Squash The Morning Excuses: Excuse #1 – I’m Too Tired

(I just have to say, I’m blown away by all of you who took the time to introduce yourselves here. Please know I’ve been praying and will be praying for each of you. I hope you’ll take a minute and pray for each other as well.)

Getting up early doesn’t need to mean that we get less sleep. Really. It doesn’t. In fact, we can quite easily get up early enough to read, exercise and pray without sacrificing any sleep at all.

The Super Magical Top Secret Solution

Isn’t that wonderful news?! Wanna hear the super magical top secret solution?

Go. To. Bed. Earlier.

Shocking, but true.

Now, before you slap me in the face, I know (BELIEVE me I know) that’s easier said than done. I have spent FAR too many nights going to bed the same day I needed to wake up.

And who do you think won the “Mean Mommy” award the next day?

Good Evening = Good Morning

So, the key to having a great MORNING routine is to have a great EVENING routine.

I love what Rachel from Small Notebook says, “I love staying up late รขโ‚ฌ” the quiet, the lack of interruptions, the feeling that I get a couple of extra hours added to my day. The only problem is that I’m borrowing the quality from the next day. ”

Truth.

This is why I encourage you to start your morning routine by getting up only 15 minutes earlier. Because you’re actually adjusting your morning AND evening routine. This is imperative. We can only burn the candle at both ends for so long. Eventually we’ll get burned.

Rarely do people stay up late because they’ve been uber-productive all evening. More than likely, it’s because they found their #3 best friend from the 2nd grade on Facebook and they HAVE TO SEE if she’s still rocking the poodle perm. So they check out her pictures. All 327 of them.

Not that I’ve ever done that. Of course.

It’s called the internet time warp, rabbit trail, black hole. And it usually sucks us in after our kids are in bed, our husbands have fallen asleep reading and the dishes are “soaking” in the sink.

Not that you’ve ever done that, either. Of course.

By having a solid evening routine we can get things done, have fun AND go to bed at a reasonable time so that we can get up at a reasonable time.

My Evening Routine

So what does an evening routine look like?

Jimmy and I divide and conquer when it comes to our evening routine. After dinner, he gets the kids ready for bed, while I clean the dishes and tidy the house. That way, once we put the kids to bed, the housework is done and we can both relax with a clear conscience.

Once the kids are in bed, here are the evening tasks I try to complete:
1. Clear out my inbox.
2. Finish any tasks that didn’t get done that day.
3. Write
4. Catch up with friends on Facebook and Twitter
5. Prepare everything I need for the next morning (iPod, running clothes, Bible, notebook, pen etc.)
6. Get ready for bed.
7. Go. To. Bed.

Isn’t it ironic that the very thing we desperately WANT to do in the morning is the very thing we desperately DON’T want to do in the evening. So when you’re headed to bed, pretend you just woke up and now you realized you have 7 more hours to sleep. Ah!

Tip – Bed Time Cue
Just as it’s important to set an alarm to wake us up, we need an alarm to tell us when to go to bed. It doesn’t need to actually be a regular alarm. For me, I go to bed when Jimmy goes to bed. I know that if I stay up later than him I’m most likely doomed to hours of mindless surfing.

For you, perhaps it’s the end of the news or your favorite show. Maybe it’s when you let the dog out or bring the dog in. Maybe setting an actual alarm would help you.

An Important Note – How To Waste An Evening

Just as we’re trying to be intentional about our mornings, it’s important to be intentional about our evenings. That doesn’t mean we need to work or be “productive” in the evening, but it does mean that we need to do things on purpose. So “flipping channels” or “surfing the web” probably aren’t the best uses of our time.

1. Flipping channels
Now, I confess. I’m not much of a TV watcher. So maybe I’m biased here, but mindlessly watching TV one of the worst ways we, as moms, could spend our precious quiet time. Tune in to a show you love. Watch a movie. Check the TV listings. Have a purpose when you watch tv. Don’t just turn it on and expect to find something that will benefit your life. Odds are, you won’t find it.

(Stepping off soapbox.)

2. Surfing the web
That index finger I was pointing at you a minute ago? It has now turned around and is poking my forehead. My biggest time waster is mindlessly following links on blogs, Twitter, Facebook, rss feeds etc.

As sad as it sounds, I’ve found that I need to set a time limit on my web surfing. I think it all goes back to the night I spent 45 minutes researching the Carrie Underwood/Faith Hill award controversy and watched the YouTube video multiple times “just to see if she was really upset.” Because, clearly, spending my time doing that added so much value to my life.

