Squash Your Morning Excuses: A Purpose Greater Than Comfort

CRASH!!! Searing pain. A badly twisted ankle.

Now I must run on it. I must jump. I must come down hard on that ankle. The pain will send me to the floor.

But I do it anyway.

Why?

If I said, “Just because.” You’d call me insane.

If I said, “Olympic gold medal.” You’d call me Kerri Strug.

She had a purpose that was greater than her comfort.

What is your purpose? Why are you getting up early in the morning? Is it just because you think you should? That’s not good enough.

Olympians don’t sacrifice, struggle and push themselves beyond comfort every day just because they should. They have a very clear and specific goal. The Olympic Gold Medal. One thing. One dream. One tangible purpose.

Name your goal. “I want to be a patient mother.” “I want to be joyful.” “I want God to heal my broken heart” “I want a deeper passion for God.” “I want a greater understanding of the Scriptures.” “I want to be whole so that my children can be whole.” “I want to walk free from my sin.” “I want God to use me to help others.”

What is the one thing you want God to do in your life right now?

Name it and cling to it. Let it be the dream that drives you out of bed.

Kerri Strug dreamt about standing atop the podium with the medal hanging around her neck.

I dream about one day hearing my children talk about what a patient mother I am.

What’s your dream? Imagine a scenario. And when your alarm goes off, remember that no amount of sleep or warmth will make that scenario a reality.

Action Step:
Take time right now to pray about what your purpose is. Then come back here and share it with us. Let’s pray for and encourage one another as we pursue our goals.

Here’s Kerri’s dream coming true (RSS and email readers, click here to view video). Enjoy!

Comments

• Julie says:

My purpose is to have quality time with God. To learn scripture. I also know that if I am going to start exercising, the only time I can do it is in the morning. I went to bed late last night because i was trying to finish my lesson plan but I set my alarm for 5am anyway. I got up at 5:20 this morning and started exercising with my Jillian Michael’s Shred dvd. I am exhausted but thrilled that I got up. Now I am off to have some time with the Lord. I am praying for all of you to reach your goals:) You CAN do it!!

• My purpose is to become a more understanding mother. I want to be my kids’ coach, not their nag. I want to help them become all that God has in store for them. I don’t want to get frustrated at their childishness, but recognize it and teach them. Great post!

• Alexis R says:

My purpose is simple….to spend time with God so that I may get to know him better! To live a life of surrender, obedience, joy, and peace!

• My purpose is to be the husband my wife deserves and to be a daddy my children can be proud of. For me, it all starts with a strong faith in God and a deep appreciation of the gift that he has given me in my wife and kids.

• DeAna says:

My purpose is two-fold. On the spiritual side, I want to be a more patient mother, and more in tune with God’s Spirit so that I can be closer to him. On the physical side, I want to get in shape and drop weight so I can prepare for Baby #3 (not pregnant yet but would like to be, just need to get my weight checked first). To do both, I need to get out of bed by 5:30am. I’ve been doing 6:15/6:20 and spending time with my Heavenly Father in the morning. But the physical exercise…I’m such a procrastinator, and I dread getting up so early! I’m getting better, little by little, so long as I go to bed at a decent time.

Your comments about Kerri are very inspiring. I know that I can do it. We all can.

• Kat says:

” little by little”

That’s the key. Faithful progression toward a goal guarantees success. You can do it DeAna!

• Lisa M says:

I want to have passion for life and Jesus.

• Lisa says:

I want to be more like Jesus instead of like me so I can be free from my fears, anxieties, depression and sin. I want to be the wife and Mom to four girls that God desires from me and I can only do that with knowing Jesus more.

• I want to be more patient and intentional with my children, and feel a sence of pride and purpose with my current role in life. Rising earlier (and going to bed earlier) will help fend off the lies the enemy likes to shoot out telling me the little people around me are a hassle rather than a blessing, that the housework and day-to-day routines are a burden, rather than view it as a ministry to my family and friends. Rising early to hear the gentle voice to spur me on to love and good deeds rather than focusing on SELF and what I think I WANT what I NEED. All I really need is to be FILLED up with Christ himself and all the other areas gain proper perspective and I find peace. It’s difficult to make that purposeful, it’d be great if there were some tangible prize or award for motherhood like an olympian, huh? ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Wow – this is great!! I want to be a happier, positive infulence in my girls lives…. I have been way to negative lately!!

• Kat says:

I’ve been guilty of that too. I don’t always notice it, though, until I see/hear them being negative too. That always snaps me out of it.

