The Most Powerful Way To Impact Your Child

By March 23, 2010General

miracle match race with the kidsIt was 6:30 in the morning, 34 Texas degrees outside, dark, drizzling and windy. I told my girls we weren’t going to go for a run that morning and…

They cried.

My 5 and 7 year old girls cried because I wouldn’t take them out in the FahREEZing, wet weather to RUN.

Why was it so important to them?

Because it was important to me. They saw me running in the morning and wanted to be like mommy.

Whether we like it or not, our children pick up on what we value. And they value it too. The good and the bad.

If…Then

If we want our children to read the Bible, then we need to be committed to reading it. If we want our children to pray, then we need to be women of prayer. If we want our children to value their health, then we must value ours.

Our children will ALWAYS follow our actions rather than just our words. The most powerful way to impact our children is to live out the values and characteristics we dream for them.

Action Steps:

1. What characteristics do you want your children to have? List them out and then beside each one put a 1-10. 1 means that I need a lot of improvement in modeling it and 10 means my picture is next to that word in the dictionary. The highest priority/lowest ranking ones are the characteristics we need to intentionally work on modeling to our children.

2. What are your most consistent habits every day? Are those habits you want your children to have?

Incidentally, I did end up taking them for a run that morning. Because it was important…to all three of us.

This post is part of WFMW.

Comments

• Avatar Lindsey Gump says:

This is exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you. And that is sooo cute that your children love to run so much. I am truly inspired to action!

• Avatar peggy says:

ouch. you say it so well and speak the truth
    .-= peggy´s last blog ..Spinach is $1 at Safeway starting tomorrow! =-.

• Avatar Heather says:

Too true.
    .-= Heather´s last blog ..My Most Awesome Birthday Present =-.

• Avatar Melanie says:

I really love this! I don’t have children yet, but I truly appreciate this imploring post!

Blessings!

• so true, they’re ALWAYS watching…
    .-= heidi @ wonder woman wannabe´s last blog ..Re-Ignite Date Night {#31} =-.

• Avatar Mela Kamin says:

So true … really glad I stopped by – this is a great reminder. Thanks for sharing!

• Avatar Amy Lynne says:

You are so wise! I think my boys are placing value on things we are doing to make our lives healthier because they see their dad and I working toward the changes. It works in my classroom too! Children really do watch everything you do!
    .-= Amy Lynne´s last blog ..Good News =-.

• Avatar Sue says:

I came here from Simple Mom. I absolutely love your blog. It is exactly what I need right now. Thank you! It’s really fabulous!

• Avatar Katie says:

This is so true! Thank you. I have grown up in the church, with my grandfather as a pastor, but I have never really made daily time with God a priority. I have always valued it and admired others who did make God a daily part of their routine. This was my new year’s resolution, and I have to say that the more time I spend with Him the more time I want to spend. I wake up early and get in some quiet time with God before the rest of the house is up, but when I read my Bible when my 15 month old son is awake, he grabs a book and sits beside me and “reads”. I think this is a perfect example- even at his tender age, he is beginning to value what I do… time with the Lord.

• Avatar Christen says:

I found you through Simple Mom, and wow, I’m so glad I found you. I just gave birth to a baby boy last Monday and have a 3 year old girl as well. I am trying to re-establish a routine that works for my family and I have now been reminded that it starts first and foremost with my spiritual walk with the Lord. I am so looking forward to reading your e-book. Thank you for being a blessing to all us moms out here.

Christen

• Avatar Tiffany says:

So very true – thank you for the great reminder! Children learn by example!!
    .-= Tiffany´s last blog ..A Good Reminder =-.

• Avatar Debby says:

As a fellow runner, LOVE that story – and I love how you tied it to SO MUCH more important things. When I get home from a run, my 3 year old asks how it was, how far I went, and how I felt. How amazing if she saw me put the bible down and she asked what I read, what God taught me, etc – oh how I pray for that day!