Sheesh. So timers are now my best friend. When the alarm goes off, I have to step AWAY from the computer to get out of the social media trance and be productive again. Sad, but true.

Tonight’s Challenge

My evening routine has improved DRAMATICALLY over the last year. I used to see midnight regularly. Now, I’m usually in bed around 10:30pm. I get a lot more sleep and my kids don’t seem so annoying. Or maybe I’m just not so cranky.

Tonight I challenge you to go to bed 15 minutes earlier, so that tomorrow you can wake up 15 minutes earlier and squash the “I’m too tired to get up excuse”. Are you up for the challenge?

Discussion Point: What time are you planning to go to bed tonight? What are your obstacles?

This post is part of WFMW.

Comments

• Struggler says:

Ooh, number 2, guilty, right now! Off I go to bed ๐Ÿ™‚

• Jasmin says:

I usually go to bed around midnight but I’d really like to get to bed by 10:30 tonight. It’ll be difficult because I failed your last challenge miserably. Instead of waking up 15 minutes early, I woke up an hour later than usual. Another obstacle is having a 10 week old. Most nights are pretty good and others are bad.. real bad. Fortunately, my MIL is here to help me with her tonight.

• Monica says:

I’m planning on going to bed at 11:30 tonight. I know that sounds late but I’m thinking baby steps here. I usually go to bed at midnight so I figure 30 minutes earlier is a good start.
    .-= Monica´s last blog ..The Trip =-.

• Elena says:

I go to bed every night at 10,15pm. It has taken me 8 full years (yes, I repeat, 8 years!!!!) to get this routine. I used to have huge insomnia problems during High School and the doctor said that the only way to correct it was to stick to a schedule. The problem was that I had to change my family habits. In Spain we usually have dinner around 9pm, and we enjoy talking while eating so our dinners can be 1 hour long. That was my biggest obstacle. We now have dinner around 8pm, which still gives me 1 hour before going to bed.
    The biggest obstacles I face every night (I go to bed early, but I battle every night!) are surfing the internet and reading. If I start a book that I cant put down, I usually check the time at 10pm and say: I should go to bed. But one more chapter! And then I check again at 10,15, and 10,30… Till my mom yells from the other room that I have to go to bed.
    About internet, I have found the best possible solution: my laptop is broken and turns off automatically every 20 min. So every night I give myself those first 20min. When the computer turns off, thats my moment to go off line.
    I would like to say, though, that once you get the routine down it is way easier to do everything. Going to bed at 10,30 might sound crazy very early, particularly in Spain during summer when the sun sets at 9,30pm, but once you get used to it, you actually start feeling like going to bed at that precise time. So dont give up, ladies!

• Deanne says:

10:30 is my goal. That actually seems more attainable that being productive this evening, lol.

• Julie says:

My goal is 10:00pm. I’m so mad at myself right now. Monday and Tuesdy I did so great and was up and moving by 5:30am. I run an at home daycare and last night one of my kids left 20 min after my closing time, then helped my husband finish cooking dinner, then went to Walmart to purchase some items for my daycare, then came home and put some of those items together, then at 9:30 was putting my 4 yo to bed, then stayed up til midnight printing my registration packages, oh yeah, and i’m team mom for my teenage daughters softball team so i had to print out picture day info for her team mates. Then went and sat out in front of the tv while i put my registration packages together and then fell asleep trying to “finish” a show i started. Sooooooo, of course I didn’t even bother setting my alarm for 5:30 i set it for 6am but didn’t really get out of bed until about 6:20;( Well, with my goal set for 10pm tonight, and with plans of being super productive today, I know (with a lot of prayer) i will get back on track and get up at 5:30 tomorrow. ๐Ÿ™‚ Praying for all of you<3

• Leslie says:

We like our sleep in this house. So we all go to bed pretty early. My husband is in bed by 8pm to read before going to sleep. My 12yr old daughter (my only child) and I usually are in her bed by 8:30pm to read together and talk until about 9pm. Then, I have a little time for myself to do whatever needs to be done before I go to bed at about 9:30pm. My husband has to be up at 5am and as long as I stick to this routine, I’ll have little trouble getting up at 5:30am. BUT, I do have those nights where I will go check my email and find someone responded to my status on FB and then I’m lost in that world and next thing ya know it’s 11-11:30pm. Then I don’t want to get up. ugh. So I need to be in bed no later than 10pm to get up at 5:30am.