• Jennifer says:

My goal is to have a greater passon for God. I’ve been in a dry spell lately, just kinda going through the motions. I know my kids can sense when I’m off, so I really want to “snap out of this” as soon as possible! ๐Ÿ™‚

• My purpose:
    -To spend more time with God
    -To set up the focus for the day
    -To witness to my chn
    -To change my heart.

• Shana says:

My purpose is to dig into the word before the day begins, so God can help set the tone for my day. My other purpose is to get in a little exercise as well to energize myself. Having time to myself in those two ways will encourage me and guide me throughout the day to be feel better about myself and what I can accomplish.

• Jessica says:

I want to be focused on my family. And I need time for myself with having four kids and homeschooling. I also need time uninterrupted with God.

• May says:

I want to spend time with God and hear what He has to say to me. I want to be a patient mom when I homeschool my children. However, I am struggling BIG TIME. I am struggling with physical pain in my lower back and left arm from holding my 4-mo old. I have been going to bed early like 8:30pm and still wake up exhausted and in pain. It doesn’t help that my children have been sneaking into bed with us (I have been too tired to noticed!) and leaving less space for me to sleep. I am trying to wake up at 6:30 but I am just too tired. I think this post helps me to focus on why I am doing this and I will be more motivated….

• Stacie says:

I want to be a patient, joyful, engaged, present mother who loves my children so much it hurts and who is sure that they are sure that they are loved. I want to find my belief in God again, so I can stop doubting the truth in what I’m teaching my children. I want to have purpose in my day, instead of falling out of bed at 10:30 and not getting school started until 1pm. I don’t want my children to look back at their childhood as unorganized, lazy, wasted, not fun, haphazard, and full of an angry, unreliable Momma. The momma I had planned to be has gotten lost and this one here is foreign to me and I often times hate her. I want less of me and more of Him and want to serve my children instead of seeing them as a disturbance. So a dear friend sent me the link to your blog and I cannot believe how almost every word you write is me…speaks to me…like God was telling you about ME and what I needed to hear. I’ve been crying in my chair for almost an hour, being moved by what I’m reading. Thank you so much.

• Kat says:

You’re evident deep desire to be a great mother makes me thing that you’re probably a better mother than you give yourself credit for. And the amazing thing about kids is that they are so forgiving and resilient.

I’m so glad the words here have encouraged you. You have also encouraged me to write more of them.

Praying for you, Stacie…

• Deanne says:

Stacie,

As I read your words, I am weeping, because I could have written every.single.one. We can do this, girlfriend! I am praying for you right now, all the way from Hong Kong. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Julie says:

feeling a little discouraged:( Actually managed to only snooze the alarm once and got up at 510 but my brand new exercise dvd wont work. Well, I guess that means more time with God:) Have a Great day<3

• Kat says:

Julie,
      Ugh. That must be frustrating. I hope the extra time with God made up for it. I do hope you have a wonderful day!

• Teresa says:

I want to be a mother and wife filled with the grace of God to make my home and family a positive place to be

• Elaine says:

My purpose is to survive dark times and cling to Jesus with all that I am. My daily plan is to read the Bible, pray for my husband and son and trust Jesus with healing my marriage. To be the best wife and mother I can, to be a shining example of Christ.

• Jenny says:

My purpose is to reach the potential that God has for my life and then inspire my children to do the same. That’s why I desperately need to spend much more time in His presence every day. Thanks for the post.

• jeniece says:

I so agree with many of your posts. I to want to know and Love God more, and encourage my family to do the same. I just struggle with getting up, but you have all encouraged me.

• Jasmin says:

I want peace in my heart and to live life joyfully. I’m constantly anxious. My husband says I have too many things going on in my head at once. He’s praying for me as well. There’s really nothing to be anxious about. God has taken care of me and proven His faithfulness time after time. I know if I could just have a closer relationship with Him and place my faith in Him, His peace would come. My daughter is just 3 months old. She’s not likely to remember how I am now, but I wouldn’t want her growing up with an anxious mother. I’d love to be a good example for her.

• […] next series that weรขโ‚ฌโ„ขll cover here at Inspired To Action has to do with the post about Kerri Strug from the other […]

• Erica says:

I want to be a sweet wife, yet strong in prayer and encouragement for my husband. I want to be a fun, happy mommy that is a good disciplinarian for the right reasons. I want to be closer to Jesus and be able to be led by the Spirit minute to minute to make the most of my days for His Kingdom

• Latisha says:

I want to be a better me, mom, wife and daughter. I want to grow closer to God. Overcome my stuggles with fear. Be a better writer. To have a deeper understand of God’s word. To live life to the fullest. To love life. I want my family to be happy, blessed and enjoy being alive.

