Things That Inspire Me: Words for My Little Man

By July 3, 2010General

We’ve had pretty exhausting week around here. My amazing husband worked almost 80 hours (!) on a big project. And on the home front, we had lots of parties to attend and I hosted a baby shower at my house. Whew. Not much time for blogging. Thanks for your patience. We’ll start up the Motherhood and Identity series again this week.

Things The Inspire Me

Here’s a “poem” or “word thingy that doesn’t utilize proper grammar or punctuation and only occasionally rhymes.” I wrote it for my son.

My Little Man

I cannot comprehend
The day will come
When I’ll look up to you

My little man

You’ll help me cross the street
And hold my hand
Like I held yours today

My little man

I love how you see my need
Your kisses flow freely
Your thoughtfulness surprising
So thankful and kind

For such a little man

My heart was stolen once
By a man you can dream
To be like someday.

I never knew it would
Be stolen twice

My little man

I love your zeal
I love your charm
You spread joy
Like a neverending gift

What a little man

I can’t wait to see who you become
How you’ll love and live
But for now, I’ll hold you close
And hold your hand

For as long as you’ll let me

My little man

Do you have a little boy? What has been the most wonderful or challenging thing about raising a little man?

Comments

• Avatar Elizabeth says:

I have two little men. I have a feeling that my most challenging times of raising boys are still ahead of me. I want to raise my boys to not feel that they have to conform to or buy into this idea of “machoism” that is so pervasive in our culture. I want them to learn that gentleness is a form of strength and that even making yourself vulnerable enough to let someone else see who you truly are is a form of strength. There is so much masquerading that goes on. I want them to be who they really are not feel ashamed of it. I think that is a tall order, considering there are so many other people and factors that are going to influence them. But that is my hope and prayer for them.

• Avatar Monica says:

I have an 8 year old little man. About a month ago, his tae kwon do group did a performance at a nursing home. He could not remember all of his part and was worried and stressed. I tried to calm him. The master told him he did not have to do it, just come and have fun. As soon as he walked into the nursing home, the best parts of my son came to the top. He immediately started greeting residents, touching them, talking to them. I began to rush him because I did not want to loose the group (now I was the one separated from the spirit of God). We entered the meeting room and when no immediate directions were given, he began to traverse the room. He just went right around the circle, introducing himself and speaking to each person–no matter what they looked like, smelled like or acted like. I will never forget that moment. I looked at him and realized I had done something right…but that even more so he has placed himself in God’s hands because I don’t think I could really teach him to love that unselfishly. There were more wonderful moments, but I will skip ahead to his comment as we left the facility. “Mom, that was heaven.” Thank you Lord for what you are doing in my little man.

Oh, that made me weepy! I think that exemplifies what Elizabeth hopes for her son. Your boy was doing something brave and strong (Tae Kwon Do) and yet showed love, humility and gentleness in the midst of it.

I love it!

• Avatar reba says:

I have four little men. (eldest is just 7) So I sometimes feel like I’m having an immersion experience. (you know like when they just send you to China in order to learn Chinese.)
    What inspires me? Seeing the “brotherhood” develop. There is something super special about the closeness between brothers and watching them grow together is amazing. The playing, the wrestling, the figuring out confrontations, the helping each other….it’s really teaching me about how to love more completely.
    .-= reba´s last blog ..Outside Playtimes =-.

• Avatar Susan says:

I had 2 little men who are now big young men. My boys are 21 and almost 19. The most rewarding thing about raising them has been to see their individual personalities develop and see them become young men. We trained them to respect authority, to obey right away, and to be responsible for their own actions. They are each putting themselves through college. Because we live out of the country, they are living in the US and working this summer, only coming home for a few days in July. Although I miss them terribly, I wouldn’t trade their work ethic and responsibility for anything. Raise them well, ladies! I know how tiring it is to be consistent with discipline and training, but it pays off when they’re teens and older. You will have young men you can be proud of!

• Avatar Erika says:

Thank you, Kat, and ladies for sharing your love for your sons. I am 24 weeks pregnant with my first “little man”, the first in three generations on my Mothers side. I must admit that I feel very lost and overwhelmed at the idea of raising a boy (we have an 18 month old daughter too, that came so naturally to me). Reading your stories and visions for your sons has given me some confidence!

Erika,
      I had two daughters before I had my boy, so I wasn’t quite sure what I was doing either, but it has been SUCH a joy. you’ll do great!

• Avatar Katrina F says:

The hardest thing about raising my two little men (4 and 2)? Not appearing to love them based on their performance – but extending grace, love and mercy all the time. I, too, love watching their friendship and personalities develop – the elder helping the younger, the younger missing the elder if he’s not around. My eldest “throws love at me” every day (instead of toys, rocks, whatever) – I will catch it as long as I can!

• Avatar Prerna says:

Hi,
    I don’t have a little man (yet) but I do have a little lady and I kinda have the same sentiments for her and hence, sharing my thoughts here 🙂 I think the most challenging part of raising her is helping her learn the right values, the importance of being good but not weak, of being right but not rigid.
    Thank you for sharing your poem. It made me go all teary yet happy:-)
    .-= Prerna´s last blog ..7 Baby Products You May Not Need for Your Baby =-.

• My little man is 13 months old (I can’t believe he’s gotten so big!), and I think the biggest challenge I’ll face is yet to come…when he doesn’t come running to Mommy for comfort. =( I started dreading the teenage years before we even ever got pregnant with him…lol!

All these posts make me weepy. Like the rest of you, I want to raise a strong, confident (yet gentle and loving) man from this tiny boy I was given. Praying we all get it right. =)
    .-= Lisa Middleton´s last blog ..Faith As a Verb =-.

• Avatar Sara M. says:

I have 3 little men, each with their own unique personalities. I also have a daughter (my oldest). I am closer to my boys, I think. I am not sure if other moms have this same dynamic in their families. We do our best to be consistent in discipline, teaching them to respect authority and to obey. My oldest, who’s 7, has taken on a leadership role amongst them and often I see him jumping in and helping with his younger brothers (ages 5 and 3). It is awesome to watch them grow up.