• Becky says:

We’ve been “early to bed, early to rise” people for years, and it IS possible. My alarm goes off at 4:45 on weekdays. In order to feel rested, I have to be asleep before 10:00. That means we start “going to bed” around 9 PM. Remember, there is a routine and it takes some time to complete!! The main thing that helps is we don’t have the television on at all after 6 PM. Yes, I’ll do a last minute check of email/blogs/facebook, but that’s part of the “shut down the computer” routine, and I know anything can be replied to in the morning. It’s not easy, but it works.
    .-= Becky´s last blog ..Family Almanac Revisited =-.

• I think my goal for this week and next will be to be in bed with the tv off and the books down by 11pm. We are usually up till 11:30, so I think that sounds manageable and my husband won’t think I am cutting our evening time together short.
    .-= Unsinkable Kristen´s last blog ..Bubba Speak =-.

• Alexis R says:

Facebook is my black hole….I just don’t know where the time goes when I am on there! My goal is to have lights out @ 10 pm so I can be up @ 6am.

• Elaine says:

I’d like to go to bed around 10 and wake up at 6. My biggest obstacles are activities that go too late at night. For example, we had friends to dinner last night and they didn’t leave till after 9. After cleaning the kitchen and unwinding, I went to bed much later than I would have like (and consequently overslept this morning). Tonight, we have a Bible study that doesn’t end until 10 normally so I won’t even be home until 10:30. I’m just not sure how to deal with the bedtime delayers.

The other obstacles I struggle with is that my husband stays up much later than I like to. I find it very hard to go to sleep while waiting for him to come to bed. I had the same problem when I was a kid and shared a room with my sister.

I’m not giving up on good mornings!!! I just have to figure out how to have good evenings with these challenges.
    .-= Elaine´s last blog ..The Blog That Couldnรขโ‚ฌโ„ขt Be =-.

• Elaine says:

We didn’t get home until 10:30 last night after an amazing time of Bible study with friends. I was still able to get up this morning at 6:15 and get my quiet time in before my daughter woke up!!! Last night, as we went to bed, my husband lamented our late bedtime and said that something has to change. I’m hoping we can talk about it tonight and maybe come up with some solutions together.
      .-= Elaine´s last blog ..The Blog That Couldnรขโ‚ฌโ„ขt Be =-.

• Kat says:

Elaine,
      It’s always SO helpful when our husbands are on the same page. I’ll be praying that you two have a great talk tonight and come up with some solutions.

-Kat

• Sally says:

Last night, I went to bed with my husband. I was totally ready for bed including having washed my face, taken contact out etc. by…drum roll please…9:15 pm. Amazing! I had not been feeling well and knew it would only get worse if I stayed up. It was amazing. My goal bed time is going to be 10 pm each night.

• Andrea says:

I am loving this Blog!!
    You hit all of the things I needed to hear. THANK YOU!!

• Andrea says:

Oh, as I read the other comments, I realized I need to share what I am working on.
    I get up early. I get up at 5am.
    My problem is that I usually go to bed by 11-or later at night. NOT GOOD!!!
    I REALLY need to work on getting to bed at LEAST by 10pm. So that is my goal.
    Good luck to me!!
    (and I am a computer person as well. I need to just SHUT IT OFF and go to bed!!)

• Susana says:

WOW. you wrote this just for me. i know. ๐Ÿ™‚
    my goal is 11 i know late but u have the habit of going to bed at 12.
    reasons: hubby is night owl, fb, blogs, etc and etc. and then when im in bed i realize what i needed to do.
    so tonight….. 11 and then next week 10:30 so i CAN get up early. b

• Kat says:

Susana,
      Honestly, I’m really impressed that you’re taking it slow. It’s easy to say, “I’m going to bed at 10 every night.” But it never gets done. I love that you’re being realistic and allowing yourself to transition.

You can do it Susana!

• Great post!

I usually go to bed between 2-4am and get up at 7am. Terrible for me I know, but I’m self-employed and the only time I can really work is after the kids go to bed. Once I get in a zone, I’m not sleepy. From 5-7pm, the coffee pot is my best friend.

I know I need to do better, but there just aren’t enough hours in the day!
    .-= Heather – Hopelessly Flawed´s last blog ..Like Mother, Like Daughter =-.

• Jeanine says:

Hi Heather!

