How To Get Back On Track

By March 13, 2010General

Get back into a morning routine. Train tracks.What a month I’ve had!

The Whiney Paragraph
I was sick for most of February and my kids were sick the rest of it. You name it, we had it. Allergies, sinus infections, bad reactions to antibiotics, fever, chills, stomach bugs and so much more. It was NOT fun.

The Confessional Paragraph
As a result, I didn’t get up at my usual time of 5:30 for at least 3 weeks. My Bible study times were sporadic. I apparently forgot what working out felt like. My blogs fell silent. And my to do list piled up just like my laundry.

We finally started feeling better in the beginning of March. It was a critical juncture. I had two choices. I could feel overwhelmed or I could choose to overcome.

The Victorious Paragraph
I’m happy to report that I am overcoming and getting back on track. Here are a few tips that helped me. I hope you find them helpful when you get off track.

Just Start

Today is the best day to get back on track. Don’t wait until tomorrow or next Monday. Start right now. Yes, now. Go ahead. Start.

Ignore the past

Don’t worry about what you didn’t do yesterday or last week. Just focus on what you CAN do now.

Start Small

Give yourself grace and just start simply. Don’t expect to jump right back in to a 5:30 wake up time and a daily 3 mile run. Start small again and work your way back up. It might take a couple days, or it might take a couple weeks, but something is better than nothing and momentum will get you to your goal.

Join Forces with a Friend

Find a friend to help motivate you and keep you accountable.

Rely on Your Routines

If you don’t have a routine in place, it’s really hard to get back on track. So make sure you have a routine in place that you can rely on when you get off track.

Plan It

In addition to a basic system (morning routine, cleaning routine etc) you need to plan how you’ll tackle the backlog of laundry, errands and responsibilities that have accumulated.

Take 15 minutes to list all the things you need to do. (You can use this handy FREE “to-do” form.) Write them down and then number them and put them in order of importance. It’s easy to feel overwhelmed when we have our to do list floating around in our head. Things seem so much more manageable when we aren’t constantly trying to remember what it is we need to do.

So, get that list out of your head and onto some paper. When you have a list, you only need to remember the next item on that list. It will significantly reduce feelings of being overwhelmed.

One Task At A Time

Rome wasn’t built in a day and Mt. Laundry won’t be conquered in 24 hours either. Things didn’t pile up overnight. So don’t feel like you need to catch up overnight. Take your plan and do one thing at a time.

Conclusion and Community

Getting back on track can feel overwhelming, but it’s simple if we just start, plan it and take it one task at a time. Narrow your focus so that you just see the next step. Climbing a mountain is hard, but taking one step is easy.

Climb on.

Are you on track or off track? What tips can you share for staying/getting back on track?

Comments

• Sorry to hear you were sick. It seems like it’s getting everyone. We were pretty much out of commission for the whole February too after going to a kid’s birthday party. Lots of kids in an enclosed space and everyone getting sweaty is a recipe for disaster. I’m still not fully recovered since I’m not able to rest that much. Hope everyone is 100% soon.
    .-= Joyce @ Keeping Up With The Moys´s last blog ..Our Week in Photos (Week 11 of 52) =-.

• Avatar Elena says:

Buff, what a terrible february you had! Seems like everyone is getting sick. I myself was sick this last week, so yes, I am off the track. Last friday I spent a few minutes doing a list of all the things that needed to be done, and hopefully I will be on schedule by the end of today! ๐Ÿ™‚ I guess the only tip I can give is making a list. Iร‚ยดm a list-freak, and love to have everything organize and written down, because otherwise I tend to forget some of the things that I need to do. Appart from that, try to get back on schedule as soon as possible. The longer you wait, the harder it gets.
    Hope you and all your family gets well soon!

• This is such a wonderful, practical post. Thanks for sharing. Linking to it in my sidebar this morning. Too good not to share!
    .-= bright and blithe´s last blog ..simplifying: the laundry =-.

• Avatar Casie says:

I am currently off track, only by a couple days, but it is already daunting to start again. Thanks for the encouragement! I want to say thank you- I follow all your posts but don’t usually comment. Know that we are reading and being encouraged even if you don’t always hear back! Thank you!

Casie,
      I hope you’re able to get back on track soon. Life knocks us off track often, but I’ve found that the more often I get back on track the easier it gets the next time.

Thanks for your words of encouragement. They mean more than you know.

• Avatar Sheena says:

Thanks for sharing. Sometimes I read blogs and think the writers are Superwoman, but it’s nice to hear that they’re regular people who get off track, just like I do. Right now, amazingly enough, I’m on track. I recently revamped my routines, so I think it’s the thrill of something new keeping me going. Hopefully by the time the newness wears off, the routines will have become habits and I can stay basically where I need to be.
    .-= Sheena´s last blog ..My Church’s Video Department =-.

