Motivation Monday: Pause for S’mores

By June 7, 2010General

I’m writing this from my iPhone, in my sleeping bag, on my top bunk in a cabin filled with excited and exhausted 7 year old girls.

I’m a camp counselor at my daughter’s summer camp this week and it’s been incredibly fun.

I’ve watched her and her friends fearlessly step off a massive zipline platform. And I’ve watched them fearlessly worship God together.

It’s brought tears to my eyes more than once.

Yesterday morning I heard a group of them gathered and whispering on one of the bunks. I went over to ask them to quiet down but I decided not to when I saw that they all had their Bibles out. They were reading and praying.

And no one told them to! I may very well be surrounded by girls who will one day change the world.

So I hope you don’t mind if we pause this week on Motivation Monday. We’ll start back up next week.

Anyone else here ever go to summer camp? Love or hate it?

Comments

• Avatar melissa p. says:

that’s all the motivation i needed this monday morning…i’d love to go to camp with my 7 year old daughter! what an experience!

• Avatar Amy says:

I used to go to summer camp when I was young, and I have so many wonderful memories from that time! I look forward to my son and daughter being able to have similar experiences when they are older!

• Avatar Clover says:

I have many wonderful memories of spending weeks in the summer at Camp Allen!! “It’s the place to be for fun and laughs galore…” First dance with a boy (though we were only about 11 and it was super-awkward), swim time every day, with “canteen” afterward (I always had a Kit Kat and a Coke), the smell of those ear drops they would put in after swimming, NO air conditioning in the cabins in the Texas heat and humidity (don’t know how we survived), and being so hungry from the activities and sweet pine-scented fresh air you didn’t even mind the cafeteria food. I can’t wait to send my boys there when they are old enough!

• Avatar oh amanda says:

Summer Camp is one of my best memories!
    .-= oh amanda´s last blog ..I WANT TO BE WILDER: An Intro =-.

• Loved the fact you wrote that post from your iPhone while camping. In just a few words, I could totally “feel” the energy in your corner of the world. Awesome! I can’t wait to take my kids camping this summer. It’s going to be quite an adventure (they’ve never gone camping).

Angelica @ Modern Familia

• Avatar JoAn says:

I didn’t go to a Christian camp till I went with my kids as a counselor. It was one of the most rewarding experiences I’ve ever had. They continue to go as campers and counselors themselves.

• Avatar Amy says:

I spent every summer 7-12 at Word of Life Island in Schroon Lake, NY. Some of the most memorable times of my life. I rededicated my life to the Lord there in the summer of 1983. My son will be spending his second summer there working for eight weeks. It grew him so much last year. I can’t wait to see what God is going to do this year. My 7th grader will be spending her first year at the island and my 8 year old got her first year at the Ranch last year. She couldn’t wait!

• Avatar Jennifer says:

I loved summer camp. It was an extra special time since my parents sacrificed a lot to be able to let me go. It was Girl Scout Horse Camp. I loved every minute of it. I pray I will get to go to summer camp again, only this time as a camp counselor, sleeping on a top bunk listening to my 7 year old daughters whispering to God. YOU are an awesome mom! Have fun!

• Avatar Andrea says:

I am actually going as a leader to a youth camp this year. It is my fifth year being a leader to a bunch of teenage girls and I LOVE it!!
    I see the same type of situations as you saw with your little group. It is so amazing to see these wonderful girls who will one day change the world. I look up to THEM a lot.

• Avatar holly says:

i didn’t go to camp much as a young child. however, i did go to a christian youth camp once as a young teen (i’m pretty sure it was the summer before my 9th grade year). and that’s where i was saved. needless to say, it was a memorable trip and i am so thankful for that week, and for the friend who helped guide me to a christian life.
    .-= holly´s last blog ..a scene from the beach =-.