Fearless Motherhood: Comfort is the Enemy of Change

By July 19, 2010General

I’ve always loved sports. I love the challenge and the competition. I love pushing myself to see how much farther or faster I can run.

In sports, comfort is the enemy of change.

It’s true in our spiritual lives too.

I want to, need to, get out of my comfort zone and into His, regardless of how terrifying that sounds. Maybe that means reading my Bible instead of blogs. Maybe that means fasting. Maybe that means telling someone I love about His love. Maybe it means spending more time on my knees than on my soapbox. Maybe it means giving up my glory for His.

Because, more than anything, I want my kids to follow wholeheartedly after God.

I have to show them what that looks like.

RSS and email readers, click here to watch this video from Addison Road.

Be deeply, deeply encouraged. You are not who you will be. You are in the act of becoming. You are a change in the making.

Comments

• Avatar Erin says:

Thank you so much for sharing this song…put words to my feelings this morning.

• Avatar Sarah says:

You have no idea how much I need that today. I was up for hours last night thinking about how my life just isn’t where it should be due to my own lack of discipline and apathy and I was feel shame and hopelessness. Thank you for this post.

• Avatar Natalie says:

Amen, Kat! Praise be to “the God who gives life to the dead and calls things that are not as though they were.”

Natalie,
      What an INCREDIBLE verse. I love it. Thanks for sharing that!!!

If anyone is curious, the verse Natalie quoted is Romans 4:17.

• Avatar Ashley says:

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus. – Philippians 1.6

Thankful that He is the One changing me!

• Avatar Susan says:

You are so honest and genuine Kat – thank you for that. I would be so easy for you to share only this positive, “got it all together” side and I am so thankful that you are just like me! I loved that song and will share a quote I got yesterday from “Streams in the Desert” the devotion I am using right now. Our family is going through a healing time, we had a big loss because we stepped out of our comfort zone and I was so touched when I read this: “So trust Him and never push away the instrument He is using, or you will miss the result of His work in your life.” I repeat that over and over again to myself!

• Avatar Heidi says:

Kat, thank you so much for sharing that song. It speaks exactly to what I have been growing in recently. It feels like a confirmation from the Lord that He hears, sees, knows and understands where I am at…and that, yes, I am not meant to be who I am just today. I have real hope! This is so encouraging. 🙂

• Avatar Denise says:

I love Addison Road. Saw them in concert last year. Love this song. The words could not be more perfect. Thanks for sharing.

• Avatar Amber Cullum says:

Thanks for leaving me a comment and thank you, as always for this post. Of course you made my list…….for reasons like this post. It is convicting and oh so true. I have had company since Friday and have neglected his Word since then. Why, oh why???
    .-= Amber Cullum´s last blog ..Multitude Monday VIII =-.

• Avatar Adrienne says:

So true. I’m a runner and try to push myself continually in distance runs. Why do I not push myself the same way spiritually at all times as well? A good question to pray about.

“Maybe it means giving up my glory for His.”

Thanks for another great post.

• My favorite part:
    “You are not who you will be. You are in the act of becoming. You are a change in the making.”
    I LOVE this!
    You have such a gift for motivating and encouraging!
    Thanks.
    .-= Stacy @ Delighting in the Days´s last blog ..10 ways to fit in exercise with kids underfoot! =-.

• Avatar Leslie says:

I so needed this today….I have so many changes to make and can’t discipline myself to do it. I feel like such a failure because no matter how hard I plan to get up early, I end up sleeping late, and then my whole day goes badly.

• Avatar amanda says:

Wow….EXACTLY what I need today. Very physically sore from getting back into whole-hearted workout mode this week and super excited and super convicted about last night’s chapter in my “discipleship” book….because the chapter was about fasting. Eeek. Also, my husband is being stationed in Japan, so two weeks from Friday the movers come and we leave the US for three years. So this is sort of God’s mouth to my ear!

• Avatar Emily says:

Just before clicking on this post, I was literally in tears, feeling nothing like the woman I want to be. God clearly sent this post right to me! THANK you for taking the time to write it, and for hearing God’s voice so clearly, for encouraging tired Moms who need Him so desperately.