It’s Time To Change Your Story

By March 30, 2010General

My kids watch a show called Super Why! It’s a cartoon! It’s about super heroes! They speak in exclamation points!! The characters have disproportionately large heads…

You know, standard children’s show.

Well, these super heroes solve problems with their reading skills. If a book ends badly, and the main character says, “I can’t help (fill in the bad decision) it’s in my story…’the little boy (fill in the bad decision)!” – the Super Readers jump in and change the words to the story and save the day.

It’s SUPPOSED to teach kids reading skills.

He Did Not!
So the other day my 2 year old son was picking on his sisters. I said,”Son, you cannot bother your sisters.” His reply?

“I can’t help it Mommy! It’s IN my stooory! …da…wittle …boy …bahders …his …sistews.”

Oh yes he did.

Cute story, Kat, but what does that have to do with me?

What Is Your Story?

We all have a story. An event happened (or didn’t happen), a physical feature we have (or don’t have), a role we play (or don’t play), certain knowledge we have (or don’t have) we let define us. We let it hold us back, tear us down or limit who we can become.

For example, I never knew my mother. She died when I was 9 months old. I have no memories of her. I don’t know what it’s like to HAVE my mother, so how can I possibly BE a mother. I could say, “It’s in my story,’The little girl can’t be a good mom. She has no idea what she’s doing.'”

But here’s the awesome part. The Bible calls God the “Author” and Perfecter of our faith. He is an Author. He can change my story. He is changing my story.

There is nothing impossible for Him. There is no story He cannot change.

An Amazing Story

Dick Hoyt was told his son should be institutionalized. He was told his son would never communicate. He was told his son had no future.

But his son, Rick, could communicate (via typing) and his son told him he wanted to compete in a race. So, Dick, who was very out of shape at the time, pushed his son’s wheelchair for 5 grueling miles. Afterwards, Rick typed, “Dad, when we were running, It felt like I wasn’t disabled anymore!’

Now, at 65 and 43, they’ve competed in over 200 triathalons including many Ironman competitions. (RSS readers, click here to watch the video. And grab a tissue…)

Dream big dreams, write them down, wake up early and let Him tell you His plans for your day, and let Him make your life one of the greatest stories ever told.

Nothing, nothing, nothing is impossible for Him.

Action Step

1. Write down the parts of “your story” that you need God to change.
2. Spend a few minutes praying about them each day.
3. Journal as God changes your story. What a gift it will be for your children.

What is your story, or how has God already changed it?

Comments

• jamee says:

Man, Team Hoyt gets me E.V.E.R.Y. time!!

My mentor told me ‘Change your actions, change your story.’ Totally makes sense.

Thanks for sharing your wisdom, friend-

• Catie says:

Wow. You are so right. God is so much bigger than we can imagine! Through Him we really can do anything. Man, after watching that vid, I feel like I could take on the world… one diaper at a time. 😉

As always, great post and do you mind if I link up to it on my blog? 🙂
    .-= Catie´s last blog ..Newby Finance 101: Post 4 =-.

• Vicki B. says:

Thanks for this message. It truly speaks to my heart!

• Jenny says:

Hi–I just found your blog yesterday, and LOVE IT! It ties in with so many things that are going on in my life right now–finding courage to act on the things God is calling you to do.

I’m actually teaching a study based on the book “In a Pit With a Lion on a Snowy Day” by Mark Batterson right now. Have you read it? (If not, you should–it’s fantastic, and I’m pretty sure you’d love it!)

Anyhow, great blog, keep the posts coming!!!
    .-= Jenny´s last blog ..Dogs in Boyland =-.

• Kat says:

Jenny,
      You know I JUST heard someone talk about that book the other day. It sounds very intriguing, to say the least.

I’ll have to check it out. Thanks!

And I’m SO glad you like the blog and find it encouraging. I really appreciate you taking the time to share that.

• hi, i jam not a blogger, but just “ran into’ ur blog, after reading “the ONE factor” blog, after reading about “the ONE factor” book:D
    awesome blog! thank u for sharing, and i am got to get ur free book “maximize your mornings”.
    thankds again and God bless you:D

• wow – what an amazing story! It’s examples like that that really put our own lives into proper perspective, that’s for sure.

• Tracy says:

I love the Hoyt story! We were actually in Hawaii for an Ironman competition. My husband was competing and I was cheering. I always say it was the longest 14 hours of my life! Three months pregnant with my in-laws all day in the Hawaii heat, wondering as every ambulance went by if my husband had somehow broken down, gotten hurt, etc. The Hoyts were actually in Hawaii and we were waiting in the airport at the same time as they were. They were truly an inspiration. I will never forget seeing the loving, committed father with his son, who would do, and did do, anything in the world that he thought was in his best interest for his son.

Thank you for reminding me; that is what God is to us. Thank you, as always, for your words of encouragment and inspiration!

• Kim says:

Catie, I’m with you on the “one diaper at a time” phrase. Good perspective. Each diaper, each day is one day closer to my little guy growing to be the man God has created him to be.

Kat, send tissue next time.

• God has changed my story so many times already that it’s sometimes hard to keep up!

He helped me simultaneously heal my broken marriage and stop smoking pot. He helped me stop living for me, and start living for Him. He brought me out of the pits of despair, and for that I am forever grateful!!

I am so thankful that His mercies are new every morning. I recently had a slip up in the smoking pot department, and have been struggling ever since. I want you to know that you and your blog have both touched AND motivated me to do better! Please keep me in your prayers. I will be back to visit often, and then I’ll have one more thing to tout about that God has changed in me. =)
    .-= Lisa Middleton´s last blog ..Awesome mail and D90 tips. =-.

• Mandy says:

that is hilarious!! My 2 year old loves Super Why!

• Jacquelynne says:

Kat, I love love love this post. I have always felt it’s a shame that we don’t realize more often that Jesus is not just for eternity, He is for today. He wants to change our story into His story, the story He has written for us before the world began…
    For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. Ephesians 2:10

• Judy Goddard says:

Way to go KAT! You rock Mommy world! Thanx for sharing. How much nicer it is when we remember the Author or the
    Whole Story!

• Annie says:

Thanks for sharing this! I am so glad I found it. I need to have God change my story. This is just made me realize that He indeed can change my story! Thanks for putting what I need into the perfect words!!

• […] I took time to ask God to change my story this morning. This is what I am right now. Oh man – I’m really going to share this […]

• Thomasina says:

That show was my sons favorite! He would wake me up at 5 am to watch it! On another note, I am glad to be reminded that Christ has my name in His book and I am able to rewrite my story to line up with His will. 🙂