I’m hopelessly flawed, too :). And now that’s it’s a year later, I’m curious to know if you are going to bed earlier and getting up refreshed. Because I relate to what you described, working best after my youngest is in bed, staying up until 2am or later (usually later).

But then, I can’t get up at any kind of reasonable hour!

So I guess I’m skeptical that I am going to be able to change and am hoping to hear that you did.

Jeanine

• Well…yes and no. I do as a general rule try to go to bed earlier, but when life gets really busy or I have a really big project, I slip back into my old ways. And early for me is midnight, so still late by many’s standards, I know!

I have discovered that scheduling things early in the morning is good for me. I HATE to get up and I’m super tired, but it forces me to get moving right away. And then of course I am tired earlier the next night, so the cycle gets broken that way.

Basically I have this vision of a whole different me in my head – the well-rested, super organized, endlessly patient perfect mom that I cling to the hope that I will one day be, and I try to remind myself that the mom in my head goes to bed early so she can cook her kids a hot breakfast! Hasn’t cured me so far, but it’s a process, right? ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Faith says:

Well…I’m with the gal in Spain. Latin culture is a must later at night type. If it’s not the visits – it’s the parties. ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m getting really good at tuning them out.

I did hear a tip last week from a speaker – our best rest is NOT the early morning sleep, it’s the evening/night time sleeping. This has made me feel less draggy (mental thing I know) in the mornings. But yes, an evening routine is essential.

My goal is in bed by 10pm. Read, talk…whatever after that w/ hubby but the wind down HAS to start earlier. The FB, blogs, and emails just get me wound up and energized so I’m doing my best to NOT do that in the evenings. It creates a better feel for our family too – if we all have the good evening routine to have the good morning routine.
    .-= Faith´s last blog ..Home… sweet home…or desert…sweet desert. =-.

• Elena says:

Thanks Faith! Iร‚ยดm so happy iร‚ยดm not the only one struggling with cultural traditions! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Kim says:

I’m aiming to be in bed with a book by 10:00. No computers after that. Once I’m on the computer it’s a black hole. Like the 30 minutes I spent last night trying to figure out how to make my picture fit on my blog. Wasted time especially since I didn’t even figure it out.
    .-= Kim´s last blog ..Thank You! =-.

• Krista says:

Hi! I am new to this blog. My sister emailed it to me today and I loved what you had to say. I work full time as bookkeeper / accountant and don’t even get home until after 6 every night. My husband is wonderful about helping with meals and dishes but I still only have a few hours at night to do EVERYTHING I feel is Mom and Wife related ๐Ÿ™‚ … surfing the web doesn’t even tempt me and I am not huge on TV either but I still seem to be exhausted trying to keep up with a 5 yr old and 7 yr old and be a good wife. My time with God obviously suffers big time due to dragging myself out of bed just in time to get the girls and myself ready and out the door in the mornings. Then I promise myself I will spend that time at night and end up in a pile of laundry, bills, dishes, school paperwork for the girls etc and fall into bed late exhausted. My husband and I have been trying to keep an exercise routine now for months and have been largely unsuccessful due to life. Being active in school activities and church steals nights away as well as trying to find time for friends and family. I feel overwhelmed a lot of the time and know I am not doing everything I need to but struggling to get what I already have done. Any advice for us full time work and full time housewife Mom’s?! ๐Ÿ™‚ I am going to try the fifteen minutes earlier tonight and in the morning and see how it works. Any other advice would be helpful! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Ashley says:

Simplify your life. Take stock of what all you have going on and see if there is anything you can say “no” to for this season of your life. Know what is a MUST do versus a WANT to do, and focus on getting the MUST dos done, letting the rest fall by the wayside. Each season of life is different, just as each of our lives are different, so there’s no cookie-cutter answer. It just has to work for you!
      .-= Ashley´s last blog .."Angels" by Dr. David Jeremiah =-.

• Edie says:

Krista,

I know how you feel. I’m in the same boat as far as working full time and some nights not getting home until 7pm-ish. I try to have the kids in bed at their bed time (7:30), but it doesn’t always happen that way. I have to get them fed, help with homework, sign papers, get them bathed and in pj’s, and tuck them in bed. That in itself overwhelms me, because I’m always feeling super rushed and leaves me with the guilty feeling of I don’t spend enough time with my kids.

My husband works 12 hr swing shifts and want to spend time with him too. In order to do that it ends up being a late night up together, or a late night of texting just to feel close.

