How To Make Things Grow

By September 23, 2010Get Inspired

growth

Faithfulness makes things grow.

If we water our garden faithfully it will grow. If we bake faithfully every day, our skills will grow. If we run 500 yards every day, our ability to run fast and far will grow. It’s how we’re made.

Things done faithfully ALWAYS grow.

The amount of time we choose to spend doing something matters less than how consistently we do it. Because doing something consistently will invariable make us want to do it more.

Therefore, if you spend 5 minutes with the Lord each day, your faith can ONLY grow. It can ONLY give you a greater desire to read more, pray more, worship more and serve more.

The Enemy wants us to over commit. He wants us to set high, unrealistic goals because he knows that we never fall when the path is a gentle, upward slope. We fall, fail and give up when we try to climb mountains too soon.

Inertia: Law of Physics that states that an object in motion tends to stay in motion. An object at rest tends to stay at rest.

Whatever it may be that you’re working on to improve your life, remember to start slow. Start small. Action begets action. If you’re faithful, it will snowball.

Faithful forward progress, no matter how slow, will always get us across the finish line.

(FYI – It’s been a busy week with two speaking engagements and an interview, but I’m working on that resource list and I’ll get it ready for you all asap!)

Comments

• Erin says:

As I read this, I’m reminded of this verse: 1 Timothy 4:15 (NIV) (emphasis mine): Be diligent in these matters; give yourself wholly to them, so that everyone may see your PROGRESS.

I like the idea of progress -not having everything accomplished already, but moving toward the goal. It doesn’t say how fast or slow it is, but progress.

Thanks for this post. I needed to hear this today. Those who are faithful with small things can be trusted with much.

• Shawn says:

I’m crawling today.

• YES!!! Love this. And faithfulness is borne out of love!!!!

• Beth West says:

Such a nice post Kat and very true. It can be so tough not to set those steep mountain sized initial goals, but almost everything I’ve succeeded in to date I’ve begun small and just plugged away at it. Brings to mind, Do not despise a day of small beginnings.

• Kat says:

Seriously! It is super hard for me to NOT set really cool goals. I guess I’ve learned my lesson the hard way long enough….finally. 🙂

• SO true.
    I find that often just gettting started is the biggest hurdle, followed by consistency, It’s easy to get overwhealmed if you have too many goals at once. I echo your encouragement to start small. I have a list of areas I’d like to improve but try to focus more on my sucess rather than how far I have to go.

Some things become natural and a habit faster than others, I need to patient with myself and recognize that while I’ll never fully have it together on this side of heaven, with HIM I can succeed in most things.

Thank goodness for that master gardener – He’s always waiting/willing do the work, we just need to be ‘good soil’ for his Goodness to thrive through us.

• Kat says:

“He’s always waiting/willing do the work, we just need to be ‘good soil’ for his Goodness to thrive through us.”

That’s an encouraging reminder! We don’t have to just keep TRYING HARDER – we need to let Him do His work in us.

Takes a lot of the pressure off, don’t you think?

• Andie says:

Thank you! I needed that reminder. 🙂

• I think you were writing this for me today. We had an unusually challenging morning with one of our little guys and this made me think of raising good, christian children. Guiding them a little each day will make them grow. so true. Thank you!

• Kristin says:

I’m so glad I stopped here today! You’ve perfectly described a theme that is lately working out in my life in seveal different areas: my relationship with God; homemaking, mothering and homeschooling. I got off-track in my faithfulness to these commitments earlier this week and the effects were decidedly upleasant. I’m back in my groove again–joy! Reading this post was such a sweet affirmation.

~K

• Susan says:

You are so right that the enemy wants us to over commit! And we fall into that trap so often, taking our eyes off what really matters. Great reminder, sharing this with my gals for Weekend Roundup – thanks!

• daniella says:

I firmly believe God put these words on your heart to write specifically for me. This Type-A hybrid who is either-all-or-nothing-but-still-likes-to-break-her-own-rules-when-she-feels-defeat-because-she’s-loseing-control desperately needed to hear this today. DESPERATELY. I heart you! I know God will make me just as beautiful as you one day. I know it.

• So good! I always overcommitt and end up failing. This is just what I needed to hear!

• […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Melissa Brotherton, Kat @Inspired2Action. Kat @Inspired2Action said: New post: "How to Make Things Grow" – The secret to effective personal growth. – http://ow.ly/2JBzq […]

• Darla says:

Kat,

Thank you Thank you! This was very encouraging to me, I printed out your prayer calendars several months ago and try to use them everyday…but sometimes i fail 🙁 but i tell myself it’s ok i’ll get that one next month when it comes around again! this post is so true! very simple principle yet so easy to ignore or forget just this week i started to work on losing weight/getting in shape again… using the “change one” idea/plan i started walking for 10 minutes each day…. did that for 3 days now… next week gonna add 5 minutes more… these are baby steps i know but with your encouragement to keep it up CONSISTENTLY i will see and feel a change! thanks for your posts! & keep it up you are making a difference in many lives!

• Dawn says:

Kat
    I so appreciate you, and what you’re saying today. This summer I joined a GMG group, and I began getting up at 5.30am to get into a dedicated time with the Lord, and it has moved me forward in a lot of ways. I started a blog recently to share how God is moving in my life. I am thankful for my routine. It makes a tremendous difference in my day- how I treat my family, how the day progresses. I find when I am out of this routine, I tend to break down. I chuckled at what you were saying bc I posted something very similar in my blog (I hope you don’t mind my including the specific link here).
    Bless you!
    D

• Breena says:

This is do-able…which I like. Big and scary goals make me want to curl in a ball and “bawl” like a baby. But, this…I like because THIS is do-able 😉 Thank you!

• […] How to Make Things Grow – A very encouraging (and short) article on how faithfulness and consistency (as opposed to amount of time) will make improvements/changes in life grow.  My favorite line (and the one that any runner or triathlete knows by heart): “When things get hard and the path too steep. Don’t quit. Slow down. Crawl if you have too. But don’t stop.” […]

• It took me decades to learn this, and still I feel inadequate beside the “spiritual greats.” Thank you for reaffirming this.

• Good day! I know this is kinda off topic but I’d figured
    I’d ask. Would you be interested in trading links or maybe guest writing a blog post or vice-versa?
    My website discusses a lot of the same subjects as yours
    and I believe we could greatly benefit from each other.
    If you are interested feel free to shoot me
    an email. I look forward to hearing from you!
    Fantastic blog by the way!