Purposeful Motherhood: How To Use Your Mission Statement

Motherhood Mission Statement - image of sticky note
A mission statement is worthless.

A mission statement is worthless unless it is seen and usedรขโ‚ฌยฆ.often. So how do you “use” a mission statement?

1. Post Your Mission Statement Where You’ll See It Often

Make sure you post it in one or multiple places where you’ll see it throughout the day and week. I have mine posted at the top of my weekly planning sheet that I keep in the front of my notebook.Some places you could post it are:

• On your refrigerator
  • On your bathroom mirror
  • Keep it in the front of your Bible
  • Write it in your prayer journal
  • Make it the screen saver on your computer
  • Frame it and put it on your wall

2. Measure Things Against Your Mission Statement Regularly

Your mission statement needs to be a part of your regular decision making. When you are planning for the week, month or year measure your plans against your mission statement. Do they line up? Do the things you plan to do help you reach your goals?

When new opportunities arise, measure them against your mission statement. Don’t say yes unless they are a match.

3. Review and Revise Your Mission Statement

Your mission statement shouldn’t be set in stone. As you grow and change, it should change with you. The changes will be small and subtle but hopefully each incarnation of your statement will only inspire you more.

4. Make More Mission Statements

You don’t need to limit yourself to just a life mission statement. You can create mission statements for every aspect of your life or your family. You could even help your kids create their own.

For example, OrgJunkie has a Housekeeping mission statement. When she shared it in the comments here I was so completely inspired by it.

To provide an inviting and peaceful household environment, for my family and all that enter, that is conducive to living simply, loving deeply and laughing abundantly. I will make strides everyday to achieve this by practicing and teaching good daily habits and routines along with effective organizational skills. I will graciously and cheerfully serve my family and genuinely enjoy my commitment to creating a home sanctuary that is above all else pleasing to God.

You could create a mission statement for how you want to approach health and nutrition in your family. You could have one for your blogging goals, or your ministry roles at church.

Just remember that your Life mission statement is the one that should dominate your decision making and goal setting. The other statements can be used to inspire and give direction, but don’t let them ever take precedence over your primary one.

Conclusion

When it comes to our Mission Statement, we need to either use it or lose it. There’s no point in creating one if we’re not letting it affect our goals and decisions. So put it in a prominent place. Constantly review it to make sure it’s relevant. And expand it to give you direction in every aspect of your life.

How do you use your Mission Statement?

2GNG4RUPH78A

Comments

• Org Junkie says:

You know I’ve been meaning to frame my mission statement to display on my desk where I’d see it each morning and throughout the day. You’ve reminded me to do just that. Thank YOU!

Laura

• Jessica says:

Brilliant post as usual, Kat. I am WAY behind on my homework (sickness of 3 kids out of four, then me sick, all while my man is across the ocean….) but I plan on making it up soon! I wanted to state my appreciation although my partecipation is slim…. I had been working on a family mission statement since last spring, and that one DID come together exactly as I wanted, which is a great reminder when things are crazy… Now, onto a motherhood one ; ) And, for the record, basil pesto is SOOOOOO easy to make and SOOOO good to boot! Do give your friend’s basic recipe a shot: TOTALLY worth it (but we are quite biased, living as we do right where it was concocted to begin with!) Cheers!

• Evelyn says:

What a fabulous post! Thank you for the whole series. The next inspired action I plan to take is to write a mission statement for my home and post it on the fridge. ๐Ÿ˜‰
    .-= Evelyn´s last blog ..How to Use Your Auto-Responder to Nurture a Relationship with Your Email List =-.

• Natalie says:

Your blog is so motivating and encouraging. Thank you! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Mary says:

I have just stumbled upon your blog this morning and I see I have some catching up to do! The posts I have read so far have been so inspiring and PRACTICAL. I’m nothing if not practical and your ideas are just what I’ve been looking for. I’m a mother of a 14 year old boy and after 14 years I still don’t have this whole motherhood thing figured out.

• Andrea says:

I don’t know how I missed the last couple of posts. ๐Ÿ™
    Guess I need to catch up!!!
    Can I just tell you that I LOVE this blog!! I am so excited to make my mission statement!! I am a goal setter………but I have never taken the time to make a mission statement. I like that idea a LOT.
    Thank you!!

• Deanne says:

Is anyone else struggling with their mission statement? I am too wordy and can’t seem to state things succinctly, unless, of course, I just steal Kat’s, and don’t think that hasn’t crossed my mind! It’s fabulous and worth stealing!

I’m still praying about it, and really want to complete this goal…… Any advice? Encouragement? Sympathy? ๐Ÿ™‚

• Kat says:

Deanne,
    You’re definitely more than welcome to steal mine. But if you want to craft your own, would you care to share what you have so far and maybe we could help adapt it.

• Tara says:

I have digi-scraped mine and am printing it to put in the front of my home planning file. It’s the very first thing I’m putting in. Very excited about it, and would love to hear your thoughts on a home planning file some day. ๐Ÿ™‚
    .-= Tara´s last blog ..Wall Art =-.

• Sarah says:

I attended your breakout session this past weekend at the Women’s Conference and it was sooo great! Thank you so much for speaking and pouring out your heart. I was so encouraged and felt like I got do-able goals! And the very next day I downloaded the taylor swift song ๐Ÿ™‚ I loved the whole talk and went home raving about it to my other new mom friends! And got the cd to share with them! They will be blessed too I’m sure!