Still working on this. We get up at 6:30am, but I would have to get up earlier in order to have my quiet time…..as far as getting to bed earlier…me and my husband have been trying to work out and that in itself will push us to not getting home fromt he gym until 9-10pm (still needing showers etc).

Let me know how you work it out and I will do the same. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Vanessa says:

My goal is to be in bed and lights out by 10pm. For years I’ve just hated going to bed. I don’t know if it’s because I’m dreading the next day or what, but like another poster said, I’m convinced the best sleep/rest is the one you get before midnight. I can completely relate to this: “I have spent FAR too many nights going to bed the same day I needed to wake up.” My obstacles? Myself really. I’ll think of just one more thing to do. I get too tired in the evening and I need to ‘rest’ before I start on my evening routine which shouldn’t take me as long as it does to get done, but I somehow manage to drag it out. Thank you so much for what you’re doing here to help us through this. I appreciate it.

• Krista says:

Well I just went in and signed up for the e-book on my lunch break and printed it off. I have scanned through and love the practical applications for even me a full time career and housewife! Already set my alarm for 5:30 daily and am committing to try all of this. I LOVE lists and organization so I am excited! Thanks so much for your help!!

• Jessica says:

I am going to bed at or before 9:30 so I can read until 10:15. I am with the commenter who has ‘just one more chapter’ to read and then it’s 11:30 for me and WAY too late…. No obstacles tonight, but I have guests here ALL the time so yesterday we didn’t finish dinner and said goodbye to the guests until 10:30! My goal right now it so go back to bed EARLY when I can ; )

• Tiffany says:

I’m not a night owl – so this is easy for me ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m in bed/lights off by 10:00 most nights! The getting up early enough for quiet time is my struggle…but am setting my alarm clock 15 minutes earlier tomorrow morning!
    .-= Tiffany´s last blog ..Inspired to Action =-.

• Ashley says:

My biggest issue is my insomnia… Most nights, I’m more than happy to got to bed at 10pm (and usually do), but there are a lot of nights when I’m in bed but can’t sleep. I’ve laid in bed awake for HOURS before. Lately, I’ve been trying to get up when I can’t sleep and attempting to be productive with the time I have, even if it does mean not getting to sleep til 2am. And honestly, those are the days it’s easier to get up, versus the ones I actually go to sleep shortly after going to bed!
    .-= Ashley´s last blog .."Angels" by Dr. David Jeremiah =-.

• MaryBeth says:

It’s just a self- discipline problem on my part. I know I want to go to bed earlier, but I don’t consistently make it happen. I’m going to aim for 10:30 in bed and lights out by 11pm for a couple of days and work my way backward from there. I HATE being meany mommy to my 4 girls when I get to bed late; they deserve better than that!!
    .-= MaryBeth´s last blog ..Big Sis =-.

• Shana says:

My goal is to be in bed by 10:30, I do suffer from insomnia as well and have a hard time falling asleep and staying asleep. But I have never changed my morning routine to see if it will help, so I am hopeful, I am a day behind but tomorrow I plan on waking up 6 a.m. and as suggested do a 5 minute walk and a 5 minute read and then move into the normal routine, and do that for a couple days and move it up to 5:45 and see how this works! I sleep better having my husband by my side for some reason, and he can get into the habit of being online too long which is right above our bedroom so that keeps me up not having him by my side and hearing him type away above me. I am actually considering asking him if he would like to do this with me as well, does anyone else have husbands doing it with them?

• Cristina says:

I AM going to bed at 10pm tonight. I’ve been going to bed around 10:30, but I need to bump it up. (5 comes to early, if I don’t.) The obstacles I see, I have a meeting that ends at 9, so that’ll probably mean the kids won’t be ready or in bed when I get home and the kitchen will probably be a mess too. (that’s the reality of how things go when I’m not home.) I’ll have to have a pleading heart to heart with the hubby before I leave.

• Katie says:

Ugh… I didn’t make it to introduce myself yesterday but I would like to participate in these challenges. I have a 2.5 yr old daughter who wakes up at 6:30am and doesn’t go to bed till 8:00pm. I end up staying up too late in order to have time to talk to my husband. (I was reading your schedule and wondering when you do that!) Then I am zonked in the morning. I need more sleep than my husband does, so he often gets up with our daughter and lets me sleep til 7 or 7:30 but then I am behind on my day from the beginning. It’s a challenge.