• Avatar Diana says:

Thanks for posting this. I’m sorry you had an icky month! I really needed this! I’ve been off track and beating myself up over it. I have never been one to have a routine. I was raised in a routine-less environment, and I became a sporadic, unsure adult. I realize how important routines are now. They make you feel secure. I have a daughter now and I want her to grow up secure and to have something I didn’t, but I’m struggling with making myself stay in a routine of anything. I’m an excellent starter, but I get bored, and then angry, then discouraged. It’s a cycle I now see clearly, so I’m counting that as progress. I am in the stage where I try to push myself to start over after failing at maintaining it. Anyway, by God’s grace, I’ll get there and be better for it!

I’ll be praying for you Diana. There isn’t much harder than forging a new trail. But be encourage that every time you get back on track you are making the way easier for your daughter.

You can do it!

• Avatar elizabeth c. says:

thanks for this encouragement…i want desperately to have a routine (at least of sorts) and to get my home under control (or at least manageable) …but i am finding it so hard with my little ones … if i am getting things close to under control – i feel like i am neglecting my kids (6,3, 6 months)…any tips for staying the course (or even getting one) with little ones?

It’s definitely a struggle. If you’re husband is on board with you that makes all the difference in the world.

For me, routines were MUCH easier after the 6 month mark. If your youngest has a good sleeping routine, I’d try to base your routine off that. Start by waking up 15 minutes before the first feeding. Or you could just stay up after the feeding and use that time for prayer and planning. Taking the time to pray about your day and plan for it REALLY helps as you try to develop a routine.

With little ones, it’s important to make sure the routine is flexible so that it can work regardless of wake up times, diaper blow outs, tantrums etc.

Does that help?

• Avatar diana says:

Oh man, it has been a hard month here too. miss you guys

I wish we were closer (that’s not a hint or anything) so that we could have been miserable together. ๐Ÿ™‚ Love you!

• Avatar Brianna says:

I was just thinking about how you hadn’t blogged here in a while and prayed for you the other day. Sorry to hear you’ve had such a rough month. Thank you for your honesty and help. The only thing I’m still on track with is getting up early. But I’m still trying to figure out how to do the early morning routine. I feel a little like I just flail around after my time in God’s Word. I’m gonna’ try the list thing today. Maybe that will help.

Well, Brianna, thank you so much. You have been such an encouragement to me in this blogging journey.

What are the things you’d like to get done after your time in the Word?

• So glad you’re getting back on track. Missed You (can you miss a blog, I submit that you can) while you were gone.
    This is a GREAT post. We all need to remember this at one time or another.
    .-= Kathy@House of Hills´s last blog ..Top Ten Tuesday: ME! =-.

• Avatar Ashley says:

Oh dear… am I supposed to be getting up in the mornings? LOL This morning, I looked at my clock when I heard the kids wake up and thought “just five more minutes” only to wake up next an hour and a half later. I really need to work on the whole “getting up at a decent hour” thing. It works best for me when I have somewhere to be in the mornings…
    .-= Ashley´s last blog ..Back to SCHOOL!!! =-.

An hour and a half later? That’s a looong 5 minutes.

I’ve totally done that. I actually realized I need to set 2 alarms. One of the I have to get out of bed to turn off…

• Feb. was a rough month for our whole family sickness-wise too. Glad you’re feeling ‘back on track’ I am as well.

Great encouraging reminders today, thanks!

Heidi,
      Yeah…what’s up with February? So sorry to hear you all were sick too! But I’m glad to hear you’re already back on track. Sounds like you can remove the wannabe from your name. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Avatar Diana says:

Thanks, Kat! I realized the other day that one of my big hurdles is the fact that my DH gets up at sporadic times. I use that to justify why I can sleep in too. He doesn’t have a set time to be up, so I have fluttered on and off at my set time. I am currently being more consistent for myself, but a lot of time is spent trying to figure out what time he’ll be up so I can have things ready for him in time. UGH! Anyway, last night, he told me he needed me to help him get up at 0800! He said he wants to be up at that time, but can’t seem to make it happen, and he was asking ME for help! I can’t believe this, but it may just be what I need. If he is depending on me, then I have a responsibility to him to make sure he’s up. Here’s praying the pressure works!

• […] family recently emerged from a bout with the Black Plague. Or something like that. All I know is I was down and out for almost 2 full weeks. I. Felt. […]

• Avatar Tara says:

I think yesterday we just about got on top of everything that piled up while we have all been suffering a little bout of gastro.

Come Monday it should be life back to normal… Hooray.
    .-= Tara´s last blog ..Wall Art =-.

• […] you on track or off track? What tips can you share for staying/getting back on […]