• Christin says:

Thank you for this.

My goal is to have a [new] passion for God. To not lose my first love. Everything else will flow from that: patience, joy, healing, freedom, etc.

I really loved what you said here:
    “She had a purpose that was greater than her comfort.”

which goes along with something my pastor said:
    “A comfortable life could never comfort your soul.”

There is much to pray on!

• Diana says:

My goal is to be the mother my daughter need and the wife my husband needs. I have a wonderful daughter and husband, but it seems like when I don’t get that time in the morning or sometime throughout the day to spend with God, they both become a disturbance and almost a bother to me. I hate feeling that way because I am going through the motions and not serving them as I truly want to. When I have been with my Lord, He renews my vision, and I need that daily! In order to meet those two goals, I must meet the one of spending time with God in the morning and letting the mind of Christ be in me.

• Tara says:

I want to fill myself so full of God and His amazing grace and goodness to me, that it flows over into every aspect of my life – that the life I live is a light to those around me. First and foremost my husband and children, my family, my friends, my church and the world around me.
    .-= Tara´s last blog ..Hearty Pox =-.

• April says:

Thank you for this inspiring post! It was just what I needed to hear today. My purpose for waking up early tomorrow morning is to spend some much needed time with the Lord to restore a renewed passion for Him in my life… which will spill over into being more kind and refreshed in my roles as wife and mother. I also need a few minutes of “me” time (my 9 week old), and my only options are early morning or late night.

• Christin says:

I have several reasons. One is just get alone with God (obviously), but also, it takes me forever to wake up and be functional in the morning. Getting up early really helps me be ready for my kids when they wake up. Rather than being groggy for two hours and dragging my feet.
    I notice a 300% difference in my day when I can actually get up early. Tomorrow, I begin again. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Christin says:

Ha! I didn’t realize I commented on this previously. That goal still remains, with the added bonus of the above. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Sami says:

You are sooo inspirational!!! I love your blog!!!

I want to serve my family joyfully and love God so much that it’s contagious to my kids. ๐Ÿ™‚

• NatalieW says:

I have two purposes. One is to grow in wisdom so I know how to evangelize and then disciple my 2-month-old son to love the Lord with all his heart and mind. The second is to increase my faith and trust in God. My husband lost his job two weeks after our son was born, and he hasn’t had any calls for interviews yet. I want to get to the point where scripture is flowing through my mind constantly and I never have any doubts of God’s provision.

• Tiffany Clarke says:

My purpose is to start my day calm and peaceful and energized, instead of a mad rush which puts me in an instant irritable mood.

• Reghan says:

My purpose is to be a patient mother who is able to teach her kids about God through her example. The other purpose I have is to organize my life, which i’m hoping will cut on stress, in turn allowing me to deal properly with the stresses that my kids throw at me.

• Courtenay says:

I need God to heal my broken heart. In April My eldest daughter who was almost 4 watched my husband hit her sister with the tractor on our family farm. My Little Olivia ran into the arms of Jesus that day, and I am left to pick up the pieces. I have been trying to do this on my own, it is time to call on my Father for help!

• Amy says:

My purpose is to be a loving, faithful, and encouraging wife. To love, serve, and educate my children. To welcome new life. To love God above everything in my life. To be a caring and loving daughter, sibling, and friend. To take care of myself by eating healthy and exercising. And to constantly educate myself, improving myself, and wanting to be a better person every day.

• Candace says:

I am new to your site and I am so thankful to the Lord and to you for all that is here! My heart cry as I was contemplating my purpose in getting up early is this, ” Jesus- I want to be to my children who you are to me.” Jesus never brushes me aside because He has more important things to do and I feel I do this so much with my children. In getting up early I would knock out so many of the things I need to get done to function well, so that in their waking hours I am more available to them. Thank you so much for this series!

• Nicky says:

My purpose greater than my comfort is to provide family and friends with a loving, supportive, comfortable, inspiring and empowering environment. Where they are safe and accepted. Where they can be authentic.

And yes I realize that this won’t get down if I wake up later than everyone else every day. ๐Ÿ˜›

• Hannah Olthoff says:

I want to be a respectful wife and a
    gentle Mom. I want to have God’s word hidden in my heart.