• Kat says:

Katie,
      Well, my husband works from home. He does stick to a pretty regular work schedule, so he’s generally in his office from about 7 – 5 but I think we’re able to catch up quite a bit when he comes out to get his lunch and coffee and such.

Also, all that stuff I do in the evening, I do while relaxing in the living room with him while he reads or watches sports and we talk a lot then.

It’s such a challenge… There have been easy and hard seasons for me to figure out a schedule that works. But even a 15 minute headstart on the day helps me to feel focused and purposeful. I’ll be praying that you are able to figure out a schedule that works for you and your family.

• Nora says:

My biggest obstacle for going to bed or getting somewhere on time is “one more thing.” It could be one more website, or email. Or, it could be one more task that needs doing.

My plan for going to bed is when the baby does. Usually she is down for the night around 10.

Small changes in wake time are not working for me right now because I need to make a big change so as not to be during baby feeding time. Is this a sensible sort of change for one to take on with a baby in the house?

The most insidious thing I am finding is that now that I’ve decided that I should wake up early to make time for prayer, exercise & planning, if I don’t get up, then it’s not happening at all. Normally, I’d find a way to squeeze in a little most days.

• Elaine says:

I milked the “I have a newborn” excuse for eight months. She started sleeping through the night long ago, but I was still letting myself go back to bed after first feeding at 7 and sleeping until 10. I decided to go back to a sensible wake time (7 and stay up) and then work back from there. I’m at 6:30 reliably now and want to keep working back to 6.
      .-= Elaine´s last blog ..The Blog That Couldnรขโ‚ฌโ„ขt Be =-.

• Kat says:

Nora,
      It depends on how old the baby is and whether you and your baby have a consistent sleep schedule. If you’re not sleeping regularly, then it’s kind of hard to wake up regularly. Perhaps waiting a few weeks would be helpful in regard to a morning routine of Bible study, exercise AND planning.

However, I found that the first feeding of the day with my babies (when they were really little) were often good times for me to read my Bible and pray.

For those times when you don’t get up early, could you set a watch or phone alarm for later in the morning to remind you to get your reading in? Or perhaps put sticky note reminders in places like the bathroom or on the tv?

Thanks so much for sharing Nora.

• Nora says:

Thanks, Elaine & Kat. I was able to get in some good devotional time before she woke today. Half of it alone, and half of it while feeding the baby.

I need to remember that my ultimate goal is daily time in prayer & that early rising is a tool to get me there. The timer is a good idea on those days when things don’t start out according to plan.

• joanna in ca. says:

I sleep better during the day than at night. I struggle a little with insomnia and some anxiety at night, so I put off going to bed. I need to head for bed at 10 and I really need help getting up earlier than noon, as mentioned in my intro. My obstacles are health related but I could do better. A good time for me to be up is 7 am-anything earlier and I either drag during the day or need a nap-my inner rhythm is getting up later and staying up later and I don’t know if that can be changed-can it?
    It’s easier for me to get up when it’s light outside (yeah for summer!) but I still need a nap if I get up too early. I would love to get up with the sun but my body doesn’t seem to be wired that way.
    My goals are to get up and stay up at 7 am and head for bed at 10.

• Jenn says:

So, I’m a day late here and I haven’t started this morning thing yet, but tonight I’m going to go to bed by 11:15pm (cause it’s usually 11:30pm to midnight), and I’ll get up 15 minutes earlier, which for me will be 6:45am.
    Obstacles? We have a busy night with a basketball game for my son and don’t even get home til 8:30pm, then kids to bed, dishes (no dishwasher!), and that I really like watching the 11 o’clock news. I’ll just watch the two top stories tonight…
    .-= Jenn´s last blog ..Goodbye house! =-.

• Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog, Kat. I loooove what your little one said during your Uno game. ๐Ÿ™‚
    .-= Marla Taviano´s last blog ..my own miserable fault =-.

• Question for you. I’ve tried to subscribe to your blog a couple times in Google Reader, and it just keeps subscribing to the comments. ??
    .-= Marla Taviano´s last blog ..my own miserable fault =-.

• Superchikk says:

When I had to get up and go to work, I was always the first one in bed! I need my 8 hours. But since I stay at home and don’t HAVE to get up until the boy does, I have been staying up later with my husband. He enjoys it – he’s not one who likes to be up by himself at night (I do!). My problem is that I am a night owl at heart and get my second wind about 10pm. So if I haven’t started winding down by then, it’s over. I’m up for a while. I have to be intentional about starting my bedtime routine (they’re important for grown-ups too!) at the right time so I can be ready to get in bed by 10 if at all possible. It’s hard. And I’m still not good at getting up before the boy. But it’s better.

