Summer of Purpose: Accomplish Something Big

By April 27, 2010Summer Planning

Photo Credit

The nerdy girl who loses her braces, gets contacts and comes back in the fall as the coolest girl on campus. The little freshman runt who grows a foot, works out and returns to school as the football hero.

Maybe it’s all the teeny bopper movies I watched when I was younger, but I always see summer as an amazing time for change and growth. It’s wonderful what can be accomplished in 3 small months.

Set Summer Goals with Your Children

Summer vacation is the perfect time to help our children set a goal to learn a new skill or improve and old one. It’s amazing how just a little vision and direction can inspire children to work together and accomplish big things.

As moms, we need to lead the way. We need to set our own goals for the summer. The great thing about summer goals is that they are especially and uniquely fun. Because summer is (or should be) especially and uniquely fun.

Take some time to set a goal or two to accomplish over the next three months. Then schedule a time to take each of your children out on a date in the next few weeks to tell them about your goals and help them set their own.

Make it a family effort – post everyone’s goals on the refrigerator along with fun progress charts and set a time each day for everyone to update their chart.

Why Set Summer Goals

The point of setting summer goals for our children isn’t just to make them better at some skill or activity. That’s certainly a benefit, but I think the greater goal is to help them learn the importance of goal setting, the wonderful feeling of achievement when they succeed, and the habit of self discipline.

It’s an opportunity for them to practice making decisions.
They can choose how they spend their time, so they’ll need to often choose between what they feel like doing and what they need to do in order to reach their goal. These are extraordinarily valuable life lessons.

By working with your child to set the goal(s) we can ensure that it is attainable and won’t overwhelm them. If it is a challenging one, be sure to set milestones so that they can revel in their success along the way.

Tomorrow we’ll walk through the process of helping our children set challenging yet achievable goals.

Summer is fun. Make sure that setting and achieving these goals isn’t a a chore, but a wonderful way to share the joy of summer with your children.

Action Steps:
1. Set your own goals for the summer.
2. Schedule dates with each of your kids to help them set their own goals.

Question: What is one thing you’d love to learn yourself or that you’d love to teach your children this summer?

(This post is part of Works For Me Wednesday.)

Comments

• Avatar elizabeth c. says:

how young do you think this is applicable to? … my oldest is 6… i really have some lofty goals for myself this summer, after reading this, i wonder how to incorporate the kids as well?

Elizabeth,
      I think it can be applicable down to toddlers as long as the goals are kept super simple, clear and fun.

The main difference with setting goals with younger kids vs older ones, will be your level of involvement and direction.

But even little ones can understand the idea of setting a goal and the joy of accomplishment. Go for it.

• Avatar Hollie says:

I’ve been thinking about this lately and I’d love to introduce a new language this summer. I’m not sure how much progress we will make as a family, but I think it’s something we could all do together and enjoy!

Hollie,
      That does sound like fun. There are all kinds of fun and creative family activities you could work into that too. What language do you plan to learn?

• Avatar Leslie says:

Well, my goal, I know isn’t very big, but I really want to get into an exercize routine, and get my kids from watching so much cartoons and television….like I said not too lofty, but at least they are mine, LOL.

Leslie,
      Those are huge goals! I think they’re goals that all of us are probably needing to work on. I hope you meet all your expecations!

• Avatar Becky says:

Summer is a wonderful time to set goals. Several years ago we all made “lists of five” to complete during the summer. It was fun AND productive. Here’s the link to the post I wrote about it – Summer Fun and Learning.
    .-= Becky´s last blog ..WFMW – The Dictionary =-.

• Avatar Kelly Cook says:

I want to practice making various dairy products with our goats milk and experiment with saving our own hay/forage for feeding the goats in winter. My son is only 4, so I don’t know if setting goals or even one is within his realm of understanding. I’m sure I could incorporate his energy and desire to be “strong” into a mommy/son workout time!
    .-= Kelly Cook´s last blog ..Udder Amazement =-.

Kelly,
      That’s a good idea. Even if they’re not old enough or interested enough to set their own goals, little ones would certainly LOVE to help Mommy reach her goals.

• Avatar Amy says:

This summer I would like to continue to work on de-cluttering the house and finish a few of the craft projects that I have started at various times. I would also like to teach my 5 year old to read as he is right on the verge of learning. I think I would also like to teach my 10 year old to type properly.

Amy,
      Typing. That’s a good one. I’m sure that’s a skill that will be ridiculously useful in this digital age.

• Avatar Shawn says:

I’d like my son to be potty trained by the end of the Summer. We have been taking things slow and steady since December with lots of positive reinforcements. In June I’m planning to transition from diapers and a potty chair to potty training underwear and the toilet (including public toilets). It seems like such a big move! To me I might as well be proclaiming that I will be the next female president at the end of the Summer.

Shawn,
      Ha! Oh, I’m sure it will go much easier than you think. I’m in the process of potty training mine and while it’s kind of a hassle, it’s really gone so much better than I’d imagined.

• Avatar Jamee says:

Hmmmm……this is good stuff. I’ve been thinking about our summer routine and loose framework vs. too much structure that I can’t keep up with. Cause then I’d just give up, ha!

I thought today about having a commitment to volunteer as a family somewhere weekly this summer. Its me and my 3 wee ones – 7,6, and 3.

Has anyone done this? Any ideas on places to check into?

• Our nearly 5 year old has been expressing interest in learning to read for the past several months. My hubby and I are looking forward to investing some extra time this summer to work on that with him – so exciting! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Heidi,
      My 5 year old learned how to read over the past few months and it’s been so incredibly fun to watch her progress.

Sounds like you’ll have a really memorable summer.

• Avatar Momma says:

I’ve been planning our summer activities and I love the idea to make them goals, with rewards of course! What fun, thanks for sharing, and I can’t wait to follow along with you this summer.

• Avatar mindy says:

I’ve GOT to clean out the kids individual bins of saved projects, school work, etc. I started last summer and only got 1 done! My goal is one big bin per kid – to last the entire 12+ years of school – I’ll have to get back to you in a few years on whether or not that goal was met!

P.S. I’d like to do fun stuff too:)

• […] first posts in this series are here, here and here. Today we have a few more tips on setting summer goals with our […]