!!

• Avatar Light says:

What a great succinct post! Just had a quick gasp of “aha!” Ended with appropriate abruptness too! Good words to hear and pass on! Thanks, I needed that!