• After a day of nothing but soothing tantrums, packing lunches, soothing tanrums, carpool, soothing tantrums, making meals, soo… Well you get the picture, I looooong for some adult interaction. Unfortunatly hubby likes to unwind quietly so I have a facebook, blog, twitter cycle that I must do repeatedly. I deserve it right? But its empty. If I just stopped wasting my time trying to find someone to connect with & I made time for the One who is waiting to connect with I would not be running on empty everyday. This series really hits home for me. Thanks, I look forward to reading more!

• Lisa says:

I am guilty of everything in wasting my evenings. I really want to go to bed by 10:00 but mostly I waste my time, doing nothing of any importance, and get in bed around 11:15. Then I still make myself get up everyday at 6:15 but I know it’s not enough sleep when it is SO hard to be nice to those who live in my house!

• Jessica says:

Hi Jess here. I am planning to go to bed at 10:00. I would love to go to bed at 9:30 but seems to never because (obstacle) the family is used to going to sleep late.

• Herbwifemama says:

I don’t go to bed at a regular time. And I can’t fall asleep til my child is asleep (and she doesn’t have a regular bedtime either). And I stay up later than she does, because I need my “alone time”, which is staunchly in the camp of #2 up there. Tonight, I’m aiming for us to be in bed at 11 pm, and lights out. And I’m going to set a timer for the internet surfing. I won’t spend more than an hour on the net. And when I’m on, I will have a purpose, I won’t just check my internet forums obsessively. Once, and then I’m done. YEAH!

• Tara says:

Until recently I had been being very good about my bedtime/morning routine… I got a bit slack and it’s gone downhill very quickly.

I’m working on beating my early to rise children out of bed again.

So no more channel flicking or endless web surfing for me – 9.30 to bed for sure!

I know I can do it, just have to break the cycle I’ve gotten into.
    .-= Tara´s last blog ..Hearty Pox =-.

• christa says:

Dear Kat,
    I don’t normally post comments, but I just had to thank you from the depths of my heart for calling me on the carpet here AND giving me a nice, hearty middle-of-the-afternoon laugh. ๐Ÿ™‚ I found you through Ann Voskamp (yes, she is amazing).

And yes, I’m supposed to be doing things that are NOT surfing the web at the moment – ha – but needed a rehearsal break.

So glad I followed the impulse this time. I’ll def be back for more. I need this kind of help. ๐Ÿ™‚

peace to you and yours,
    christa wells

• […] of my crazy love for music…the other day Christa Wells commented on this post. Being that I’m the sort of person who reads CD liner notes (lyrics, song credits, musicians […]

• Kimberly says:

Oooh! This is my downfall. We have long days — like last night we didn’t finish eating until fifteen minutes before my youngest’s bed time. An hour later, our oldest was in bed. Usually I stay up at least 2-3 hours after that with my husband because it’s the only quiet time when I don’t have to be *doing* something. But all I do is surf the internet and waste time, really. After reading your Maximizing Your Mornings e-book though, I printed out a whole series of bible study guides. I have the next nine months planned out to read through my entire scriptures! I also printed out a really nice Psalms in 39 Days plan, and that has become part of my bed-time routine. What a difference that makes!! I finish my scripture study then I read three psalms, pray, go to sleep, and so far, I’ve woken up refreshed and ready to go (mostly) dark and early in the morning! I even woke up 15 minutes before my alarm was set to go off today, so I just jumped right out of bed. I can’t thank you enough for the inspiration your e-books have given me!!

• Carla says:

I try to go to bed early…around 10:00. I have been reading everyone’s response and my only question is. How do you get everything done so you dont need to do everything at night? I feel guilty a lot of the time if I am working all day doing chores and not spending my time with the kids (2 and 3 years old) that I leave everything until after dinner when I can quickly rush through laundry, cleaning, dishes, e-mail, committee work etc. Has anyone else felt this way before?

• Kat says:

Carla,
      A couple things that help me:
      1. I don’t do all my chores. I always seem to find more to do, so I know exactly what chores I need to do to make my home feel peaceful and I don’t do any more than those, unless I find myself with an excess of time.

2. When possible I try to do chores with the kids. If I’m folding laundry I’ll let my kids sort the colors or fold the towels. With my little boy, I’ll just pile the towels and let him jump in them or I’ll hide him in them while I fold the rest.

3. My husband gets the kids ready for bed so that after dinner I have a solid chunk of time to get all the chores done. We really try to be done working by the time the kids are in bed.

Of course, things aren’t always perfect and sometimes I’m up late doing chores, but for the most part this system works for us.

I hope some of those ideas help a bit, Carla!

• Haha, thanks — now I had to go check out the Carrie Underwood/Faith Hill award controversy. Never even heard of it. This is a great series, and tonight, I’ll plan on going to bed around 10:00PM. Lights out. I don’t have a set wake-up time, so we’ll start with that!

• Melissa says:

I will try to go to bed tonight at 11:45. That is about 15 min earlier than usual. I would try for earlier but have already planned to skype with my overseas husband at 11pm my time. We have a date for him to help me get organized. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Tiffany Clarke says:

I usually try to get into bed by 10pm, but end up reading and not turning off my light until 10:30, sometimes 11pm. Tonight I am planning on being in bed by 9:45, with lights off at 10pm. I have alot of obstacles for tonight. Alot to do in such a short time (birthday party, and packing camping trailer so we can leave tomorrow for last weekend trip for the year), on top of normal getting kids ready for school tomorrow, and myself ready for work. Hopefully we can focus and get it all done. My goal is to leave my parents by 8pm, have my youngest in bed by 8:30, which leaves and hour and 15 to pack trailer. I have my list of things that need to be packed, so I think we can do it. I did get up this morning a 1/2 hour early. I did devotions, a short stint of excercise, and planned my day. Amazing how my mood was improved. I was less rushed, and actually in a good mood in the morning for a change. Will try it again tomorrow morning.

• Christine says:

Will try to be in bed by 10:00. Usually getting to bed by about 10:45 or 11:00.

• Dusty says:

Any suggestions for me? My hubby works the night shift, not arriving home until 11:30 or later. If I don’t stay up, we never have time together without our three young children around. This has been my greatest hindrance to getting up earlier! But we end up staying up until 1AM or later trying to have conversation that does not involve children!

• Monica Beback says:

Since I would say my usual bedtime is around midnight, sometimes earlier, sometimes later, I am going to shoot for 11:30. It’s nice to know I’m not the only one that becomes entranced when creeping on facebook or watching Jersey Shore re-runs! I also seem to want to get the most done at night but it never actually seems to get done…

• Nicky says:

I’ve been going to bed at around midnight after my baby feeds or, if she’s already asleep, after I pump some milk.

Tonight I’ll go to bed at 10:00, as soon as the current soap I’m following is over. Of course this means getting up two hours later to either feed the tiny one or to pump milk. And then waking up again two hours after that. But I see the benefits of having an extra two hours of sleep…even if it is interrupted.

• Amanda says:

Funny, I already did the calculations a while ago and still haven’t fully followed through with them. I know I need to be IN BED no later than 9:00pm and ultimately need to be waking up at 5:30am. And for me, 7:00am is EARLY, so 5:30am…………….yeah, butt crack of dawn in my mind.

I am HOPING (although I’m not holding my breath and not waiting to find out before I start “practicing”) that our move back to Mountain Time Zone (currently Eastern) will help with that. 5:30 MST is 7:30 EST, which doesn’t sound so bad…..

• Jess says:

Tonight my goal is 10:45pm ๐Ÿ™‚

• Amy says:

Soooo needed to read this today! This I my 4th Hello Mornings challenge and you’d think I would have this! For some reason this time around, it’s been so hard for me! I just told my DH we need to go to bed earlier tonight. Thanks for the encouragement & practical tips.

• Amanda says:

Social media GAMES! I can’t stand the ones like Farmville that REQUIRE you to have a GARGANTUAN amount of friends just to get 5 levels up. But the single player games like, ahem, Papa’s Pancakeria……or pizzeria…..or hot doggeria….and freezeria….and wingeria………………I think I have a problem, lol. Time management games do NOT help my time management, lol.

Surprisingly I’m not addicted to the TV like I thought I’d be. But maybe that’s because I have local channels again and I don’t have to wait til 11pm for my show to come on…or maybe it’s because none of the new seasons have started yet other than Duck Dynasty (which gets over in plenty of time for my bedtime).

• […] I was encouraged by Kat to squash the morning excuses. […]