A Very Important Word On Parenting Books etc.

By September 15, 2010General

Caution Tape

(I’m going to postpone sharing the syllabus form until next week. I’d like to include it with the final list of y’all’s recommended resources.)

A Word of Caution

I have a philosophy on knowledge. It’s this:

Learn from everyone.

The world is filled with all kinds of people. Good. Bad. Smart. Um…not smart. Humble. Proud. Rude. Kind.

The reason I encourage you to have a mission statement is so that you’re not swayed by all these people. You know who you are and who you want to be. When you see something admirable, even if it’s buried in ugly, you can still learn from it and let it change you.

“Don’t throw the baby out with the bath water.”

In every book you read, video you watch or bit of advice you receive, there will be chaff and grain. It’s your job to sift it. Don’t just run with everything presented to you. Pray about it. Listen. Then move.

There are a lot of resources I love. And none that I agree with 100%. My children are unique and I do what I believe to be right for them.

“Chew the meat, spit out the bones.”

Be bold. Be confident in the role God has given you and fight until you find what works for your family. Whether the “experts” agree or not.

Comments

• Avatar Lynda says:

There will be chaff and grain. That is such a great way to put it. That is why I chose you for the award. Thank you for making me want to be a better writer, and a better person. 🙂

• Avatar Andrea says:

Wisdom from you Kat. But don’t read anything that makes your heart ache or your blood bubble just before going to sleep. Guarantees you a restless night.

• Avatar Lisa~ says:

I love this! I am always saying, don’t try to be like me…be the best YOU!

You worded it perfectly. I love the line, “As we share parenting resources, it’s important to remember that no one is an expert on your child, except you.”

Exactly! Great post! Lisa~

Exactly why I don’t give advice to other moms unless they ask me, then they pick and choose whatever works for them.

• Avatar jamie says:

I absolutely agree. I do think tho, that there are SOME things that it’s difficult to discern the meat from the bones… and some people take it all as gospel. ((ahem. I may be talking to myself here. sigh.))

• Avatar Sarah says:

jamie, I think we may have had some similarity in our experience, based on your posts here 🙂 I’ve almost choked to death on a couple of bones before I realized that what I was chewing wasn’t the meat!

• Avatar jamie says:

Sarah, I’m very glad to know that I am not the only one who has choked on the bones!

• Avatar Sara M. says:

I know a few people who would take books as gospel. I have one book I would adhere to the most, and there’s several that I have used pieces of. Not all of it works for each child because each child’s personality is different. The true challenge of being a parent is figuring out the personality of your child and which discipline they best respond to. I try to check it with the Bible if there’s any question about it. Most of it is just common sense.

• Avatar Stephanie says:

Good post! Last night as I was checking out one of the resources and it conflicted with much of other resources I had been absorbing lately and both made sense. I was wondering how do I sort all of this out and know what to do.

Then God hit me with this:

“Go to My unchanging, unfailing, constant, perfect Book and see for yourself what I say about parenting”

So my goal for myself now is to follow a Bible in 90 days plan and read the whole Bible searching and seeking for the wisdom He will show me about how to parent my kids.

I did not get up early as I had planned (I had left over headache from my migraine yesterday), but I am starting today. I will likely blog my through it.

• Avatar Erika says:

YES! We are so blessed to have the Bible as the perfect reference point for all our studies!

You sound a little like Sir Francis Bacon–maybe his essay “Of Studies,” but my memory fails me–learning from all “teachers.”

And like so many areas of life, we need to be “strict” with ourselves and “easy” on others.

• Avatar Penny says:

Love this advice! I love to more sola scriptura (only scripture) but I have authors that I love – but the Lord is my only source of 100% truth!

Here from iFellowship – a day late! I love making my way through the entire list – even if it takes me a couple of days!

Have a great Thursday!
    pen

• Avatar BeccaW says:

Great points Kat! One of the things my husband tells me is that you can learn what not to do too, which is just as important as knowing what to do! This is a great series. Thank you!

• […] Of course, I need to say that not all of the items are 100% endorsed. I haven’t read all of these books and several seemed to have both lovers and haters, so be sure to read the Amazon reviews and remember to “chew the meat and spit out the bones.” This is post is a must read before you dive in to this list: A Very Important Word On Parenting Books etc. […]

• Avatar Jenn-Jenn says:

Hi,
    Where do we provide resources?

JENN

• Avatar Terri Schelkoph says:

Would you also say that parenting books should be looked at through a Biblical World View “Screen”? Many parenting books, and even “Christian” parenting groups may offer some interesting ideas about parenting, good bad and the lot of them, however the Bible is the only God Breathed book on parenting. Just because someone adds a scripture here in there in a book doesn’t mean a whole lot. We need to be “Bereans” and compare everything to Gods word.

Terri,
    Oh, I definitely agree!

• Did any of you people notice the crazy floods over in Australia on the news? Simply thought Id mention something here on your blog and listen to how you feel of it.

• Same here, I’ve treat my books as my guide as well as for my friends, but sometimes it might not work but at least we have direction.

• […] Kat shared the importance of a mission statement and cautioned us in regards to parenting books. […]