Things That Inspire Me: Words For My Children

By June 26, 2010General

I try very, very hard to only share things on this blog that add value to your lives. I dread adding noise.

But there are words that inspire me that don’t fit into the themes I write. And I think they might inspire you too. So, if you don’t mind, I’ll share them on the weekends.

I was looking through some of my scribbles and found this. You might call it a poem. I call it words that don’t require proper grammar or punctuation or rhythm or rhyme. I hope it inspires you.

Your Mother Who Loves You

It’s all such irony
How we’re called to love and hold
And then let go
How the pain of birth
Brings the joy of life
There’s been nothing more refining
Or wonderful it’s true

Than being a mother to you

I hate the hurt that I can’t fix
I hate the me I sometimes am
But the change is constant
And I’ll constantly be
Carrying you on this incredible
Journey with me

Because I’m your mother who loves you

On your own, facing the world
Did I give you what you need
To succeed
Did I say the words that make you believe
There are no limits to what you can be

One day you’ll fly
And I’ll watch you soar
With glistening eyes

As your mother who loves you

There will be days you agree
And days you don’t
Days you run away
Days I hold you close

Whether inches or miles
Come between
I’ll stand on my knees
And fight with all my heart

As the mother who loves you

May we love them well, my friends…

Comments

• Avatar Karin says:

Beautiful thoughts, phrases, ideas! I love the ‘standing on my knees’ part!
    .-= Karin´s last blog ..MORE QUESTIONS =-.

• Avatar jamee says:

Oh Kat, I LOVE this! Thank you for sharing you with us!

• Avatar Adrienne says:

Kat, what a beautiful poem! I also loved the “standing on my knees” image and also the statement about hating the “me that I sometimes am”. I’ve had those days–wishing, hoping, praying I could be somehow better for my kids and husband. Wonderfully worded. Also loved the line which reads “there’s nothing more refining or wonderful”. I know that motherhood has been such a precious gift to me in my walk with Jesus, because truly–it has forced me to grow, change, evaluate, look really hard at myself in a way that nothing else ever has and through all of it, I’ve had to press harder and harder into my Savior. Refining and Wonderful! Thanks for sharing these beautiful insights. God bless you on your journey of motherhood!

• Avatar Amber Cullum says:

This may be one of the more inspiring things you have shared. I really needed to read this and may print it if you don’t mind. I am a new mother. My son is three months old and it has been a tough few months, but I know it is worth it.

Thanks for sharing!!!! I will probably post a link to your post on my blog if that is OK.
    .-= Amber Cullum´s last blog ..Going Down the Big Sandy River =-.

• Avatar Shawn says:

Beautiful. The first one is my favorite. I dread the letting go part of being a mother.

• Avatar Katrina says:

I’m all bleary, teary now. I need to stand on my knees and fight for my boys. Thanks for the reminder.

• Avatar Sarah N says:

That “scribble” is AMAZING! You put into works the ache in my heart when I look at my children. My children have been at my in-laws for a week and I have missed them so much. I can’t stand that I have missed an entire week of their lives.

Thanks you for sharing the poem with us!
    .-= Sarah N´s last blog ..Another monthdisappeared- =-.

• What Katrina said. Don’t make me cry! It’s the weekend! Thank you for sharing your heart. What a beautiful heart it is!
    .-= Lisa Middleton´s last blog ..Faith As a Verb =-.

• Avatar Elizabeth says:

That brought tears to my eyes! Thank you for sharing.

I find it strangely satisfying that I made so many of you weepy. 😉 Thanks for all the nice comments!

• Avatar Nicole says: