By October 5, 2010Get Inspired

The great irony of Motherhood is that the moments we don’t “want” often hold the treasures we’ll cling to for the rest of our lives…

Summer Camp

I don’t want to spend a summer weekend in a cabin surrounded by high energy, low sleep 7 year old girls.

But then, I watch my daughter in all her bravery step off the zipline platform. I wake up to the whispers of her and her friends snuggled in one bunk reading their Bibles together.

I watch her worship, her heart returning to the God who gave her to me and I want to stay at camp forever.

Soapy Hands

My task oriented self doesn’t want to leave a sink full of partially washed dishes to traipse all the way across the house to “COME LOOK!!!!!”. Can’t it wait for later? When my task is done? When my hands are dry?

But then, I see her creation, her words, her eyes. She points to her creation, slips her sweet hand in mine and smiles with pride.

In Magic Marker and 6 shades of pink, “I luv my Mommy.” My heart melts. It’s a work of art.

In the Middle of the Night

I don’t want to get out of my warm cozy bed in the middle of the night.

But then, I hold my little boy, wipe his “cryings” from his eyes, as he snuggles his chubby little face into my shoulder.

He wraps his sweet arms around my neck, his breathing matches mine and there’s nowhere else on earth I’d rather be.

Treasures

There are priceless treasures hidden in every moment of our day.

Are we looking for them right now? Or do we live in the lie the they always wait one step ahead, just out of reach? After the kids go to bed. When they get older. After I get a good night’s sleep.

The most beautiful, valuable diamonds are hidden in lumps of coal that an undiscerning eye would simply toss aside in pursuit of small, worthless stones.

So let us remember that the goal of our days isn’t to achieve comfort, ease or a completed to do list. The goal is to exercise our ability to find the glorious in the mundane. Because it’s there. It’s always there.

And the reward? Priceless.

What treasures have you found lately?

Comments

• Avatar Stacey Beach says:

Mommy, can I help you make dinner? It is so much faster when I do it but we end up having easy conversation and spending time together. Perhaps our DEEP sighs are a flag for us mom’s to be on the alert, something sweet is about to occur!
    Blessings,
    E.W.

• so true –
    look and find the GOOD in the here and now…. a great habit to be in or one may always just be looking and waiting and never really finding or resting

• Avatar Nisha says:

That was simple beautiful…

• Avatar Adrienne says:

Beautifully put. You’ve got me in tears. Thank you for this post.

• Avatar Natalie says:

Kat,
    A beautiful post, thank you! Have you read Ann’s today? You ladies are on the same wavelength today 🙂

• Avatar Betsy says:

Oh. My. Goodness. What a beautiful and timely post – thank you!

• Avatar steadymom says:

So lovely and so true, Kat! Beautifully stated…

Jamie

Beautiful put. Thanks.

• Avatar Dawn says:

Oh, I just blogged about this yesterday, here. I think you might appreciate this…. I love what you say!

• Avatar Michelle says:

Your blog is a treasure! Found my way over from Sunny Mummy and love this post. Its challenged me to find the beauty in moments that we might otherwise miss. For me, I am grateful to be at home today with my sick baby and spend the day nurturing and cuddling her, when she only wants her mum. Theres nowhere else I would rather be, even inspite of the vomit!

• Avatar April says:

Thanks for this post and for all of the wonderful wisdom you share through this blog. I was actually driving to work this morning with less than a good attitude, and God laid the exact same thing on my heart – to treasure the moments in the days, even among the imperfect. Changed my whole outlook and made my day a lot better!

• Avatar Joyce B says:

Perfectly put! Thank you.

• Avatar Kristin says:

Amen! Good reminder. ~K

• Avatar Kristin says:

I struggle with this! I am constantly trying to get through my to do list fast so I can spend time with my kids. I try to remember the quote “our children are not interruptions, they are gifts,” so when they interrupt my list, I try to remember to pause, look them in the eye and listen. I also hear older mothers voices in my head- “ignore the housework, not your kids.”.

It is something I struggle with though because I like having everything done so I can feel relaxed. But I’ve found that when my kids seem to need some attention and I’ve been busy, I’ll take about 15 minutes and focus on them and it fills us both up!

Thanks for your posts they are encouraging!

• Avatar melanie says:

You have a real gift with words. Thanks for this.

But at the same time, what if I do just need some time to myself when the kids are wanting my attention? I don’t want to feel guilty for drawing boundaries, but our kids seems to need us all day and sometimes it just feels like too much. Holy Spirit, come. I guess…

• […] How To Find Diamonds at Summer Camp, While Doing Dishes or in the Middle of the Night […]

• Avatar Rebecca C says:

Very well said, thank you for the lovely post.